Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So fist off I wanna start off by saying that I'm 26 and I've never owned or fired a gun prior to my purchase of the pt840. I bought it because I read good reviews online and videos of it. Anyways here's what's going on. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do (I wanna learn but be nice,,, :S)

every time I load a magazine I rack the slide (I think that's the expression) and a bullet gets stuck half way between the chamber and the loader.. (The chrome thing that guides the bullet from the mag to the barrel). I cleaned it and took it to the range again, it happened again. The only way I won't have a jam is if I leave it in the open position (where the slide is back) and I insert the mag and release the slide.

anyways let me know what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do right.. I love this gun when it shoots (very accurate.. Even for a beginner) but I wish I could get it to work right off the bat (because I got it for home defense reasons... It has to be ready quick)

*** be nice ppl!! Lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
It sounds like you may be riding the slide. That is, not letting the slide snap forward on it's own. Also, make sure all the factory packing grease is cleaned out of the extractor area and the extractor is well lubricated.
taurus-pt840-3_jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,126 Posts
^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^
you're better off locking the slide open, inserting the mag, and releasing the slide. As you discovered. You solved the problem. Welcome to the forum and autos. We were all newbies once.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Welcome from northern Michigan!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of handguns! About your problem, what they said. good cleaning and don't try be gentle with racking

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Glad to have you join us.

You may want to ask a friend who is a little more experienced with semi-auto pistols to rack the slide and load a round to see if he or she experiences what you are describing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome from SC

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

Enjoy your PT-840!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I just brought my new Taurus home. They said it was a Duotone and it looked like the "duo" part was a slightly different shade of blue. I cleaned it up and, lo and behold, the blue turned out to be stainless! There is a lot of grease on and IN them when they come out of the box and that needs to be gotten rid of. Hope that's all your problem turns out to be. Welcome from the Bayou State!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Dont hold onto the slide when you rack it. Pull ot back as far as it goes and let it go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts