Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 3rd gen PT145 ss. Im having some misfeeds and light primer strikes. The light primer strikes are getting better. The first 100 rounds were blaser brass and i had more of a problem with those with the strikes (about once every 10-20 rounds). Now im using winchester fmj ammo 230g ammo from walmart.

I am having two kind of misfeeds. The first one only happened once or twice and it looked like the round didnt strip off the mag at all. This could be my fault as I was shooting one handed when it happened (letting the gun bounce more and cancel the momentum of the slide).

The 2nd type of misfeed is when the round gets stripped partially but the rear part of the round is still under the slide. Im thinkin its either the slide not going far back enough or the mag maybe. The round is pretty steep almost laying flat on the feed ramp. I have about 220 rounds through the pistol with the first 100 being blaser brass and the rest winchester.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Mil Pro PT145 2nd generation. I get misfeeds with Winchester ValuPak, but not with hotter rounds (Golden Saber, Corbon, etc.). Have you tried something besides FMJ? It may not always feed better than hollow points.

·
32,658 Posts
GerbilWarrior got that one straight.

Break in peiods for guns are like cars. It takes a while to do it. between 200- 500 rounds can be the norm. Like car engines,one takes it easy on the gun and lets the parts wear in.
This may go away with time or be becasue of several factors.

As GerbalWarrior pointed out, the ammo can be a primary source of troubles.
Small or compact guns from any company do have ammo issues to overcome. Has to do with physics and the limitations of putting full size performance in a much tighter package.

So experimenting with various brands of ammo are in order. Maybe a lot, but that is not likely.
More and more ammo makers are going to lead free primers. The downside to this is lead free primers are harder to ignite for a number of reasons. More misfires are being reported with leadfree primers than with lead in them. ammo makers are diligently working on this, but have a way to go to deal with this recurring problem.

Seating a magazine all the way in and having it properly seated also needs to be considered. Fully loaded mags are heavy enough to need assistance into the well. There should be a colid audible click of a properly inseted and locked magazine. A tap on the bottom of the magazine, with the flat palm of the hand after insertion, assures this.

Lastly, this could be a weak firing pin spring or the firing pin,do to machining or otherwise, could be too short. Replacement might be needed or a stronger newer spring of the proper type inserted and the old one removed.

A reputable local gunsmith might be able to get the part or parts and do the job. Or it's back to the factory for warranty work.Not what you want to hear, but may be necessary.

Take these in the order presented here to solve this problem. Ammo difference problablyw ill take care of it. If not check the seating of the mag. If not, then go with the repairs.

Both the ammo and seating posiibility can be checked at about the same time while at the range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More ammo testing for me. I make sure the mag is seated properly. Just bought 2 boxes of remington USP.

Thanks every one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm wondering about these posted problems as to how many of these individuals actually stripped their weapons down before going to the range for first time and thoroughly cleaned all the goop and grease from it prior to shooting it. I know my PT145 was literally caked with the stuff from factory and I gave it a total going over before firing for first time. I have shot CCI Blazer Brass and WWB and have had zero malfunctions(knock on wood).

·
32,658 Posts
nitinsharma1000 said:
More ammo testing for me. I make sure the mag is seated properly. Just bought 2 boxes of remington USP.

Thanks every one.
Let us know how it all goes.

Gunzrfunz, you hit the nail on the head.

Humans being somewhat lazy on gun maintenance( been there and do that at times), or expect " brand spanking new off the show room floor", are in for a bit of disappointment.

These guns are test fired at the factory and may be so more than once through this process. It happens. Oiling and lubing for shipment and long term storage just add to the "gunk" or dirty problem.

So a cleaning and lube prior to shooting is mandatory.

As for the the ammo being dirty. All of it is to a certain extent. Some more than others for various reasons.

All powders have varied burning rates. All powders burn faster or slower depending on their chemistry and physical make up. Also for what these powders were designed to do.

Slower burning powders go for long barreled guns in general or to give the pressure spike curve more time to peakand then die out. There are other reasons, but won't go into all the details

Faster burning powders normally go for short barreled guns. Or can.
Just to make matters worse there are powders with middle of the road burn rates as well.

There are a lot of vagaries and many factors as to how powders burn, are used in what ammo for what reasons, and perform in the field.

With the short barreled pistols, the various powders wind up burning outside the gun or do not completely burning up inside. No chance to convert to useable energy. Not enough room to do so.

Temperature, humidity, and other factors cause performance characteristic changes as well.
So know we take commercial ammo of the various brands and shoot them through all types of pistols with varying degrees of all the factors presented here so far.
These same ammos all have to fit and function through all the various pistols in known existence.

What to try to come up with that recipe folks?

All these powders, in all these types of ammo, for practice or general use, are not normally the fast burn rate kind. Personal defense ammo is normally geared toward fast rate powders that will burn efficiently in medium to long barreled guns.Some ammo is designed for shorty barrels, but there are still too short barrels to take into consideration

Take all these ammos and shoot them out through very stubby barrels just similar to a 2in. snubbie revolver, or less barrel length.

Pistols measure barrel length in such a way that the whole cartridge case takes up a good portion of that "barrel length". This means a 3 in. barreled pistol may actually have only a 2in. or less true length for the bullet to travel before it leaves the gun.

With all the at has been described above, is it any wonder that people think that their ammo has the dirtiest grit,grime, and baked on gunk when shot out of these short barreled weapons?

Granted, the ammo makers are going to use a general use powder for there ammo to cut costs, but fit and function are still at the heart of the whole thing.
Ammo makers have to come up with an economical way to have that fit and function work through a multitude of weapons. And.... do it profitly. That's why they're is the business.
Yes, there are cheap powders, but that again does not mean poor quality as many will think.
Cheap and crappy gets one's profits and business taking away by others in a cut throat market.

So if we have to all apply some "elbow grease" and labor to cleaning the gun, so be it. :)

Most ammo makers do try to have very efficient burning powders. It's in their best interests to do so with the picky crowd of shooters out there who demand performance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I read a post on another message board with a similar issue with a PT145 and they used Gun Scrubber to give it a real good cleaning and oiled it back up and it worked fine. While I never had any issues with mine, I thought I would use some Gun Scrubber and even though I had cleaned it often and thoroughly, I still got a lot of gunk out of it that was there since the factory. Give it a shot and see if that helps.

·
32,658 Posts
One caveat on the Gun Scrubber. Great stuff that it is, it will do damage to polymer,wood and rubber if it comes into contact with any of these. Take the grips off or shelter the sections that are vulnerable.

There is a Gun Scrubber that is supposed to be polymer safe, but check this out very carefully. There have been some reports that this will do some damage. Just not as much as the regular brand. Testing on this can be done on on a very small section that won't be seen by others or affect function.
As goofy as this may sound, testing the polymer friendly spray on an article made of polymer that is cheap, can be discarded and won't be missed might be a cheap way of doing this without sacrificing the gun's surfaces.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually cleaned/oiled the pistol twice before going to the range the first time. The maximum no. of rounds ive fired thru it without cleaning is around 120. I didnt get a chance to go tot he range after i started the thread. I cant wait.
Qwiks draw, i use the spray scrubber made by Shooter's Choice and it is polymer safe. It doesent smell horrible like Break Free either.
Thanks for all the info on the ammo.

·
32,658 Posts
Then the recipe changed for Gun Scrubber. I have a Ruger P series pistol with a decent sized discolored spot.Gun Scrubber was the only solvent the accidently touched the frame.This was a few years back.

There were also gun writer's articles from a year ago also cautioning about this very thing. Gun Scrubber and other solvents were the reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a PT145... cleaned and lubed it before shooting it. Put 700 rds through it to date. At about 400 notice a change in firing and usage... was for the better. Had a few jams but none in the last 200 rounds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got a chance to go to the range today. The light primer strikes are all gone. But the misfeeds are still there. I have to use the range's own ammo, so my only choice was Independence. I had the same misfeeds as before. I had about 5-6 in a 100 rounds. I took some pictures of the misfeeds. Same as before it looks like the slide didnt go back all the way to 'catch' the rim of the round. One of those misfeeds looked different. The nose of the round was pointing a little downwards and was cured by cycling the slide without taking the mag out. Looked like the magazines fault. So thats about 350 rounds till now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think it's a magazine problem. have you tried both mags, and if so did the failure happen on both of them or just one in particular?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to the range yesterday and it misfed atleast once every 10 rounds on both magazines. I ve decided im gonna send it back. Ive shot 500 rounds upto now. I have noticed that one of the edges on the channel inside the slide is not machined right. It is really rough and it grinded off a corner off the rearmost portion of the frame( the peice where the serial no. is). Maybe its because of this the slide has trouble going back with full force. Im gonna post pics of that soon because im gonna send pics with my pistol to taurus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
nitinsharma1000 said:
I finally got a chance to go to the range today. The light primer strikes are all gone. But the misfeeds are still there. I have to use the range's own ammo, so my only choice was Independence. I had the same misfeeds as before. I had about 5-6 in a 100 rounds. I took some pictures of the misfeeds. Same as before it looks like the slide didnt go back all the way to 'catch' the rim of the round. One of those misfeeds looked different. The nose of the round was pointing a little downwards and was cured by cycling the slide without taking the mag out. Looked like the magazines fault. So thats about 350 rounds till now.
I've had similar problems as well with my PT145. This past weekend was the clincher. I was on my fourth mag (approx. 1100 rnds to date) when it jammed with a round stuck in the breech and the slide would not budge. The gunsmith had to remove the slide to find that the slide rail on the frame had a chunk missing as well as the rail guide on the slide. The gun has been shipped to Taurus for repair. You can see my full post in Millennium (Pro) Pistols titled, "PT145 Mil Pro Slide Breaks." I hope you have better luck than I did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally sent the pistol to taurus today. Not too happy to pay fedex $42. They have recieved it lets see what happens. Wish my baby some luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
nitinsharma1000 said:
Finally sent the pistol to taurus today. Not too happy to pay fedex $42. They have recieved it lets see what happens. Wish my baby some luck.
I hear ya! Today makes 4 weeks since my dealer shipped it to Taurus. I called the dealer on Friday and he said to not even think about getting a response from Taurus for at least 2 to 4 more weeks. Ugh! Funny, no mention of the slow service when they sold me the gun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts