Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i'm looking for unbiased opinions, preferable from people who have owned or shot these guns...

What is my next purchase?

Kahr CM9
S&W M&P 9 Shield

or possibly Springfield XD9 subcompact

I do NOT pocket carry, i wear IWB 3 to 4 o'clock, and currently have a PT709 to compare to.

·
Registered
21,536 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong there.

I'm partial to Smith, but that's just me.

It's all good!

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,548 Posts
Since you have the 709, the others on your list seem like a duplication of effort.
I'd suggest thinking smaller/lighter (Taurus TCP738) or a lightweight revolver (Taurus M85).

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I suggest a PT111 MilPro 12+1 9mm. Side view similar to PT709 in size, but thicker (3/16") and double stack mag and generally <$340 in SS slide. Still easy to CC. I have the PT140 (same physical dimensions as PT111) and enjoy it immensely - enough that I recently bought another plus a PT111. Weather has prevented me from shooting the latter two - chomping to get to range. LOL

If and when the S&W Shield becomes readily available at a sane price, I'll probably spring for one, even though quite pleased with my Slims, the poor man's Shield. Can't comment on the Kahr.

BTW, doubt it's possible to get an "unbiased" opinion on any gun, good or bad. LOL Enjoy whatever you buy.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
This is the exact question that I've been asking myself. Frankly, I don't know. I have a couple of "weapons" for self-preservation, and "toys" for the range. Since I won the m605, that concludes my needs in those directions.
An investment piece would be nice. I've been scouring the auction sites and haven't found anything that "floats my boat". At $1,200 to $2,500, a Python would be nice, but they are way out of my financial grasp.
My first priority is to replace my "toolbox" to keep them safe. That's where I've been concentrating my efforts lately.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you have the 709, the others on your list seem like a duplication of effort.
I'd suggest thinking smaller/lighter (Taurus TCP738) or a lightweight revolver (Taurus M85).

You are correct sir ! It's called muscle memory from 1 gun to the next. All similar operation, similar draw from holster, point and shoot when SHTF. Not that ever expect it too, but you just never know.
My wife has an LCP, and even though I am small framed (5'10" @ 150 lbs. 32" waist) I still feel that the LCP is too small in my hand. GREAT for concealment, but not something i want to put a ton of rounds down range with to practice.
Looking for something that feels more natural in my hands, not like a toy. But don't want full size either.

I've racked my brain for 2 months, read thousands of posts and reviews, watched you tube reviews, etc. etc. etc. And the 3 on my list are the 3 i'm down to and that's that. Although the XD9sc could be switched for the XDs since it's slimmer. I'm ok with only a 5+1 mag since I learned on an old police .38 special when I was a kid... But i just really like the 9mm round and don't want to have to buy all different types. If SA made a single stack 9mm XDs, that's what I would get, but they don't.

So, I'm at either:

Kahr CM9 6+1
S&W Shield 7+1
XD9sc 13+1 (feels nice in my hand, but is a little on the thick side for me to IWB on my small frame, got to hold one tonight, but not shoot)
or
XDs 45 acp 5+1

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
You won't go wrong with any of those you posted. I was over at my FFL this afternoon picking up a couple of items and he has a SCCY CPX1 9mm with stainless slide and manual safety. Over all the pistol I think is just about the same size as the PT709, but maybe a hair wider. It feels great in the hand by being a little wider grip and the pinky extension helped also. For the price it includes two magazines and pistol new in the box at $269.99 I have him holding one back for me until next week.

Here is what it looks like:
SCCY CPX1-TT, 9mm SS manual safety. NIB : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I have a Ruger LC9, it felt the best when I picked it up and as soon as I shot it I loved it. The trigger takes a couple mags to get used to but once I did accuracy was excellent.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Springfield XD9SC shooter here and I have nothing but praise and adoration for this weapon. They boast that it's a point and shoot platform and it is. I'm a one and half eyed shooter and every time I raise that pistol up to acquire a target all 3 dots are lined up down the barrel. If you get a chance to handle one, try that. Slowly, quickly and in rapid fashion, all 3 dots are on the plane instantly. Here it is with a couple of other amigos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Springfield XD9SC shooter here and I have nothing but praise and adoration for this weapon. They boast that it's a point and shoot platform and it is. I'm a one and half eyed shooter and every time I raise that pistol up to acquire a target all 3 dots are lined up down the barrel. If you get a chance to handle one, try that. Slowly, quickly and in rapid fashion, all 3 dots are on the plane instantly. Here it is with a couple of other amigos.
HUH? Please explain, is this a technique i'm unaware of, or do you have problems with one eye? Sorry if that's too personal a question.

·
Registered
21,536 Posts
von, I like that little Smithy you got; sexy!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
HUH? Please explain, is this a technique i'm unaware of, or do you have problems with one eye? Sorry if that's too personal a question.
Kawboy, use whatever handgun you have there ( make sure it's unloaded ) and quickly go into battery. By that I mean draw, raise your weapon and then pay attention to what you have to do to line up the front sight with the two rear sights. Try it a couple times and see if when you do that that all three dots are there instantly when you aim.

On all of my 1911's, my PT101P and my PT809 I have to raise the front barrel to line up with the rear sights because it's front end heavy. My Kahr PM45 I have to adjust from right to left in that half second and ditto for my Kimber Ultra Carry too. The XD9SC comes into battery instantly and even more noticeable with nightsigts. Like I said if you get a chance to handle one at a LGS, try that. And it is on the XD's brochures.

Oh and I lost most of my sight on my right eye because of a anyuarism and a stroke...not anything personal. Since then I have met a lot of one eyed shooters. Ya do what ya gotta do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
VONZ,

thanks for that tip. ill have to try that. i know from general memory that when i raise my gun to eye sight level, i usually always have to bring the front sight down and left. The dot of my front sight is about a 1 1/2 dots above the right rear sight dot.
But i'll be honest... i've gotten lazy and have relied on using the CT laser most of the time. Which is why i want a second pistol. Keep the laser for the home protection gun (next to my 12 ga.), and have a second to carry on my hip, something i'm more comfortable with using the sights.

I really wish that Springfield made the XDs in 9mm format, then there would be no question. But until that happens, i'm struggling to decide between these few choices, I just really like the slimness of the single stack mag for carry IWB. Plus, with the small (men's sz 8-9 glove) hands i have, the double stack mag sized grips feel too bulky. Although I did learn most of my good shooting techniques while in the Marine Corps. using a military edition Beretta M9A1. But that was on a MP belt with OWB or Thigh holster. Not concealed IWB.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My next purchase was going to be the shield, but I can never find it here in Southern WV. I was at the LGS a few weeks ago looking to see if they had it in and looked at the Kahr CW9 and CM9, ended up getting the CW9. It is actually smaller and lighter than the shield, and $30 cheaper, whichs allways helps lol. Put 200 rounds through it so far with no issues at all, it is a VERY tight little pistol at first, but does start to loosen up some after you shoot it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, think i've got it narrowed down....

Shield.. if I can find one or Pre-order.

Now which, 9mm or 40 ? THAT is the question. never shot a 40 before so not sure what to expect.

When i'm at the range i like to practice like I might have to "protect", In this i mean, I like to shoot single handed, with one hand out to the side, (as if keeping my wife or kids behind me), I also like to practice week hand only, just cause you never know... I also shoot 2 handed grip, slow and rapid. I don't keep with the same shooting fashion every time, because every scenario will be different, IF it ever comes about. And i fully believe that NO amount of training and practice will truly prepare you for it. You won't know how you'll react until the time arises.

Again, as i posted previously, I've always been a .22LR or a 9mm shooter. I've also shot some 32, 38, 357 and 45 guns (and maybe a 40 in there somewhere, but not that i remember), but none of them extensively, maybe a magazine or 2 each (or revolver). The reason I've always stuck with a 9mm is due to the fact that i can re acquire my target quicker.

the last couple days i've spent time talking with my cousin, long time gun nut and avid shooter (he's a die hard 45 fan)
Ive also spent time talking to an old USMC friend of mine from 14 yrs, and another old high school friend of 21 yrs or so. And they both swear by the 40 cal. best of both worlds, speed of 9 and knock down of 45.

So not to get into a "best round" debate.... But i'm just wondering, is the 40 that much more difficult to shoot over the 9mm? Or should i stick with what i know and am familiar with?
I do plan on renting a 40 next time at the range, but that may be a couple weeks from now.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I can't speak to the others, but recently (last six months) I bought two of Kahr cm9s. Ran 300 rnds through the first one flawlessly. My brother shot it and liked it so well he took mine away from me (since I had broken it in) and told me to get myself another (only for a brother). The next one, after the initial cleaning, was not cleaned for 300 rnds and I ran all different types of cheap and dirty .9mm trying to get it to fail. It wouldn't. As far as accuracy its pretty good for a pocket pistol and I didn't have a lot of trouble adapting to the sights. They handle well for small pistols. Recoil is manageable even with hotter loads. Of course you know small pistols are going to have a little kick. However, I had no problems running 100 rnds through it at a time with no ill effects (on me). I've shot some small pistols where I'd had enough after 25 rnds. For the price I think you get a lot of pistol.

Just my limited 2cents worth.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
kawboy613 - The .40 recoil is very noticable (my 709 vs. 740) more vs. 9mm. I prefer it for carry, but it ain't no range gun and no joy shooting 100-150 rds. As I posted elswhere in forum today, I've decided that my .40's will now just get 50 rds.or so on a range trip. I believe I actually shoot the 740 better than the 709. In any case, I would doubt the Shield recoil per caliber will be any different than what I've experienced with the Slims.

Good luck on your Shield quest. I plan to get one when they aren't going for MSRP + and readily available - may be a long wait. LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.