Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, now that I have scratched the 1911 itch for now, I've been thinking and
I believe it is time to add another handgun to my collection. I'm not going to run out
to the gun store and buy it right away so I am open to suggestions for a good single
action .45 LC sixgun. I know Taurus used to make the Gaucho (Are they still being made?)
and Ruger makes the Vaquero but what do y'all like and what would suggest? I'm not
going to drop a lot of money into it, just something that I would enjoy at the range
every now and then and could have a little fun with.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Taurus just combined with Heritage Arms, they seem to stock a SA, 45 colt and 38/357. Might be an option. I have the 22lr/22mag version and love it. Cost would be better than Ruger, or one of the Italian knock offs that everyone seems to buy.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I too have the Heritage 22/22MAG it is a great shooter.

Six Gun 002.jpg

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You could opt for one of these...

020 - Judge Ultralight - Winchester ammo.JPG

Cock the hammer and they shoot .45 LC rather nicely. :D

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Funny, NCFarmer, I've been looking at the Ruger Blackhawk, 45Colt or 357/9mm. Been hesitant to get one because I can't find one to hold, and my fingers are on the very short side of things.... Have you looked in Fuquay yet for any??

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny, NCFarmer, I've been looking at the Ruger Blackhawk, 45Colt or 357/9mm. Been hesitant to get one because I can't find one to hold, and my fingers are are the very short side of things.... Have you looked in Fuquay yet for any??
Not yet, I was looking at 1911s the other day. Sovereign Guns does have a good selection of revolvers.
The other gunstore Fuquay Gun and Gold is more of a semiauto store. They are big on Glock at that store
and I bought two of my Glocks there. If you want to go revolver shopping, I'd go to Sovereign Guns first.

·
17,581 Posts

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Funny, NCFarmer, I've been looking...Been hesitant to get one because I can't find one to hold, and my fingers are are the very short side of things...
The plow handle grips of the 1873 Peacemaker and it's clones was custom make for short digits.

It's the big handed dudes that end up with a finger or two left over after one's picked up.

·
Super Moderator
34,952 Posts
The plow handle grips of the 1873 Peacemaker and it's clones was custom make for short digits.

It's the big handed dudes that end up with a finger or two left over after one's picked up.
Single actions are best fired with the little finger below the grip. Upon recoil, one learns to rotate the gun back into position with the little finger as one cocks the hammer with the thumb. It's really quite natural.

My favorite single actions are one .45 Colt Blackhawk, engraved 4 5/8" wearing Sanbar Stag grips and my cap and ball guns, copies of the Remington '63 pocket .31, Remington '58 5.5" .44, brass frame '51 Navy in .44 with 5" and 7" barrels, and a Ruger Old Army, best shooter of my cap and ball guns. Cap and ball guns can legally be ordered without FFL and one can get a cartridge conversion cylinder for it mail order if one desires. I don't mess with those new fangled cartridge gismos in my cap and ball guns, though. :D Cartridges are for sissies. :D

·
Super Moderator
34,952 Posts
Funny, NCFarmer, I've been looking at the Ruger Blackhawk, 45Colt or 357/9mm. Been hesitant to get one because I can't find one to hold, and my fingers are are the very short side of things.... Have you looked in Fuquay yet for any??
You do know you can buy different grips, don't ya? FIT is no excuse. :D

Got this grip out of a box at a gun show for less than 20 bucks. It's pretty comfy, though not traditional. It's on my .357 Blackhawk which is a hunting revolver.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Fit is a problem when my finger can barely get on the trigger of my poly public defender. Only the grooved trigger allows me to shoot it....

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Unless you are in a hurry, wait and see what Taurus does with Heritage. I have looked at their .32 mag, and would be even happier to own one if it said Taurus on it.......

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The good thing about single actions is the interest created by the Cowboy Action shooters. You have several companies making them and quality has improved. I shoot single actions in everything from .17 caliber to the 480, in both plain Jane factory and custom. The .45 is fun to shoot, some companies offer guns with two cylinders, a .45 colt and a 45 acp cylinder. I have duel cylinder 45's in Ruger and Uberti, but there are also other companies that offer them. You can also get fixed or adjustable sights. The 22 rimfires are also addictive in single action. I would start looking in pawn shops, local gun stores, gun shows, etc. Read about them, find someone that owns and shoot them and shoot one some. The smaller calibers have less recoil and are easier for some to shoot. They are addictive, and they have a way of multiplying in gun safes, on range trips, and make goofy grins break out on shooters faces. You were warned. Who for a small single action look at the Ruger bearcat, it is a 22 and much smaller.

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
I went with the Vaquero Old Model, in .45 Colt. The New Model wasn't available at the time. It's overbuilt, like all Rugers, which I like.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I belong and shot with a cowboy action group and the brand of choice is either the Ruger or like me Uberti SAA. Now the Uberti is a true Colt 1873 clone while the Ruger is not. The Uberti also actually builds some of the Colt guns today as well as Cimarron and others. Good guns but limited to the orginal Colt 45 pressures, though a 45 colt using black powder or smokeless is still potent regardless. They sure cause a lot of deaths in their day of both man and beast. Now if you want high powdered go Ruger as they are not true clone in that they are a bit bigger and handle higher pressure loads. Nothing wrong with the Heritage other than it isn't the level of a Uberti so sure not a Ruger. Difference in price is a $100 to $200 range also.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have a pair of Ruger Single Sixes, an old model 3 screw Blackhawk 38-357-9mm, Old model Ruger Bearcat, and a mid 60's Herters 22LR SA made in Germany and I love them all!

·
Super Moderator
34,952 Posts
I've always shied away from Heritage revolvers due to the materials of construction. I want STEEL and Rugers are STEEL. I don't own a SA .22 revolver, though. Had a Hawes back in the 60s, my first handgun. It was a zamak wonder and didn't last.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
You do know you can buy different grips, don't ya? FIT is no excuse. :D

Got this grip out of a box at a gun show for less than 20 bucks. It's pretty comfy, though not traditional. It's on my .357 Blackhawk which is a hunting revolver.

That grip is a Herrett Shooting Star or an imitation of one. I had a set of Herrett Shooting Stars on my .44mag Super Blackhawk. They made that gun a total pleasure to shoot!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts