Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a gun show this weekend looking for a 1911. Saved up for the last few months. Had about $600 and figured I could get away with a used Taurus or Para. How did I end up with a Walther PK380? My wife, not a shooter, but was with me this weekend and as been curious about and thinking about getting her own handgun. I made her a deal that if she found something before I did, I would be willing to get it for her if she would spend more time with me and our son at the range. Deal. I didn't expect she would find somehting. I was wrong. Not a decent deal on a 1911 for me and wouldn't you know it. Someone handed her a Walther PK 380 and she loved it. I wouldn't get the first one she held made her look around and try others. Tried a Bersa Thunder .380, Sig .380, Taurus TCP, Taurus 709, Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9, etc.. Slept on it Saturday and went back and bought one Sunday. I'll get some pictures and post them. I'm impressed, we shot 200 rounds yesterday afternoon with ZERO malfunctions. It has the easiest operating slide she could find. I think that is what sealed the deal. She's always hated the slides on my other pistols. I've never had a Walther before. She picked it up and emptied the first mag into a bottle at 25 ft. Didn't miss at all. I was proud of the little lady. I helped her clean it up last night and now she's asked about getting her CCW. Anyway, I mainly wanted to report about the Walther. I was really impressed with its feel and virtually no recoil. It was like shooting a .22 mag rather than a .380. Anyone else out there own one of these?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've never owned one nor shot one, but I have heard many good reports about the Walther PK380.

Congratulations on your wife's first handgun!

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I don't have one, but I really considered one for my wife. The locked breach action on a .380 is the biggest reason making for an easy moving slide like you mentioned, DKSlim.

·
Administrator
18,053 Posts
Congratulations to you and your Wife on acquiring the Walther PK380. I'm a little bit curious about this one myself and the P99.

I currently have four Walthers, a 1985 IA PPK/S, and three P38's (one WWII, and two post-war). Walthers are generally very well made, reliable, and accurate.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, the bad news is the PK380 is made by Umarex and not Walther. I bought one used for $240 and it shot very well. I was stupid and sold it. Some people on Walther forums have had complaints with them (and the PPKs) but hopefully yours works well. I had more issues with my PPK/S than my PK. Oh, don't lose that key that hopefully came with it...you need it for taking it apart for cleaning!

Feel free to stop by Walther Forums if you have questions.

JWC, the P99 is VERY hard to find now as the PPQ has taken off. All I can say is the only thing I miss about my P99 vs. the PPQ is not having an anti-stress or "carry mode" decocking function. Other than that, they're both great.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on getting your wife a new firearm.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I had one, but traded it to my father for a glock-19. It was a no brainer, but the PK/380 is a nice gun. I bought it for my wife to tinker with. The Walther was a great gun for her because the slide is by far the easiest slide to operate. The only thing I don't miss was the take down, if you don't watch that spring will go into orbit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts