Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, for the life of me i cannot get the hang of these straight 8 sights. can someone please inform me of possible errors and how to correct them (could it be my grip). i am under the assumption that the top dot covers the target at 25 yards but i still shoot low and left, help me please.

thanks for all replies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like the Heinie sights very much. As a newbie shooting at 25 yards, you must have very good vision. I shoot 7 to 10 yards at 1" dots most of the time so I can see the bullet pattern develop while shooting (it sucks getting old). The dots are there for combat shooting, but for target shooting, I ignore them. Instead, I focus on the front sight. I align the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight. I make sure the light bars on either side of the front sight are the same. On some guns the rear notch is too narrow, or the front sight is too wide to see the light bars well. The Heinie sights are fine in this respect.

To adjust for right/left (windage) there are metric allen bolts that anchor the Heinie front and rear sights. I think it is 1.5 mm in front and 2 mm in the rear. Make sure the allen wrench fits well and is fully seated. Loosen with counter clock wise turns. Drift the sight with a brass punch and small hammer. The soft brass with not mar the sight. On my Mil Pros, the sights could be drifted easily by removing the slide and laying it on its side. With some other brand I have had to clamp the slide in aluminum lined vise jaws, in order to deliver a hard whack. Drift the front sight towards the bullet impact or the rear away from bullet impact. It does not take much drift at all for a short sight radius. Lock down both sights with allen wrenches.

To correct for low impact, one can file down the top of the front sight. The heinie sights are extremely hard steel and not easy to file. Mask off the slide so you don't mar it is you slip with the file. Take off only a small fraction of a mm at a time, because it does not take much to change point of impact. Use cold bluing to redarken the top of the front sight. Alternatively you could install a lower front sight.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
i too like the heinie sights.when i was taking my CHL class i told my instructer (ex navy seal)that i think my sights were off a little so he asked me if he can try my gun(24/7 pro) and i told him sure so he took it to his target and fired it at 10 yards and hit dead center and the next 3 he hit the same hole.then he said there dont seem to be anything wrong with my sights.point is i bet your sights are good so i would practice before you adjust them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If the newbie is shooting groups at 25 yards, he must be doing something right. Mine shoots a little low too, but there is no excuse for settling on shooting right or left since the Heinie sights are easily windage adjustable. Both of my Mil Pros shoot windage correct when both the front and rear sights are exactly centered in the slides' dovetail notches, but your results may vary. I have other brands where the rear sight must be pushed way over to one side. I have some dovetail Williams Fire Sights on order out of curiousity and will give a review in the future.

·
Registered
89 Posts
shooting low and to the left is caused by your trigger pull usually,

www.guntalk.tv they have a bunch of good video's about proper shooting and they address the low and left in one of them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts