Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, newbie to the site, found my way here from 1911.org with the help of Cimarron (thank you). A little about me.......have two PT1911s in the house, one my fiance bought, one I bought. Both blued (i wanted SS but couldn't find it). Hers is the shining example of all the raves we read about the PT1911, and mine is kind of the "red-headed stepchild black sheep" of the family. I have gotten started in action pistol shoots at a local gun club, starting out with an EAA Witness Full Size in .40S&W. Still love the gun, but being the eternal tinkerer I needed something that has an aftermarket like the 10/22. I looked REALLY hard at the base Kimbers, but put money down on the PT when I realized I could buy my new holster, mag pouches, and equipment belt in addition to an extended slide release and mag well for the priceI'd pay for The Kimber Custom Target II. My fiance had hers for about a month before i made the buy, and based on it's performance I had confidence in buying another. Mine has a little more play in the slide/frame than hers, but I know accuracy from a 1911 comes more from bushing/barrel/barrel link& lockup so i didn't sweat it. What aggrivates me is that the gun shoots LOW, as in 12 O'clock hold at 15yards low. I'm planning on fitting a new bushing, checking barrel link length, and new sights (adj fiber op) if I can ever decide on what i want.

I shoot with some good friends that are machinists and long time 1911 tuners, so I don't worry about strightening it out.

We almost exclusively shoot reloads, 230g TC hard cast. As after 150 rounds or so things start to gunk up, the barrels have been MILDLY throated. NEVER had a FTF, and only two stovepipes after about 500 rounds with the gun FILTHY. I'll never run two matches with out cleaning again.lol

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like the PT1911. If I had any advice for someone getting ready to drop money on one, handle it, make sure it's tight at the bushing and barrel lockup!

Even though mine has had a few issues in comparison to the missus', they are still A great gun that's got the 1911 world a little off keel right now. If anyone gives you grief about a PT, it's either good ol funnin or someones frustrated at how much they've paid for essentially the same thing.

More soon y'all, nice to be here.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Welcome to a friendly world and I appreciate your honesty.

I can't tell others what they ought to choose, but I can tell you what my experience has been so far and everything has gone great thus far.

The slide to frame mating is good and tight, trigger is very good out of the box, and When shooting at 10 yrds, I get a fist sized hole after 2-3 clips.

I had your problem with my PT145 and I replaced the front sight with a HiViz fiber optic and it is right on. The PT1911 is right on at 10 yrds, but I think I'll put a PSI adjustable rear sight because this gun begs to be able to be adjusted to longer shooting distances.

The 1911 is too heavy for carry comfortably... the PT145 is just right

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cimarron, do you have any experience with the PSI TTF series sights? I'm interested in them for my PT1911, but wondering if I'd have to cut new dovetails for both or if maybe i could get at least one to fit without removing metal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts