Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, new, first post.

Retired U.S. Navy. Live in Charlotte. Aged to 55... Fairly new to guns, had a Browning .380 and a .22 years ago. Buying a gun for target and home defense. My list of possibles has three Taurus's on it. First a 909, second a SS 92, and third a blued 92 all in 17RD. Also on the list are Beretta 92FS, A1 and PX4, Bersa Thunder pro 9 HC, and a CZ 75B. Went to gun shop "A" and they where all over a S&W M&P9 so I took my wife to the range and rented one. It was OK. I guess for something to sit in a box at home it's good. So is the PX4 though.

But I want a all metal gun... So, my list... any opinions? The reason the PT909 is first is I like the 9mm Taurus guns and I can get a great deal on a new 909, I think. I'm waiting for an answer whether he still has it. If not a stainless 92 is probably choice #2. I assume this being a Taurus forum the Taurus' are good weapons?

I have questions on ammo. What is a good value/ reliable ammo for the range and then what is good for defense? Brand, name, weight, load, etc?

Extra question should the 909 come with two magazines?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with the PT92. It is a great gun. I have shot at least 3,000 rounds of Federal 115 grain through mine with out a problem. I buy ammo at Wal-Mart, $19.97 + tax for a 100 round box. For defense I use 115 grain Hornady Critical Defense. They are around $18-$21 for a 25 round box at Academy.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I'd opt for the PT92 or The PT99 (Same gun but with adjustable sights). It's a real solid performer with good balance, good accuracy, and very few problems. The 909 is a nice pistol also but Taurus has discontinued the 900 series so find them is getting harder and harder. My PT99 runs everything I put through it. It's not ammo picky as some pistols can be. So as to what ammo to buy? I usually buy what ever is on sale for my 9mm range guns. The only thing I stay away from are the steel cased Russian stuff. Steel cases are hard on extractors and the cheap Russian ammo tends to run really dirty. I've bought a lot of 9mm ammo from Atlanta Arms, and Georgia Arms, and Collins. All of it reloads in bulk quantities and all of it has run just fine. I run both the 115 gr and the 124 gr bullets in mine. The heavier bullet has a slightly higher point of impact. But my gun has adjustable sights so it only takes a second to dial in the sights when I switch from one to the other.

Welcome to the forum from Jacksonville, FL!

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
What kind of a price are you looking at for the PT909? I know where the PT911 in stainless is selling for $359, which is a pretty darn good price. The 909 and the 911 are pretty much the same pistol,the difference is in the grip/handle. The 909 is a curved backstrap where as the 911 is a straight/angled backstrap.. I would go for the 909 or the 911 first since these are discontinued models and getting more rare to find, Whereas the PT-92 has been around for ever and is going no where.

The PX4 is a decent enough pistol, but it is plastic and I prefer metal. That being said I do own a PX4 in the .40 sub-compact.

I'll stop here and let someone else chime in.

By the way, Welcome to the forum!!! And Thank You for your years of serving out country!!!!!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
The PT92 should be your number 1 choice. I call mine my "special favorite" it's just that good a gun. I have shoot nearly 2500 rounds out of mine, and am never going to give it up.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
DANG! While I was trying to make my fat fingers work, every body else woke up, and beat me to it!! :D

First off, Welcome aboard, and Greetings from DFW, TX. Thank You for your service, and Congrats for sticking with it, and surviving. :D

There ain't nuttin better'n a noob asking for opinions, so just sit back, relax, and prepare to be entertained. :D

I'll take the 'easy' one first... You will probably be happy with any of the choices on your list, but I'll vote for the PT92. Not just because this is a Taurus forum, but because the 92 has proven to be an excellent firearm, at a reasonable price, and you'll have the Lifetime Warranty as 'back up'. I'm confident that the same can be said for the 909, but I have no experience there, and I am speaking as a 92 owner.

After you decide on the gun, you'll have to try various ammo to ensure that your gun likes it. Sometimes they can be finicky, but you'll probably have success with any quality name brand. If you are buying local/retail you'll probably be OK with Winchester white box (WWB) or UMC 250 bulk packs at WalMart, 115 grain Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) for the range. For defensive use, usually a 124 or 147 grain Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP), but this requires more testing as the 'nose' profile can cause feed issues, especially with a new gun. Once again, local WalMart should have Federal Hydro Shocks, and you should be fine. If you are getting a brand new gun (DEEP CLEAN IT FIRST), it will take a few hundred rounds of FMJ to 'break in', BEFORE you try the JHPs, as cost can be prohibitive (about .30/FMJ vs $1/JHP). Hope this helps get things started. The best gun/ammo combination is the one that goes 'BANG' every time for you. Good Luck, and Happy Shooting!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Welcome from Central Texas, Evan!
I'm partial to the 92 and haven't had a problem with any choice of ammo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome all. So far the comments are what I expected. I was considering the Federal 115 from Wally World and the Hornady CD. The price for the 909 is $300 and local so tax but no shipping or fees. As I said the 92 in stainless is second choice or if the 909 I'm interested turns out to be a myth.

Jon were is the 911 in stainless at that price?

BigSkiff, I know where G.C.S is and though close to JAX I wouldn't admit to it... ;)

I'm an Air Force brat and grew up all over the place but when my dad retired from the USAF Merritt Island became home until I went in the USN, exciting place to grow up in the 60's and early 70'S with the rocket program.

Thanks for the comments all.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Welcome, EvanD.

I lucked into Taurus and now I have five or six. Still, I'd pine for a pt92 or 99. My carry is a pt111 or 24/7 C.
I get ammo from Walmart and Academy. No Russian.

The Navy was very exciting during WWII and Korea.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome from The Alamo!

My favorite Taurus is the PT92, if you want adjustable sights, the PT99.

I have put 2 or 3 rounds through these guns over the years. ;)

2 or 3 bazillion, that is. :D

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Of the guns you mentioned I would go for the PT92 or PT99. As Bigskiff said, these will eat any ammo I have ever used and I have never had a problem feeding or ejecting. It is also one of the smoothest shooting guns I have ever shot. That is why my PT99 is my all time favorite gun due to its solid construction, ease of use, ease of cleaning and all around fun to shoot. It is also a great gun to learn or teach others to shoot with.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
welcome from North Texas, and thanks fir your service. I also like my PT 92 for a range gun. It is a little big for cc.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina! I have the PT92 and PT99, both great weapons. I love the 99 because of the adjustable sights and I get my PT809 tomorrow. Get one!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thank you for your military service to our great nation!

I'll jump in and toot the PT92's horn!

They are high capacity (17 plus 1), very well built, and amazingly accurate, and mine has been 110% reliable. The decocker and manual safety are nice touches, as is the lifetime warranty on the pistol from Taurus.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Welcome from west Texas. My PT99 was made/purchased in 1987. All steel. Shoots anything I put through it. I also avoid the Russian steel case ammo. It shoots as good today as it did when I bought it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the 909 turned out to be a myth. So the SS 92 went to the top of my list. We had a gun show here in Charlotte last weekend and my wife and I went to look and compare. I ended up with a nice new 92 in stainless for $401. Also got my wife a cute little Bersa.

Went to the range Tuesday and I am amazed at the accuracy. We used the rifle lanes and 2/3 of the way down I was still shooting a 5" group two handed leaning my shoulder on the wall... awesome, thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'll have to be the voice of dissent here, since you mentioned one of my favorites - tough to beat a CZ75B. They've got super ergonomics, are extremely reliable, and you can drive tacks with 'em. They use a wrap around frame, and it makes a significant contribution to accuracy - which is probably why the venerable Sig P210 used the same type of rails. Fit and finish are excellent. I've got nothing against the Taurus 9X's other than they're kind of big. My advice is to get your hands on as many of your 'options' as possible, and see which one feels the best. Which is my sneaky way of pushing you towards the CZ. :D Mine is one of the only pistols I've ever owned on which I didn't change grip panels. I saw no reason to mess with perfection.

And let's not forget, Jeff Cooper called the CZ75 "The World's best 9mm Service Pistol."

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :cool:

Here's one more vote for the street proven PT92 series.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts