Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought a 3" chamber 3" barrel judge made in 04 last saturday. got her for $300 and shes in good shape. I have a few questions about her though.

1. there is a drag ring all the way around the cylinder, i hate drag rings, is there a way to change the timing on the cylinder stop so it engages the notch instead of dragging the cylinder?

2. I was looking at grips for her, does anyone have any experience with the ATI Scorpion grips? I like the look of them better but if it compromises the recoil absorption of the factory grips i don't want them.

3. is there any ammo i should not fire in my judge whether it be .410 or .45colt? i've been looking at the honady leverevolution .45colt ammo but i don't know if it's too hot for the judge as i have read some pretty bad stories about catastrophic failures with the judge. currently its loaded up with the hornady critical defense .410 2 1/2".

4. What is the best 3" .410 ammo for the judge?

5. any pointers or info i might need to know about this pistol? i love the old girl and would love to keep her in my collection for the next several years and well into the future.

thanks!

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
If you're looking for a defense round in .410 3", Federal has it. Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammo 410 Bore 3 #4 Buckshot 9 Pellets It contains 9 pellets of #4 buckshot. The Hornady Critical Defense .410 2 1/2" round has two .35" lead balls topped with a 41 caliber lead bullet.
Don't believe all the rubbish that is being passed about on Taurus. It's just guys trying to justify the price they paid for their high dollar firearms.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1. No, it's a natural thing with revolvers.

2. I have no experience with that grip.

3. I can say that you should not shoot any full brass cased 410 ammo, and that Buffalo bore and +p .45Colt ammo should be avoided. I've also had the primers unseat from S&B 410 ammo, that bind the cyclinder.

4. Completely subjective.

5. Sight alignment is top of the front sight level with the top of the rear notch. The fiber dot should be ignored for proper sight alignment.

·
Registered
502 Posts
3. is there any ammo i should not fire in my judge whether it be .410 or .45colt?
Avoid anything that says "+P" or "Ruger Only" or "high pressure" or anything like that. The Judge is designed to handle 14,000-PSI standard .45 Colt loads. Some ammo makers load up ammo to so-called "+P" pressures that could be more than double that pressure, and that's just not a reasonable or safe thing to do with a Judge. Those loads are intended for the ultra strong Ruger Blackhawk or equivalents.

Use ammo that is specifically made for the Judge. While it's possible to fire any shotgun ammo through it, you'll get much better performance from ammo that is optimized for use in a 3" barrel handgun, vs. ammo that was originally designed for an 18"+ barrel shotgun.

The two standout performers, far and away and heads and shoulders and neck and chest above the rest, are Federal 000 buckshot (5 pellets) and NobelSport .40-cal buckshot (4 pellets).

As for .45 Colt loads, I recommend looking at the Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion. It's a round that was designed specifically to take advantage of the Judge's extra-long cylinder, and will only fit in a Judge (or Governor). The expansion is just incredible; they expand to 1.75" across.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
First off, $300 is a great deal on a 3x3. Congrats!

1. there is a drag ring all the way around the cylinder, i hate drag rings, is there a way to change the timing on the cylinder stop so it engages the notch instead of dragging the cylinder?

Not that I'm aware of, all revolvers I have seen do this. I'm prob going to polish mine up, so it won't really be a problem.

2. I was looking at grips for her, does anyone have any experience with the ATI Scorpion grips? I like the look of them better but if it compromises the recoil absorption of the factory grips i don't want them.

I have seen that also, but have not tried it. Grips for the Judge are few and far between.

3. is there any ammo i should not fire in my judge whether it be .410 or .45colt? i've been looking at the honady leverevolution .45colt ammo but i don't know if it's too hot for the judge as i have read some pretty bad stories about catastrophic failures with the judge. currently its loaded up with the hornady critical defense .410 2 1/2".

Avoid +P, .45acp (needs moon clips, and Judge does not have clearance room for it), and the regular Judge will NOT shoot the .454 casull. It shouldn't even chamber, but in case it does, DON'T. Standard pressure .45colt should be fine, and Buffalo Bore has a list of approved .45colt loads for the Judge specifically.

.410 3", I know the Federal 000 buck seems to run pretty smooth, and you get 5 9mm balls essentially at 775 fps. Winchester Super X gives you 5 balls as well, but at 1135 fps. But they are not copper coated like the Federal rounds.

.45colt ammo, I would prob go with the Lehigh Max Expansion, when I get the cash to waste a box on a ham or something:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/judge/131624-has-anyone-here-shot-lehigh-max-expansion.html

5. any pointers or info i might need to know about this pistol? i love the old girl and would love to keep her in my collection for the next several years and well into the future.

The 3" is more nose-heavy than the 2.5", but that seems to help the "shooting high" problem some have with revolvers especially. Good holsters can be a chore, but this one is offered by a sponsor here on TaurusArmed, and you can get a discount just by being a member of this forum! WOOT! And it looks cool as heck. It is not a long range pistol, and probably serves best as a trail gun (for varmints and critters), anti-car-jacker gun (for 2-legged varmints) and/or a bedside/nightstand pistol. Anything besides 000 buck and 45colt will only be good vs small animals, snakes and such. The size of the pistol, and the cool "ribber grip" really helps absorb a lot of the recoil, so it is fun for others to shoot it, who might otherwise be intimidated by its size and weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts