Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first Taurus, Model 85 2B, 2 inch barrel, .38 Special, +P rated. Haven't got to the shooting range to try it out yet, but soon. I figure I'll practice with 148gr wadcutters, but I haven't decided on what type of ammo to keep for personal defence purposes. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
What part of N.M.?? My son was born in Portales... I hope you enjoy your 85 as much as I have my 851. It became a favorite quickly. I'm sure you can get lots of advise on ammo selection here. Welcome aboard!!

·
32,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum. And you're really going to make us do this aren't you? :)

Going to assign homework already. :D
Let me start out with this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heavy .38 Special +P Short Barrel Low Flash Printed Order Form

Heavy .38 Special +P Short Barrel Low Flash

Item No. 20A/20 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P.--G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.) Per Box of 20
$20.99
Order Now
Item No. 20B/20 125 gr. L.V. Speer Uni Core (1,050fps/M.E. 306 ft.lbs.) Per Box of 20
$20.99
Order Now

About Buffalo Bore Heavy .38 Special +P ammo

The new Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 SPL+p ammo will maximize the effectiveness of your 38 SPL revolver. The powders are flash suppressed so as to not hinder your vision should you be required to drop the hammer in low light.

Item 20A/20 is the terrific SOFT lead semi wad cutter hollow cavity bullet, however we've added a gas check to stop the leading that this load typically causes with other manufacturers version of this bullet.

Item 20B/20 uses the low velocity (LV) Gold Dot bullet that is designed to expand at as little as 800 fps, so you will get expansion out of very short barrels.

Whether you prefer the very soft semi wadcutter lead bullet, or a very soft JHC, (jacketed hollow cavity) these HVY 38 SPL+p loads will turbo charge your 38 SPL revolver.

The tactical reload: Short (2 to 2.5 inch) barreled revolvers have short ejectors. Those short ejectors typically used on 2 inch to 2.5 inch barreled revolvers are not long enough to fully eject 357 magnum brass. So if you are forced into a situation where you need to reload your weapon under fire, you will find yourself picking your fired/empty 357 brass out of the cylinder one at a time—this is very bad. On the other hand, 38SPL brass is shorter than 357 brass and those short ejectors will often fully eject 38SPL brass. We have experimented a great deal with short barreled revolvers and have found that 38SPL brass normally offers an advantage if you need to reload your “snub nose” revolver, in a hurry.

Check out the below velocities that I fired from my personal revolvers. We believe that real world, stock, “over the counter” guns, give real world results, so we don’t advertise velocities that are fired from long test barrels.

These 38SPL+P loads are generating low-end 357 magnum, ballistics. If you have an older or more fragile 38SPL, or if you are recoil sensitive, consider using our HVY Standard Pressure 38SPL ammunition. It is safe to be fired in any 38SPL revolver and it still packs much more punch than ordinary 38SPL ammo.

Item 20A: 158gr., very soft cast, semi wad cutter, (Keith) hollow cavity, with a gas check. This bullet will mushroom violently on impact and will penetrate roughly 14 inches in human flesh. Again, this bullet is gas checked and will not lead your barrel.

S&W mod. 60, 2 inch—1040 fps (379 ft. lbs.)
S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch—1059 fps (393 ft. lbs.)
Ruger SP101, 3 inch—1143 fps (458 ft. lbs.)
S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch—1162 fps (474 ft. lbs.)

Item 20B: 125gr. Speer Uni-core (Gold Dot). This is the Low velocity version designed to expand under 800 fps. It will mushroom violently and penetrate roughly 12 inches in human flesh.

a. S&W mod 60, 2 inch—1072 fps (319 ft. lbs.)
b. S&W mod 66, 2.5 inch—1108 fps (341 ft. lbs.)
c. Ruger SP101, 3 inch—1180 fps (386 ft. lbs.)
d. S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch—1258 fps (439 ft. lbs.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Heavy .38 Special Printed Order Form

Standard Pressure Short Barrel
Heavy .38 Special

Item No. 20C/20 158gr. very soft lead cast, SWC-HC gas checked bullet — 854 fps (256 ft. lbs.) from S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel Per Box of 20
$20.99
Order Now
Item No. 20D/20 Very hard cast 150gr. WAD CUTTER bullet — 868 fps (251 ft. lbs.)from S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel Per Box of 20
$20.99
Order Now
Item No. 20E/20 Speer Low Velocity uni-core 125 gr. Jacketed hollow cavity — 921 fps (235 ft. lbs.) from S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel Per Box of 20
$20.99
Order Now

Standard Pressure, Short Barrel, Lower Recoil, Heavy 38 SPL

Due to customer demand, we’ve developed this defensive 38SPL ammo. Our customers wanted some devastating 38SPL loads that would fill the following criteria.

It won’t hurt older/fragile/alloy revolvers. (Non +P)
Is effective as a “fight stopper” through the use of proper bullets.
Is more powerful than typical/standard, weak 38SPL ammo.
Generate much less recoil than our +P 38SPL ammo.
Is flash suppressed.
Buffalo Bore is introducing these three different heavy, yet standard pressure loadings for 38 SPL. These offerings are loaded at standard pressure, but they are much more powerful than normal 38SPL ammo. These loads will not harm older more fragile revolvers. So, these loads are safe for use in ANY 38 SPL revolver, provided it is in normal working condition. As stated above, the “POWER” level of these loads is really closer to a typical +P power level, but the pressure is standard. We are able to develop these powerful standard pressure loads with modern non-canister powders. Again, these loads recoil far less than our +P 38 SPL ammo.

All three of these loads are flash suppressed, so firing them in the dark wont blind you. We use flash suppressed powder in our defensive ammo, in the loadings we can, because over 90% of all civilian shootings in America, occur in low light, when the criminal element is at work. We don’t want you blinded by your own gunfire after the first shot.

Item 20C utilizes the same 158gr. very soft lead cast, SWC-HC gas checked bullet, we load in our +P 38 SPL ammo. It is designed to expand and then penetrate quite deep. (Approx. 14 inches in human tissue) This bullet is gas checked and will NOT lead your barrel. Note the below velocities that I recorded out of my personal revolvers—NOT TEST BARRELS!

S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel—854 fps (256 ft. lbs.)
S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch barrel—871 fps (266 ft. lbs.)
Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel—930 fps (303 ft. lbs.)
S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch barrel—979 fps (336 ft. lbs.)
Item 20D utilizes a very hard cast 150gr. WAD CUTTER bullet. The bullet is made hard, so it won’t deform or mushroom. It cuts/crushes a “cookie cutter”, full diameter hole in human flesh just like it does on a paper target. It penetrates deeply (roughly 14 to 16 inches in human tissue) and its full diameter profile maximizes blood loss as it cuts and crushes (not slips or slides) its way through tissue. Although I’ve never been shot with a full profile wad cutter bullet, I must assume that the initial impact of that wide flat nosed bullet, is crushingly formidable. As a teenager, I took to the woods on a regular basis and killed many a critter with heavily loaded 38SPL wad cutters’. The effect of a full profile wad cutter on small game was obvious and amazing, compared to regular round nosed bullets. That flat nose, literally hammers living things. These bullets are hard and properly lubed and will NOT lead your barrel. Note my velocities from real world “over the counter” revolvers—NOT TEST BARRELS!

a. S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel—868 fps (251 ft. lbs.)
b. S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch barrel—890 fps (264 ft. lbs.)
c. Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel—961 fps (308 ft. lbs.)
d. S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch barrel—1005 fps (336 ft. lbs.)

Item 20E utilizes a Speer Low Velocity uni-core (Gold Dot) 125 gr. Jacketed hollow nose bullet. This bullet is designed to expand at low speeds and has no problem opening up at considerably less velocity than our advertised 900 fps, from two inch barrels. Penetration in human tissue is roughly 12 inches. Note my test velocities below from real world, “over the counter” revolvers—NOT TEST BARRELS!

S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel—921 fps (235 ft. lbs.)
S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch barrel—938 fps (244 ft. lbs.)
Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel—1019 fps (288 ft. lbs.)
S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch barrel—1078 fps (322 ft. lbs.)

Then take this.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=775.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1081.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1847.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1926.0

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2188.0

Guess. Just guess what one of our more asked questions is. BUWAHAHAHAHA!! ::) :eek: :D ;) :) :soapbox: :devil: :thumb: :evil: Ask, and ye shall recieve. There is much useful info in each link. Though things do get repeated in some areas.

For the most part I use Remington 158gr.LSWCHP in +P for most of my defense revolvers, but am taking hard look at the Buffalo Bore standard pressure rounds.

Am a great believer in standard pressure rounds for defense if practical. All the reasons for this are in the links.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Titanium. ABQ here. Hope my 85 proves as enjoyable as your 851.

Wow, Quiks draw. Didn't expect so much homework! That's what you get for asking the over-asked question, I guess. Thanks for all the info to follow up on.

·
32,661 Posts
At any gun forum that has to be one of the top 5 asked questions. It would be nice if this kind of thing could be FAQed or stickied, but quick changing circumstances prevent that.

Going over just about all the old and new threads is a must. So much to see and so little time. :)

Don't take me seriously on the question you posed. Just be serious about the info within the links and this thread. :)

Just wait until you ask something else. Oh,brother!!!! ;D ;)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us here. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Never knew a forum existed specifically on Taurus. Already finding a wealth of info and good reads.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Gotta love those Taurus revolvers. My 650 has always been a favorite.
New Mexico is one of my favorite places as well, and I hope to be visiting Santa Fe and Taos at the end of September.
Good luck with the new gun!

mfm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops...sorry 'bout that QWicks.

Thanks for the welcome, Michael. The wife and I went out to the Shooting Range park yesterday. We were both impressed with the Taurus. Shot a bunch of 158gr wc's, some Federal 110gr. Hydrashoks, and a few Winchester 125gr. JHP +P's. Someone, on one of these forums somewhere, said that his wife had difficulties pulling the Model 85 trigger, but we didn't have any such problems ourselves. I'm happy with this purchase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts