Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, all! New to this forum and - I must say - I'm glad I found it. Long-time Taurus PT92 owner and very much enjoy it for a range gun. Now, I'm looking for a potential CCW/keep in the desk drawer just in case gun. I am looking for a 9mm. So far, I've been led towards Kel-Tek (too small; doesn't feel "right"), SPringfield XD (LOVE the gun; not so hot about the price), S&W MP9c (ditto re. XD). Had been planning on rolling LOTS of quarters for an XD and then someone mentioned the Mil Pro PT111.

I need to go to the gunshop and handle one, but it looks like what I am hunting for - a smaller size gun (which is probably "midsize" technically speaking) that is decently priced (hopefully <$300, and the lower the better!), is "combat accurate," and is reliable.

My question/concern is this DA/SA trigger. So, how does the DA/SA trigger work? I know about the reset and understand that. When I chamber a round, will my first shot be classic "DA" or is there a way to set it for SA? As I recall, the trigger pull seems very long to an old 1911/PT92 (cocked & locked) guy. My brother has a 24/7 and I shot it once (about 20 rounds or so). It was - to my 1911 and PT92 style mindset - funky. I knew I was shooting poorly because of it. If I go with the 111, I know I would have to practice (oh, darn!) to really learn that trigger.

Can anyone help me understand this trigger?

Thanks,
Preacher_man

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like I had my models wrong. It's the 24/7 that has the DA/SA trigger. The PT111 Mil Pro is DA only, right?

Sorry...
Preacher man

·
Registered
625 Posts
It depends on what generation you are talking about. The 3rd generation (newer models) are DA/SA just like the 24/7. By saying that a gun is DA/SA, the idea is that the firing mechanism can be actuated in two different ways. It's easier to explain this by talking about revolvers, although the concept is the same with a striker fired pistol as well.

On a DA revolver, if the hammer is down, you can fire the gun by pulling the trigger. The trigger actually cocks the gun AND fires it. On a single action gun, you have to manually cock the gun. The trigger only fires it. In the DA gun, the trigger has two purposes, cocking and firing. In a single action, the trigger only fires (thus a single "action"). Now, here's the confusing part of all of this... Although these guns are called DA/SA guns, in reality, they are basically SA only. Now, why would I say that? Well, since there is not hammer to cock, and no decocker, the only way that the gun can be "cocked" is when you rack the slide, and load the first round. So, at that moment, the round is loaded and the gun is "cocked." since you cannot actually decock the gun, this means that the trigger is actually only serving a single roll, that of firing the gun.

I HIGHLY recommend that you go to a gunshop that will allow youy to try out the guin before buying it. At the very least, go someplace that doesn't nmind your dry firing it a few times. The Taurus PT series typically has a very LONG DA pull. some appear gritty while some aren't too bad. I have the PT145 and my trigger isn't very smooth, but it does have a fairly crisp break.

Todd

·
32,789 Posts
Preacher-man. If you feel the trigger on the 24/7 is funky as you say the Taurus PT111 is going to seem about the same as the 24/7.

If you are looking for a drawer smallish gun, then why not consider of all things a revolver or the PT 911 series of pistols in 9mm.

Here's the reasoning.
Revolvers: Models 617(.357 magnum) and 817 (.38 Special) have 2" snubbie barrels, but have 7 shot capability.HKS makes speedloaders and Bianchi has their Speedstrips to hold extra ammo.

Easy manual of arms, no safties or levers to deal with, and one can tailor the ammo more so than with a semi-auto. It's also easier to grab the curved handgrips easier and more efficiently than with semi-autos. Been documented on that.

Handgrips can be changed or altered to the user's tastes and needs.

911 semiauto: Splits the difference between full size and compact.

This gun is similar in every way practically as the 92. Both are cousins. Controls are the same. Has the heft for steady shooting, controls that you are well aquainted with,and would be easier to learn and stay proficient with.

DA/SA or long DAO triggers are a whole different breed of cat compared to the traditional DA/SA semi-autos you have come to know. Takes more time,experience, and training with these compared to the 92 or 911.Have to throw out just about everything you know about shooting to a degree and start over.

I can say this all with some experience. Do own a PT111 Mil/pro. Do own 3 Ruger P series DA/SA pistols. Transitioning between the two takes some doing. Not that much, but there is some mind set change.

While the PT111 is a neat little gun it does take some getting used to.
I do have both Taurus revolvers and two semi-autos.

So there you have it. :)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Good advice... the 24/7 and MilPro triggers ARE NOT adjustable. They are what they are. Some folks love them because of the extra intention required even for the lighters SA mode... you have the mean to fire the gun.

A lot of other gun, like the Glocks, have a short action trigger which may seem nice, but in a moment of excitement, are subject to accidental discharge. The Taurus does at least require you to move your finger through a longer arc to fire the gun... no heavier a trigger than the Glocks, but more intentional. I have a PT145 and it is a comforting thing.

I have a PT1911... very short, crisp, <4# trigger, but I would be nervous using it for CCW because it is a "target" gun. The PT145 is a CCW weapon from the ground up and with the safety (think cocked and locked) and the long trigger pull... it will shoot when I pull the trigger, but I won't have to worry about shaky hands setting it off accidentially.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good points and descriptions of the trigger. Once you get used to it it can be a great trigger, I personally loathe DAO, so it's great for me. After a few hundred rounds you can fire and reset to the break point very easily, and other than the long (but feather light) take up to the break it's great, once at the break it's fairly crisp for this type of gun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So...let me see if I am understanding this trigger description. I insert a loaded clip, rack the slide, and I'll have a "single action" - albeit, long - trigger pull. BANG. Gun cycles. I release the trigger slightly (maybe 1/2 way?) and it resets to SA for a 2nd shot. BANG. Gun cycles. Again, slightly release the trigger. This time, CLICK - dud round. This time I let the trigger go all the way forward. Now, I have a DA trigger to allow me double-strike capability?

Now, I shoot a few rapidly. BANG cycle BANG cycle BANG cycle. This time I let the trigger travel all the way forward. Now it's DA?

Is this accurate - even if quite elementary in it's description???

Thanks,
Preacher

PS. If my thread title is misleading or disconcerting in any way, my most sincere apologies to all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kind of. You have the first part right, but the rapid shot description is wrong. The only time you will experience the DA pull is in the case of a failed round. Even in rapid fire it remains SA, even if you let the trigger go all the way forward again, you'll just have that long extremely light take up to the break, but it's still SA. Letting the trigger go all the way forward has no bearing on it, it's whether or not the action is cycled either manually or in the course of firing.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
preacher_man said:
Now, I shoot a few rapidly. BANG cycle BANG cycle BANG cycle. This time I let the trigger travel all the way forward. Now it's DA?
Only resets to DA if you have BANG cycle BANG cycle CLICK DA BANG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.