Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to thank everyone who posts to this forum. I have been doing research for the past 2 weeks on 9mms and finally bought a 24/7. The posts on this forum were a great resource for all of my questions before purchasing.

This is the first gun I've owned and have what may be a stupid question. I took it apart and cleaned it for the first time tonight. When reassembling it, when I pull the slide back with an empty magazine, the barrel moves back about 1/4" when the slide is locked. It may have been doing it before I took it apart, I never noticed. I was giving things an extra careful inspection after cleaning and reassembling, and this is when I noticed the issue. The slide disassembly latch did snap back into place, which leads me to believe I put everything back together correctly. I just wanted to make sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be posting a range report after I get the chance to get to the range Saturday.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
The 24/7 you have and the PT92 referenced in your link, while both are Taurus Pistols, are vastly different designs.

The PT92 (which I have) locks up in the rear of the barrel/chamber area via an oscillating wedge/cam to the slide supported by the frame. There is no lockup of the barrel in the front of the PT92 slide, as noted in the linked information.

Your PT24/7 will lockup at the rear of the barrel to the slide supported by the frame also, via the blocked Chamber area to the Slide Ejection Port. There is also supposed to be some lockup of the barrel to the slide at the muzzle end of the frame and 1/4 inch is too much! I would have to examine your pistol to really know what's going on with it. You might wish to take it to a good local gunsmith, familiar with the design, to get it inspected. (Do not take it to a Gunsmith who only works on 1911's and will tell you to sell it and go buy a Kimber!) Perhaps the dealer you purchased it from may help you, but don't let them talk you into buying yet another gun. The 24/7 you purchased should be just fine!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I may have been sligthly off when I said a quarter inch. When the slide locks the barrel is a hair on the other side of the frame. I can post pics if it would help you see it. I brought it to the range today and had some people more experienced then myself take a look at it. They all said it looked great and were all very impressed with it. I think they had all heard bad things about Taurus but had never seen one for themselves.

At the range I put about 100 rounds through it and ran into the same problem twice. Twice I pulled the trigger and got a click, not a bang. It seemed to be happening when after firing a round, I would keep too much pressure on the trigger and not let it reset itself all the way. I was trying to pull until I had resistance and then squeeze in one motion. After firing I would keep the trigger to about where I thought there would be resistance, and upon squeezing again, got nothing. Does the trigger need to come forward to a certain point to reset? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
AZ_Ref said:
when I pull the slide back with an empty magazine, the barrel moves back about 1/4" when the slide is locked.
Just a thought. I've found that sometimes when I'm putting it back together the barrel will slide back out of position and not be far enough forward to hook onto the positioning pin. Make sure the barrel is all the way to the front when reassembling it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JimL said:
Just a thought. I've found that sometimes when I'm putting it back together the barrel will slide back out of position and not be far enough forward to hook onto the positioning pin. Make sure the barrel is all the way to the front when reassembling it.
It seems to me it would be damn near impossible to get the pin in with the barrel in the wrong place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts