Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I asked a local small gun shop owner if he thought ammo prices would be coming down. His reply "Gun Prices are coming down, but ammo prices will increase 25% in the next 90 days!" A gun shop acquaintance from the past few years and another shop grabbed me to visit and I never got around to asking a reason.

This morning, I asked another friend ( a gun guru) if he had heard anything about ammo taking a jump and he said the manufactures were raising ammo prices on distributors and dealers 20% in the next 90 days. I'm sure big retailers like Walmart have contracts as well as distributors, and that as they expire, they may do so.

If I was a fatcat with an ammo manufacture and looked at the prices of ammo on Gunbroker, I'd be wondering why we were selling cheap and not raising prices too.

Let me know if anyone has heard anything substantive on this, or if it's just folks trying to keep the prices up.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Haven't read anything about this, and I'm very skeptical of whatever I read. I don't take ANYTHING heard seriously unless a source is named and corroborated in writing, and even then everything written has to go through my finely tuned baloney detector. I'm sure you are reporting honestly what you heard, but "They said," and "I heard," are notoriously unreliable sources in my limited experience. Caveat Lector!

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Gunshops are notorious dens of gossip, the beauty parlor for men.

·
Registered
813 Posts
We really don't have a free market economy anymore. However, when markets are self adjusting [as opposed to being artificially manipulated] increased demand tends to drive prices up. Scarcity has the same effect. Intrinsic value of an item can defy or mitigate some of the supply and demand effect too. I suspect that the current high prices in ammunition are based on an anticipated shortage which has triggered hoarding. The fear that our DHS is trying to decrease the civilian supply of weapons and ammunition by criminalizing the weapons and buying millions of rounds plays into it as well.

The Democrats will be out of office within the next couple of years, so this won't last forever.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Other than the inevitable effects of supply and demand (excess demand), it is possible that ammo prices could possibly come down.

The price of many of the components, most notably copper, have been dropping. Copper is used both as jackets and as a component of the brass alloy.

spot-copper-6m-Large.gif

Lead has also been dropping in price:

spot-lead-1y-Large.gif

IMHO, I agree with others here that gun shop scuttlebutt is often inaccurate.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing bothering me, is while a good percentage of Americans are suspect about Benghazi, the IRS attack, fast and furious and the AP situation, Obama's popularity rating has not dropped.

Mine can't drop any further until another hour goes by, then it drops again to a new low, but I can only count as one negative vote, and the scary thing is, those who are for him don't quit liking him or even believe he is responsible as long as he doesn't shut off the goodies, he can be king.

Scary isn't it.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have also heard a few rumblings about this but until their is a surplus sitting in their warehouses, and I hate to say it, they would be dumb not to raise them, as far as business practices go. Look at gas prices, it seems that $4 a gallon is the cutoff where we quit driving as much and a surplus gets built up so keep it around $3.60-$3.75 a gallon and its all good. They will charge what we will pay

Reactions: samkent

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
If they raise them then maybe they'll be able to finance some more production capacity.......

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Hell,if I would have won the powerball,l I would start an ammo company from the ground up. $377 million cash pay out should get something started.good way to protect that from capital gains too.just sayin,...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If prices go UP instead of down, this old retiree will resort to airsoft. I'm hanging on to my stores of all calibers. Tired of exorbitant range fees anyway.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Surprised copper is going down, given the mine landslide in Utah last month.
Minnesota has been spending money like a drunken sailor on shore leave the past couple of years to fast track a mining venture in the iron range area to mine copper and other precious metals. The sad part about it is the company doing the mining is a foreign company! :mad:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have also heard a few rumblings about this but until their is a surplus sitting in their warehouses, and I hate to say it, they would be dumb not to raise them, as far as business practices go. Look at gas prices, it seems that $4 a gallon is the cutoff where we quit driving as much and a surplus gets built up so keep it around $3.60-$3.75 a gallon and its all good. They will charge what we will pay
Gas up here in Minnesota has been at $4.39 a gallon for the past ten days and who knows when it will come back down if it ever does. The price of gas is killing the economy up here and it isn't just the tourism ( which has dropped off steeply causing many resorts to raise the alarm ), but people are not getting out to shop or even go out to eat like they normally do.

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Any more I will believe just about anything that hits the rumor mill when firearms and ammo are the matter of subject. I'm still picking up and adding to my little stash of ammo when the price is right. I'm not going to be "stupid dumb" and pay some of the prices some are asking.

As for the range and shooting, it's been awhile. I keep up my practice with my most often called upon carry choices, but the remainder of my collection sits nice and pretty collecting a light layer of dust and little sunlight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts