Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the gun show this weekend and picked up this nice looking NIB two-tone Taurus Judge for the wife. She loves the looks of it. I have never owned a revolver so I had no idea what to look for, other than to make sure the finish was okay before buying it.

Now that I have had it for a couple of days, I have noticed that when I pull the hammer back in single action mode one of the chambers of the cylinder locks up without any play in the rotation of the cylinder. My guess is that is as it should be. However, all the other chambers of the cylinder have some degree of play, with one of them allowing up to 1/32" rotation back and forth. This is with just light fingertip pressure. I'm not forcing it.

Also, when I take a bright flashlight and look down the bore of the barrel, two of the cylinders appear to have a very slight misalignment, almost the thickness of a fingernail. I can see the face of the cylinder which would seem to indicate cylinder is out of align with the bore.

Can some of you with more revolver experience tell me what degree of play is acceptable and if it is a bad thing to be able to see the face of the cylinder when looking down the bore? I am taking this all in stride and view it as a learning experience.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
orlandodriver said:
Thats a beautiful piece there vegas. :thumb:
Thanks, Orlando. :) I went to the show looking for the 3" mag version which no one had. I liked the looks of this one so much I thought it would make the perfect gun for the wife. She is glad I did not get her the 3" version because she feels this one is already borderline heavy.

One more question for the other Judge owners: Do I need to stick with smooth sided shotshells like Winchester? I have read that the ribbed style of shotshell like Federal and Remington have a tendency to get stuck in the cylinder. What brands seem to work well in your Judge?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
First off....that's a beautiful Judge. Wanna trade for my matte stainless one? ;)

As far as 410 shells---stick with smooth hulls such as the Winchester. Those are the only rounds I use in my Judge. (And you can find 000 buckshot in 2 1/2 inch length fairly easily)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NYPD said:
First off....that's a beautiful Judge. Wanna trade for my matte stainless one? ;)
I asked the wife, and in a word the answer was, no. Her real answer was she wanted to make a profit on the deal. I guess she really likes her two-tone Judge. ;)

Also, I found this website dealing with checking out a revolver:

http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/library/Revolver-check.html

The answer to my questions were taken care of in these sections:

Cylinder play
1) With the gun UNLOADED (check for yourself!), close the action.

2) Thumb the hammer back, and while pulling the trigger, gently lower the hammer all the way down while keeping the trigger back - and KEEP holding the trigger once the hammer is down. (You've now put the gun in "full lockup" - keep it there for this and most other tests.)

3) With the trigger still back all the way, check for cylinder wiggle. Front/back is particularly undesirable; a bit of side to side is OK but it's a bad thing if you can wiggle it one way, let go, and then spin it the other way a fraction of an inch and it stays there too. At the very least, it should "want" to stop in just one place (later, we'll see if that place is any good). The ultimate is a "welded to the frame" feeling.

Timing
5) You really, REALLY want an unloaded gun for this one. This is where the light comes in. With the gun STILL held in full lockup, trigger back after lowering the hammer by thumb, you want to shine a light right into the area at the rear of the cylinder near the firing pin. You then look down the barrel . You're looking to make sure the cylinder bore lines up with the barrel. Check every cylinder - that means putting the gun in full lockup for each cylinder before lighting it up.

You're looking for the cylinder and barrel holes to line up perfectly, it's easy to eyeball if there's even a faint light source at the very rear of both bores. And with no rounds present, it's generally easy to get some light in past where the rims would be.

Now that I know how to properly check the cylinder play and timing (I wasn't pulling the trigger back and holding the hammer after the trigger had been released), the wife's new Judge passes with flying colors. As it turns out, I was doing it wrong and learned something new today. :thumb:

·
Registered
959 Posts
VegasGuy,... Nice Gun... Your Wife has Good Taste in Guns...!!!...<:))
Nice you found that info, because I was about to go over that same routine with you...<:))

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SgtKnuckles said:
VegasGuy,... Nice Gun... Your Wife has Good Taste in Guns...!!!...<:))
And I have good taste in wives. ;)

SgtKnuckles said:
Nice you found that info, because I was about to go over that same routine with you...<:))
I appreciate the thought. My first inclination was that it was my lack of knowledge about revolvers instead of a problem with The Judge. I just needed someone to tell me where I was going wrong.

·
Registered
959 Posts
VegasGuy,...
~Get a .50 cal. Brush for the Chambers... YUP...
~Blued Guns~Gunners have been complaining that all them Fancy Acidic Bore Cleaners, have been slowly cleaning the Bluing off their Guns... I never use the Stuff... Regular Brushing gets the Job done on the Chambers, and Barrel...
~A Gunner's Motto when cleaning his Gun, is "DO NO HARM"... YUP...~

Better Pick up some Jacketed... (helps clean the Lead out after shooting them CowBoy RDs.
CCI Blazer Centerfire Pistol .45 Colt 200 Gr. JHP 50 rds
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=92039&kwtid=211693
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=75104

~A INFO Point~
~The cylinder throat on a revolver plays an important part in revolver accuracy~
~Brownells' Cylinder Throat Reamer for .45 Colt Revolvers~
http://www.gunblast.com/Brownells_Reamer.htm

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's some pretty good info, SgtKnuckles. Thank you. I already have the .50 caliber brush and some Winchester 250 gr Cowboy loads and some 225 gr Silvertips. Looks like I'll need to add some CCI to my stockpile to finish a day of practicing off with a bit of self-cleaning.

The Brownells' Cylinder Throat Reamer looks like an easy to use tool for the do-it-yourself type of person with a cylinder throat problem. From what I can tell now that I know the proper technique for checking cylinder play and timing, everything lines up perfect and the cylinder gives me that "welded to the frame" feeling.

I am hoping to go out this weekend and do a little target practice with the wife and see how she and the Judge does.

Thanks to everyone for the nice words about my newest purchase. I thought it was a pretty sweet looking gun. It was the first time I had seen the two-tone. I didn't even know Taurus made one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts