Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well just before the remenants of Laura blew thru I mention I had a Bradford pear tree partially fall from splitting and we had to cut some down. Well rain finally cleared on a day I had off so I started removing limbs from the yard finally. Which means daddy got a new to play with!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
I do believe that will be my next chainsaw. As many before me and many after me I have owned a number of the less expensive brands. All of which I will add lead oil from the chain oiler reserve tank leaving one hell of a mess in the carrying case. The last chain saw that I purchased was a Remington. And honestly it has been a pretty decent tool. But still a Stihl is in my future.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do believe that will be my next chainsaw. As many before me and many after me I have owned a number of the less expensive brands. All of which I will add lead oil from the chain oiler reserve tank leaving one hell of a mess in the carrying case. The last chain saw that I purchased was a Remington. And honestly it has been a pretty decent tool. But still a Stihl is in my future.
I was looking at the craftsman version at Lowe’s. But for 30 dollars more I opted for “name brand” lol

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
I was looking at the craftsman version at Lowe’s. But for 30 dollars more I opted for “name brand” lol

Any more I try to stay as far away from the Craftsman label as possible. I was raised a "Sears Kid", as Dad worked there his entire career retiring after almost 30 years. Sears was the first real job held by my sister, brother, and yes me. We were proud to work there, heck it was becoming a family tradition.

Dad retired early because he could see the direction that the company was taking was not good. And since them it keep traveling in a free fall selling off profitable portions and trademark names to keep a rusted sinking ship afloat. Who would have ever thought that we would see the day when a bankrupt Kmart would purchase Sears? Now Sears is much like helium filled balloon with a hole in it...loosing altitude as it falls but just before touching the tips of grass on the ground and bursting, it catches an small up draft current of wind and manages to float a bit longer.

Today the only difference between a Harbor Freight tool and a Craftsman tool is the name stamped on the side and the misnomer of a quality tool with a strong history and reputation.

You made the right decision going with the Stihl.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I try and NOT shop @ Harbor Freight. Sometimes I'll bite the bullet only when other places don't have what I need. But I'll say this, my trips to HF have greatly diminished over the past 2 years. I think of HF as the Disneyland of the Chinese communist party!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree, Stihl is the best chainsaw on the market and I would rate Husqvarna, number 2. All the others are worthless, I learned the hard way after a forest fire burned 30 acres of our timber and I did the cleanup around our house and barn, which thankfully, were saved.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
14,609 Posts
For gas powered chainsaws, I've gone exclusively with Stihl. The only one I had that was a bigger workhorse was an old 40's Lombard with a 48" bar. That thing was an unwieldy beast that could cut through the hardest of wood without flinching.
Since I'm not in an area that requires a gas saw, I'm using a worx corded electric with a 16" bar. The last big bradford pear tree that we had to finish taking down was cut up with that one and I was able to slab the trunk for lumber. One of my old Stihls would have done it with 1/2 the effort.

·
8,350 Posts
Wife convinced me to get the 570 instead, wish I had gone with the 170. 570 is great for a weight lifter. And it doe scut and cut. But I am gonna downgrade to the 170 soon.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wife convinced me to get the 570 instead, wish I had gone with the 170. 570 is great for a weight lifter. And it doe scut and cut. But I am gonna downgrade to the 170 soon.
My wife had no say. I showed up at home while me and kids were out while she had a telehealth doctors appointment ! I did get a stern talking to though.

Told her to shush or I would teach her how to use it and make her cut up the tree. Then realized she could cut my arm or leg off with it if I did so I just did it instead!!

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
I used to buy Craftsman years ago but now every body sell Craftsman. At least it has the name but not the quality it once stood for.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I worked at a stihl/husqvarna/homelite dealer when I was young. Sold 2 homelites for every husqvarna and 10 stihl for every homelite.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've had my Husqvarna 350c for 8 or 10 years now. Its been bullet proof. My buddy bought it for his tree service. The Husqvarna dealer made him a deal as he is a tree service wants him to use them over stihl. The Husqvarna 350c was made for commercial use. He had it a week and one of his knot heads sat it down in the wrong place and it got run over by the Bobcat. Broke the trigger housing / handle. He sold it to me cheap as he didn't want to wait on the parts to come in to fix it. He also sold it to me because all his other saws are stihl and stihls went on sale that week.
Replacing the handle was easy enough when the parts came in. This was before amazon prime was an everyday thing.
Be careful buying stihl or Husqvarna today as they make. Lesser duty saws for home use. I wouldn't call them cheap but not heavy-duty commercial models of years past.
Buyer beware as nothing is like the old days of quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts