Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be picking up a pt145 milpro relatively soon, i wanted a hawg, but they seem to be plagued by so many issues, so ill wait till i have 3 times the budget to make one work perfectly. my stupid question is does taurus make a non polymer frame for this gun, or anyone, or does taurus make a non polymer frmae for another gun that you can convert. just curious, i prefer all metal, just a personal thing. i currently rock the 454 raging bull long barrel. im not a gun nut, but i love guns. thats it, look forward to learning all their is about this model, great forum.

·
32,788 Posts
There are no stupid questions here and yours is a very good question indeed. Taurus has the model 92 or 100. These are similar in most respects to the Beretta 92 or M9 in military parlance. These are in 9X19mm. or .40 S&W calibers in that order. Their PT99 and 101 are the adjustable sighted models of that same design. Then there are the PT911,940, and 945. These are in 9X19mm.,.40S&W, and .45ACP calibers in that order. Then there are the full size PT1911s in ..45ACP. Depends on what type you are looking for. All these models are the centerfire metal framed ones.Since allthe cartridge types named so far are excellent picks, the choices you have are many. If you make a list of criterea as of what you want or nee,then you can look over the many types and pick one that fits you and your needs. I recommend that you read some of the FAQs at that board and the advice of some of the FAQs may prove to be indespensible. Go to www.taurususa.com . There you can request a catalog that will get to you in about 3 to 6 weeks. One can find everything at their sight and look there , order the catalog, or downpoad a PDF manual and take a gander at the metal framed pistols with exploded views of the inner workings as well as how the operate. All the stats and specs on them are there as well. Check the left hand column of the website for connections to the manuals or catalogs.

·
32,788 Posts
The percieved problems with the Para Ordnance Hawg are many. The early versions had many FTE and FTF problems. Part of it was because of the mass in the slides being enough for consistent function. This is because getting the mass of the slide right for smaller pistols can be harder than for bigger ones. What worked mathematically did not pan out in the real world. Para wound up with Hawgs sitting in the wharehouses and having few takers. That was for a few years. Those being sold now might be the same ones from earlier or have been re-engineered to function properly. I do not now, but it is something to take into consideration. A call to the factory would sraighten out that problem.
Then there was the fact that little beast is a chunk of gun and hard to hide for CCW compared to other small pistols.
Hanging on to one was sited as a problem as well for those with small or very large hands.
This was written up in the gun magazines when the pistol first made the scene some years back and continued to have problems for a short period after that. Ads for this gun disappeared for awhile and have recently been brought out again.
Not trying to dump on the pistol or company. That was what was written many years ago . The sources for that info have dryed up. So new reviews and try outs that are more positive should or could be taken at face value.
Para Ord does make a fine product in many of their offerings. There are many happy owners and satisfied users. So like Taurus products, Para Ord guns should be considered when researching firearms for personal use. Their prices are high compared to some brands. It all depends on what the person is willing or capable of paying for.

·
Registered
356 Posts
A reasonable and reasoned response, Quicks draw.

I've got two Para Ords - a Covert Carry (3") LDA and a Night Hawg (Wart Hawg with night sights) in .45ACP - both have proven quite reliable, but others have had different experiences. Two caveats: I shoot compacts and sub-compacts almost exclusively and am used to large calibers in small formats, and I shoot only quality manufactured ammo. People who are not used to short grips/short slides/low mass guns could have problems with the small Wart Hawg.

As to the possibility of 'left over' stock - both of mine were purchased in run-of-the-mill gun shops and were manufactured within the last year or so. I suspect that any fundamental problems have been engineered out of the current crop.

·
32,788 Posts
I am glad to hear that Kansas-plainsman. Since I had what had been previously written and no experience I am happy that an actual owner showed up and gave us an excellent report. Para like other companies is wiliing to work out problems when needed and took the steps to correct things. It can happen any time to any make or model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts