Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal, im in love with everything I know about the pt1911, i want one! nothing willl sway me to look at anything else as the cost and amenities that this affords beats everything else ive found in my "research". please, do not attempt to change my mind... you would be waisting keystrokes.

my dilema - i live in california.

my plan "B"
I have family in nevada. Should one family member purchase this in nevada and visit me in CA.....Is it possible (read: legal) to do a private party transfer via a CA FFL dealer in person? does anyone have any exp. in this?

please advise! I look forward to any comments and my future Tauri fam... (hopefully)

-K

·
Registered
846 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but why isn't a Taurus 1911 legal in California? I don't have one so i really don't know that much about them, other than i was looking at one at the dealers the other day and was quite impressed with it. Beautiful gun, felt great in the hand...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well i was going to come in and say the same thing WTH cant you buy a PT1911 in Cal, so i went and looked it up
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127 hopefully that takes you to the site. It is not on California's certified "Sale" list.

The first thing you should do is get ahold of the FFL you are going to use. He will have the know of what you can do.
Heck you probly dont even have to go through with the family. You should be able to buy it online and have it shipped to the FFL. Gunstores cannot sell the PT1911 because it seems Taurus did not send 4 of them to california and pay a fee to get it approved for sale in cal. But if you buy it online and have it sent to your FFL you should be just fine as it is not a sale made in california.
And as it is not a banned item from Cal I.E. a assault rifle or a gun that takes over 10rds in the mag you should be fine :thumb:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
There is another answer to this problem, move out of Cali! Then you can get most of the fun toys that you probably want!

But since I suspect that isn't a valid answer for you I'd suggest talking to some reputable local gun shops and see if the above mentioned idea is legal. And/Or find a Cali specific gun forum to ask at. The people there should know if its possible.

Steelheart

·
Registered
846 Posts
ROFL, steelheart, not trying to be funny, I don't know answer, but do agree with that post. :wave: from Texas.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's not CA legal because there is no loaded chamber indicator. My wifes 1911sc is 8rd and is legal in CA because of the loaded indicator.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome airborne, what version of the PT 1911 are you planning to get? Oh and good luck with all the red tape and hope you do get one soon, you'll love it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BillyBeamon said:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

The first thing you should do is get ahold of the FFL you are going to use. He will have the know of what you can do.
Heck you probly dont even have to go through with the family. You should be able to buy it online and have it shipped to the FFL. Gunstores cannot sell the PT1911 because it seems Taurus did not send 4 of them to california and pay a fee to get it approved for sale in cal. But if you buy it online and have it sent to your FFL you should be just fine as it is not a sale made in california.
And as it is not a banned item from Cal I.E. a assault rifle or a gun that takes over 10rds in the mag you should be fine :thumb:
Link was very helpful, ty! Sooo it seems that as long as I am not being "sold" from "their stock" that it can happen. Ill be heading to the range this weekend to talk my FFL guys. only concern is the transfer process from an online source, whereas (according to the link above) PPT at the FFL can happen with ease – perhaps still less convenient than an online transfer/purchase though.

Ill let everyone know what my local FFL has to say.

ByrdC130 said:
what version of the PT 1911 are you planning to get?
still not sure, leaning towards steel, but anyone with experience with the aluminum? any reason one would be better than the other? I see steel being heavier (by a mear 5oz) but its steel.... when i think of aluminum, i think of a soft metal.

your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
airborne said:
still not sure, leaning towards steel, but anyone with experience with the aluminum? any reason one would be better than the other? I see steel being heavier (by a mear 5oz) but its steel.... when i think of aluminum, i think of a soft metal.

your thoughts?
Both steel and aluminum have proven to be sturdy platforms. I personally would stick to steel.

·
Registered
356 Posts
welcome from southern Oregon

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Welcome from Tn. Sorry for your problem, that one reason its nice to live in Tn.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Welcome from a Cali escapee. Moved out 14 years ago to Utah and never looked back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so i went to the range this weekend, stopping by the glass cases full of goodies to chat it up to see what i could find. besides the fact that i now think that they are all springfield reps - they pretty much said what this posts leads to: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=34041 - cant happen unless you find someone within ca to do a private party transfer. the "springfield reps" even shot me down when i suggested the family tranfer via another state... its still goes thru the "system" as a no-go in ca... DAMMIT :mad:

how's that saying go, something about wanting something more that you cant have? :'(

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
airborne said:
how's that saying go, something about wanting something more that you cant have? :'(
Well, you could do like I did and a whole lot of my neighbors did, you could say I'm tired of the BS and move out of CA. ;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
VegasGuy said:
Well, you could do like I did and a whole lot of my neighbors did, you could say I'm tired of the BS and move out of CA. ;)
True so very true.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts