Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just picked up my new 24/7G2 9mm, and i was hoping to get out to shoot it but weather and the fact it may have issues may force me to wait.

I already added a comment ot one of the trigger reset SA to DA threads, so i hope i can get answers.

I just realised as i'm typing this, i probaby should have gotten more aggressive with the finger fondling when i was in the store, and maybe i wouldn't be in the position of having to call CS now. i was too sucked in to the sale price, and the
"MUST BUY A GUN NOW CAUSE I HAVE BIG PILE O'MONEY!!!!!" syndrome. buy hey it was 379.99 +tax/WI-DOJ Fee....

Thanks again
norm

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Welcome , Norm - dude ;)

I already saw your other post first, and responded there, but I'll say again - I THINK YOU'RE GOOD TO GO. Until you can make a range trip to fully test, but it sounds normal to me. You have certainly come to the right place. There are many victims of that 'syndrome' here. I had a relapse yesterday, and came home with a PT101P. Oh the suffering!! :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You've made a good popular choice in the G2. A picture would be nice, a range report even nicer.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Well, Congratulations, Norm! I know you will enjoy your new pistola :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new G2. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
183 Posts
sorry no camera (aka money went to ammo:cool:), and i hope to get out to the range (aka dad's big back yard) soon
I'm sure you have a cell phone,? most of those have cameras. :D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Be sure to clean it really good before shooting it in order to avoid problems. My G2 is approaching 1000 rounds since Thanksgiving and I have not had any problems with it. The trigger broke in nicely by 500 rounds and now it is very fun and reliable. Just get out and throw some lead and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You've made a good popular choice in the G2. A picture would be nice, a range report even nicer.
bre346: Does this mean you are hopping on the G2 bandwagon:guns:? (j/k) Saw some awesome cars from Victoria at the Lone Star Austin Show btw. You guys got good taste over there in Victoria.

:nopics:

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Yep, that's right.

There are some around here who say: "...without pics, it didn't happen..." :icon_ poke:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry not even a cell phone camera....never saw the need for a cell phone or even one of those cheap prepaid "burn phone" jobbers...

·
Registered
542 Posts
I already added a comment ot one of the trigger reset SA to DA threads, so i hope i can get answers.

Thanks again
norm

I was under the impression that the G2 was a striker fired version of a hammer fired traditional DA/SA semi auto, meaning that every time i jacked the slide whether mag/no mag, snap cap or live ammo or what ever the gun would be in SA mode unless i had a misfire or a snap cap, or i used the decock lever, then it would be in DA mode

I will hope fully be able to get out and shoot it this comming week, and i'll see what happens...
Norm, I assume this was the question you mentioned, and like me your initial impression was incorrect.

The G2 slide does not lock the striker back (to SA mode) unless the trigger is pulled while the slide is back. This happens naturally when you are firing because the slide travels much faster than you release the trigger. If you remove the slide (field strip) and pull the trigger, you will see a smal metal piece fall into place to hold the mechanism back. There is something on the slide that keeps that metal piece from staying in the locking position if the trigger is not pulled, resulting in "decocking" the pistol.

Any time you are firing the gun, the striker should stay in the SA mode for the next shot. If it doesn't you may have a problem. You can confirm it is in SA mode both by the cocked indicator and the trigger position. Any time you rack the slide without the trigger pulled, it will revert to DA mode, and again if it doesn't do this then you may have a problem.

If you want to start with the gun in SA mode after it has been decocked by some method, the simplest (and to me safest) way is to remove the magazine and pull back and lock the slide. Now you know it is empty and safe. Now pull the trigger, and you will be able to tell by the trigger position that it is in SA mode. Insert the magazine, release the slide and you are ready to go in SA mode, cocked and locked if you so desire. You can also rack the slide and release it with the trigger pulled to achieve the same result, but that makes me nervous (call me a chicken if you want) so I like the slide locked back before I pull the trigger.

One other tip - don't over lube your G2 after cleaning. A little grease on the slide and barrel and a drop of oil on the striker shaft is more than enough. More is NOT better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok now i'm really confused. So the g2 is really a double action only type?.....

You know what, i'm going to stay quiet until i can get out and actually shoot the darn thing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
ok now i'm really confused. So the g2 is really a double action only type?.....

You know what, i'm going to stay quiet until i can get out and actually shoot the darn thing.
No, it is not a DAO, it is a DA/SA with options (benefits?). If you have been shooting and put in a fresh magazine, it is in SA mode unless you de-ock it. If you have just disassembled/cleaned it and put in a fresh magazine, it is in DA mode until after the first shot. Unless you manually put it is SA mode as described above. So you have the choice in how you carry it. You can carry it "cocked and locked" with the safety on and the first shot SA. You can carry it in DA for th first shot with the safety on. Or you can carry it like a revolver, first shot DA and no safety.

As you say, just get out an shoot it - you'll love it, I believe. It is confusing to hear it described, but it makes sense as you start to use it. You can also start to understand it with dry fire practice, but remember it stays in DA mode unless you cock it as described. Just racking the slide does not cock it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Congrats and Welcome from Southern Orygun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No, it is not a DAO, it is a DA/SA with options (benefits?). If you have been shooting and put in a fresh magazine, it is in SA mode unless you de-ock it. If you have just disassembled/cleaned it and put in a fresh magazine, it is in DA mode until after the first shot. Unless you manually put it is SA mode as described above. So you have the choice in how you carry it. You can carry it "cocked and locked" with the safety on and the first shot SA. You can carry it in DA for th first shot with the safety on. Or you can carry it like a revolver, first shot DA and no safety.

As you say, just get out an shoot it - you'll love it, I believe. It is confusing to hear it described, but it makes sense as you start to use it. You can also start to understand it with dry fire practice, but remember it stays in DA mode unless you cock it as described. Just racking the slide does not cock it.

i'm not good at communicating in realife or on the interweb...
how would firing the gun be any different that maually pulling the slide back? like i said i thought this was going to be like a PT92 with a traditional da first shot/ sa every shot till slide lock. i would think the trigger would be in sa mode regardless how the slide moved, whether by firing or maual action, until decocked by the lever or firing on a snap cap

I hate to say it but i'm so confused now that i may never like the gun at all and i may just leave it in the safe for now.....

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
i'm not good at communicating in realife or on the interweb...
how would firing the gun be any different that maually pulling the slide back? like i said i thought this was going to be like a PT92 with a traditional da first shot/ sa every shot till slide lock. i would think the trigger would be in sa mode regardless how the slide moved, whether by firing or maual action, until decocked by the lever or firing on a snap cap

I hate to say it but i'm so confused now that i may never like the gun at all and i may just leave it in the safe for now.....
BECAUSE IT IS. :D I'm no 'smith, but I'd guess that it has something to do with the 'strike two', as well as just giving another carry option. Unless the trigger is put in SA mode by one of the methods already described, the very first shot will be DA, and all the next shots will be SA until de-cocked, or you hit a dud. Once you actually get some rounds fired, and see it for yourself, I'm sure it'll make more sense, but it is certainly no reason to "...just leave it in the safe...". Perhaps it might be better to not compare it to anything else (PT92), just experience it, and accept it for what it is.

So when are you gonna fire that thing?? :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts