Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the forum, looking to purchase 24/7 G2 Compact .45 - need input.....

Howdy! I'm looking to purchase the 24/7 G2 compact .45 for CC use. I've seen reviews that cover the spectrum (most of them flamers who have never actually owned or fired these firearms), and I need input from people who shoot them regularly to let me know what I'm in for. I was able to look at one while visiting Cabela's recently, and it felt like it had been custom made for my hand; it is significantly lighter than the hi-point C9 that I currently CC with. I really like my C9 (I'm not trying to get THAT debate started here), but I would like to carry a sidearm that is lighter and, more importantly, gives me more rounds to use.

Any information you folks can provide - the good AND the bad, and especially about the DA/SA -- will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited: Sorry, that should have been .45, not .40.

·
Registered
67 Posts
well i got a g2c .45 and it works awesome, hit center bullseye all the time at the range for target practice since the pt945 that i already have is a slight bit bigger and i picked the g2c for cc use and the only thing i had to do to better the gun since its for cc is use glow on on the sights just incase im ever in a dark place:D. and the only place that i could find a iwb holster for cc was theisholsters.com and the holster is never noticable and its comfy. but thats pretty much all the info i have.. and i carry hornady +p tap fpd round for extra stopping power but i dont recommend that you use this ammo for range time as it can wear the guns life span down:eek:

:Dit ambi and im a lefty if you ask me couldnt get any better:D....:jiml:beats the crap out of the righty guns for me:cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
FORGOT THIS!!!

when i recieved the gun i had to take it to my lgs to get fixed its would fire some rounds then the firing pin woulnt fire but got that fixed and since then its been banging like a dream

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Howdy! I'm looking to purchase the 24/7 G2 compact .40 for CC use. I've seen reviews that cover the spectrum (most of them flamers who have never actually owned or fired these firearms), and I need input from people who shoot them regularly to let me know what I'm in for. I was able to look at one while visiting Cabela's recently, and it felt like it had been custom made for my hand; it is significantly lighter than the hi-point C9 that I currently CC with. I really like my C9 (I'm not trying to get THAT debate started here), but I would like to carry a sidearm that is lighter and, more importantly, gives me more rounds to use.

Any information you folks can provide - the good AND the bad, and especially about the DA/SA -- will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Welcome aboard, and Greetings from DFW, TX. You've made a good choice, and taurian pretty much nailed the follow up. I have the G2C-45, with Theis IWB. After-market accessories are not widely available, but this model looks to be around for a long time. First advice is to do a complete tear down, and thorough cleaning, especially the striker/pin channel and trigger assembly. Short of a tear down, spray the [email protected] out of it (LITERALLY), with Gun Scrubber. Use the little red straw to get in all the nooks and crannies to get all the shipping goo out. Let it marinade, then brush it, then spray it again. After that, do it again, then spend lots of quality time with snap caps, pulling the trigger as you read the owners' manual. It will take about 503 rounds to break-in, but then you'll have as fine a pistol as there is, IMHO. :D

Reactions: taurian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard, and Greetings from DFW, TX. You've made a good choice, and taurian pretty much nailed the follow up. I have the G2C-45, with Theis IWB. After-market accessories are not widely available, but this model looks to be around for a long time. First advice is to do a complete tear down, and thorough cleaning, especially the striker/pin channel and trigger assembly. Short of a tear down, spray the [email protected] out of it (LITERALLY), with Gun Scrubber. Use the little red straw to get in all the nooks and crannies to get all the shipping goo out. Let it marinade, then brush it, then spray it again. After that, do it again, then spend lots of quality time with snap caps, pulling the trigger as you read the owners' manual. It will take about 503 rounds to break-in, but then you'll have as fine a pistol as there is, IMHO. :D
OK -- 500+ rounds to break it in? Is it likely to have feed problems at the beginning?

·
Registered
66 Posts
There seem to be a lot of negative posts about the 24/7. I have a .40 24/7 Pro and love the gun. I have had no issues to spek of and am very pleased. Take the others advice and break it down to clean it. It takes a little time and patience, but the gun is incredible after!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
OK -- 500+ rounds to break it in? Is it likely to have feed problems at the beginning?
The cleaning is the first, most crucial step to avoiding 'feed problems' and many other issues, but any gun, by any manufacture can/will have a 'feed problem' at some point, but especially at the beginning. Firing rounds will help to smooth the action and the feed ramp, but there can be many things that can cause a 'feed problem'. Frankly, IMHO, for a purchase decision, a concern for 'feed problems' is like shopping for a new car based on how many get flat tires. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a particular brand of ammo the compact likes to eat? I usually use fmj for practice, but the heaviest hollowpoint I can find for a defensive round.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Is there a particular brand of ammo the compact likes to eat? I usually use fmj for practice, but the heaviest hollowpoint I can find for a defensive round.
I'm not real experienced with the .40 yet, as I just got my first .40 a couple weeks ago, and still haven't fired it. That said, it doesn't appear that there are as many options in .40 as there are in 9mm or .45, so I would offer the general advice to stay away from unknown reloads, and 'dirty' ammo like Tul, Wolf, Herter's, etc. This has been my general rule for everything else I shoot. For break in, I've never had a problem with any FMJs such as Winchester White Box (WWB), UMC bulk packs, etc., probably cheapest easiest to just grab at Wal Mart. You might have to 'experiment' a little more with the JHPs, but I generally stick with 'big name' brands like Hornady or Federal Hydro Shock, etc. I like to have a couple 'tested' brands to use, so I have options if something is unavailable, or on sale. Depending on your location, you might find a 'store brand' that works well, and saves a little $$, like Monarch at Academy Sports.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yes zylo-x has a few good points that i forgot clean clean clean clean it well before firing and snap caps do help imo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts