Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting started looking now. Won't be buying for a while but since the DHS is buying 450mi rnds of 40 it's time to look at getting a 40. I tend to be able to point shoot more naturally with a single stack pistol but I like being able to soot in SA and I do like having a rolling block safety. I will want to carry it regularly. So 740, PX4 storm or something else? Love my TCP so the 740 is a natural.

Wish the ranges around here had a better selection of rentals.

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
I love my Taurus PT940, it is a nice size and light weight for a metal pistol. However it is discontinued so can be a little tough to find.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
PT140 here!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
So 740, PX4 storm or something else? Love my TCP so the 740 is a natural.
For me a 740 is not large enough to handle a 180 grain .40 S&W comfortably. I am 5'11 and 220 pounds with medium sized hands. Now if your in shape and are bigger than me then absolutely go for the 740. If not I would like to suggest the compact Stoeger Cougar 8040. They are basically the same as the PX4, and Beretta Cougar, just aluminum framed instead of polymer. They are also about $120.00 less than the PX4. I know they sell them at Academy maybe you could check one out, handle it and see how it fits? Cant wait to find out what you end up with.

Stoeger Cougar Double-Action, Auto-Loading Pistol

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I am a huge fan of the .40 caliber. I've been shooting it since it first came out, and have no complaints. All of the suggestions are great, especially the Stoeger Cougar -- it's a lot of pistol for the money. May I also suggest the Ruger SR40. I bought one a little while back, and it is a tremendous pistol for the money as well. It sells within $50 of the Cougar.

One thing though. Are you interested in a more traditional DA/SA or striker fired? My SR40 is striker fired, and although very light in pull, it does have a different feel compared to a more traditional trigger system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts