Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am a newbie the 454. I'm starting light.I'm starting with a 250Gr.JSP and 34.0 gr. of H110.Has Anyone tried this load or, have any recommendations on their favorite load?
I acquired 8LBS. of H110. So, I guess that will be my powder of choice for all my loads.

·
Super Moderator
35,135 Posts
H110 should be a good powder. Might also think about W296, a good magnum slow burn and rather clean powder that meters well. That said, I load hot .45 Colt with good ol' 2400. It works well for that. I don't load .454 specifically, but it's basically just the hot +P .45 colt taken to ridiculous levels, LOL!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used 2400 quite a bit. and like it. I'm just kind of committed to this 8 lbs. of H110.I feel I have to use it.Can't wait to try out this caliber. I have my reloads and some factory rounds to compare.

·
Super Moderator
35,135 Posts
Do you have a chronograph? I find the chronograph one of the best reloading tools I have, let's me know what I'm doing with the loads. If so, have you chronographed the factory stuff? Just curious.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don't have a chronograph.I have been debating about getting one.Might be a good time to do so.

·
Super Moderator
35,135 Posts
The shooting chrony is all you need and they're quite affordable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2400 is the way to go, W296 and H110 are real abusive, I can tell you, you can get the same FPS without the abusive sharp recoil, trust me on this. Les

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
violator22,
Thanks for the tip. I know you are correct.
Unfortunately, I have 8lbs. of H110 that I need to use and abuse myself with!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been loading and shooting the 454 with a 250gr.fmj bullet from Montana Gold.Using 33-34 grs of H110 powder.For 45 Colt- same bullet with 23 grs of H110.This is a pretty hot 45LC round for use in guns made to take the pressure.
The Casull loads are pretty stiff.But, manageable.The 45 LC are a lot more pleasant to shoot. I'm using a 61/2" barrel Taurus Raging Bull.This gun handles the Casull rounds with ease.The grip design, porting /compensator, really help to manage the recoil.
Forgot where I was heading with all this Valuable info..........????????

They say: "The memory is the second thing to go"...can't remember the first?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts