Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we all have our own ways of doing this I use to use a webbed fruit bag that would keep the brass in but let the pins fall through My grandaughter was over and thought it was trash and threw it away. So I got to thinking how could I do it so here's what I done, I took two one gallon ice cream buckets one bucket I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom. I used a drill bit that is just shy of a 9mm shell because that is the smallest round I clean, all under water I put the bucket with the holes in it in the other bucket pour the brass in the bucket and put your hand in there and agitate the brass and the pins fall through the holes into the good bucket so far I've had good results

·
Registered
273 Posts
Neat idea!

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Super Moderator
35,544 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
First, I rinse the tumbler tub until the water is clear, pour my cases into my RCBS rotary media separator, fill the tub of the media separator with water, and spin the media separator back-and-forth for about 30 seconds and, so far, all pins have come out. Have not tried bottleneck cases.

·
Super Moderator
35,544 Posts
First, I rinse the tumbler tub until the water is clear, pour my cases into my RCBS rotary media separator, fill the tub of the media separator with water, and spin the media separator back-and-forth for about 30 seconds and, so far, all pins have come out. Have not tried bottleneck cases.
I like this...get rid of the suds while the cases and pins are still in the drum. Probably save me a step and time. Not sure if I thought that the pins might release from a soapy solution better, but it's has to be the agitation of the water on the clean brass that flushes them out. I have done 223 cases as well as 30-30 and 45-70.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
I know we all have our own ways of doing this I use to use a webbed fruit bag that would keep the brass in but let the pins fall through My grandaughter was over and thought it was trash and threw it away. So I got to thinking how could I do it so here's what I done, I took two one gallon ice cream buckets one bucket I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom. I used a drill bit that is just shy of a 9mm shell because that is the smallest round I clean, all under water I put the bucket with the holes in it in the other bucket pour the brass in the bucket and put your hand in there and agitate the brass and the pins fall through the holes into the good bucket so far I've had good results
Currently, I have not developed a way of separating pins. Thanks for the idea! :D However, I do rifle rounds and they're a bit of a pain. Wondering if I could get all the pins out of a rifle round this way. I've also thought of trying a magnet.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I use a pasta strainer and large bucket. You know being Italian and all.:)
I do the same thing I went to Dollar Tree and got a round bucket and a colander for a grand total of $2.17, I just pour the brass in and twist the whole thing from side to side and the pins fall into the bucket I then use My Harbor Freight magnetic retrieval tool to get the pins out of the water.
I also use this setup with My dry tumbling media.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I do the same thing I went to Dollar Tree and got a round bucket and a colander for a grand total of $2.17, I just pour the brass in and twist the whole thing from side to side and the pins fall into the bucket I then use My Harbor Freight magnetic retrieval tool to get the pins out of the water.
Try a smaller wire strainer and dump pins and dirty water from bucket into small strainer. No magnet required.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
A couple years ago I decided that I was farting around too much with separating chips and brass. I bit the bullet and bought an RCBS separator. It's worth every penny. About 8 months ago I got tired of getting the pins out of the separator so I found a magnetic cleanup tool and that thing saves me skads of time. Both of those items were more money than I wanted to spend, but they were money well spent because of the aggrevation they save me, plus I built my tumbler out of an old treadmill for about $15, so the money saved on mytumbler got spent on those other two things.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Yeah I use a a colander as well. Only difference is I shake over a very large plastic bowl I picked up somewhere for a dollar. Afterwards I just pour the water off and them just dump them into a container using a wide mouth canning funnel. No media retrieval for me.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I stopped using the pins i wet tumble without them tumble rinse and dry

·
Super Moderator
35,544 Posts
I stopped using the pins i wet tumble without them tumble rinse and dry

So how well does it do? Same time spent tumbling? Do the primer pockets and inside of the case get as clean?

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
So how well does it do? Same time spent tumbling? Do the primer pockets and inside of the case get as clean?
not quite as clean but I find it good enough for me the outside is as good as with the pins

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
could not get a good picture of the inside of the brass but here is one of the primer pockets with wet tumble no pins

Attachments

Reactions: Czechbikr
1 - 15 of 15 Posts