Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 85 last week at a gun show. I think I did pretty good $195 out the door. I previously had a 85 ultralite but sold it off. I also had a Rossi 720 44 special that I regretfully sold as well.
Back on subject, I tried to get a date from Taurus website but it doesn't give me any info on this serial number. I figured it is probably from the 80's. Any idea on aproximate date? I noticed the shorter ejector rod when I shot it. I imagine someone bobbed the hammer on it as it is very polished. It actually has a good DA trigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Congrats on a good deal, looks like it was well cared for. :D

I'd say your "guestamate" of it being a 1980's produced model is about right.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net, the friendliest handgun forum around!

Whether you’ve joined us to learn more about your particular Taurus handgun, or you just enjoy sitting down with a group of friendly, like-minded individuals and talking about anything to do with handguns, you have certainly come to the right place.

Congratulations on a very nice find!

Reactions: Armd2DaTeeth

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome aboard. I'd say your guess as to when it was made is pretty spot on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just got this 85 last week at a gun show. I think I did pretty good $195 out the door. I previously had a 85 ultralite but sold it off. I also had a Rossi 720 44 special that I regretfully sold as well.
Back on subject, I tried to get a date from Taurus website but it doesn't give me any info on this serial number. I figured it is probably from the 80's. Any idea on aproximate date? I noticed the shorter ejector rod when I shot it. I imagine someone bobbed the hammer on it as it is very polished. It actually has a good DA trigger.
I have a stainless model 85 that dates to 1991. It has a bobbed hammer as well, but it turns out to be factory and it's double action only. With the gun unloaded, of course, pull the trigger enough to get a finger on the hammer and see if you can actually cock it. If so, it's probably been bobbed by a previous owner, if it won't cock and turns out to be DAO, it may have been manufactured that way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome from NC! That is a nice looking 85. I think your pictures pushed me over the edge to buy some oversize wood grips for my 605CH. I've been curious about how they would look with the bobbed hammer. Obviously it looks awesome. Nice find!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Nice find there.

You've come to the right place.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can pull the trigger far enough and cock the hammer to single action. The hammer is also more rounded than the factory bobbed hammers I have seen. I usually keep away from hammerless guns but this one seemed right. I was very surprised by the trigger maybe there was work done to it as well. I think the DA trigger is better than my S&W model 10 (another decent deal $190 out the door with holster- it is not as pretty as this but shoots great).
I think I like this one better than the ultralite 85 I previously owned. Thanks for all of the positive comments.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nice revolver, I have one that looks about the same except mine does not have a bobbed hammer. Mine is 1990 circa.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Welcome to a very gun friendly place!

Excellent revolver, very good deal! Your's looks exactly like mine! Mine was manufactured in '88. I just ran it through the website and I'm surprised it came up. I was originally told it was '89. Does your serial number begin with H? Mine starts with HA######. Not sure if that matters.
I bobbed the hammer on mine to keep it from snagging when pulling it from my pocket holster. When the gunsmith bobbed it, I asked him if there was anything he could do to improve the trigger. He tested it and told me he has people pay him to make their trigger as smooth as mine. One thing I had to do was take the sideplate off and clean all the old grease out of the works and give it a light oil.
This is the pistol I used to qualify for my carry license.
Search around in the forum. You will find a plethora of information on your revolver. You'll find mine on page 3 of the revolver photo thread.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Is it a pre-lock? If so probably an 89. That looks exactly like one I sold at a gun show, Ha! Did you get it in Georgia? Those things are great! Hold on to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got it in PA. I ran 100 rounds through it. I had some old ammo problems, seemed like light hammer strikes on Remington UMC's. I switched to my reloads and every one went bang and hit where I aimed it. I don,t have the gun handy as far as serial # but it did not show up on Taurus serial # search.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My model 85ch hammer looks completely different.....it is smooth and fits flush into the rear of the gun until you pull the trigger....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts