Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I just traded my S&W Sigma .40 for my new to me gently used pt1911 yesterday. I am happy with the deal I still have yet to shoot the 1911. I just need some ammo and a few minutes to get to the range. It will be this weekend before I can get it done. I am new to the Taurus line and new to 1911's so I will be reading here a lot and asking questions. Some of you may know me from other forums.

Those that know me know that I can't leave things the way they are. I like to improve things not make them unsafe or unreliable. I am going to leave my new 1911 alone (for now). I will get some rounds down range and get fimiliar with it before I go doing thing I shouldn't.

However, I would like to know if there are parts worth keeping on hand? Are there any parts that I should go ahead and replace now before it breaks? Are there some upgrades I should be looking at doing?

What I am going to do in the near future is replace the hammer I like the Wilson spec ops 9 hammer over the factory round nub. While I'm there I might as well change and match the sear. I'd also like to get a touch of the slop out of the trigger. I'm sure there are other things but I am still learning the parts and what they do in the 1911.

In the end I want a crisp breaking trigger in the 4-4.5# range and the reliablity of a duty gun. I am not looking to make this a comp or race gun that is not safe to carry.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum...I'm sure some of the local experts will come along and tell you the parts they have on hand.
The Taurus PT1911 is an awesome 1911 for the money. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome from the Alamo!

Post often!

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I always suggest that any 1911 owner have an extra extractor and recoil spring.
the extractors in any 1911 can last a lifetime or break one the first round , the recoil spring is simply a wear item like in any semi auto.
Like any 1911 the Taurus is not in need of any particular part being replaced due to possible breakage, the guns been around 100 years if any part was weak it would have been changed many, many years ago.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Grats on the new shooter and Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
24,937 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota. You will find all sorts of knowledge here. I have 4 PT1911s and I love em all

·
Super Moderator
37,975 Posts
Welcome aboard from Northern Illinois! You selected the model of the first Taurus that I bought and what brought me here to the forum. I've put on an S & A magwell, single sided smaller safety and an extended slide stop. I had to replace the recoil spring at about 5,000 rounds to cure some FTE and am still on the same extractor after about 8,000. I do now have a spare for that eventuality. I would just advise to shoot a couple of thousand and let it talk to you to tell you what it wants. ;)

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Welcome from North Fla

JHP
hope you enjoy your 1911 as much as i do mine

post pics and shoot it before you decide what you may want to change

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma. Congratulations on your new firearm. I have 3 PT-1911's and love them all.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Your going to love the 1911 platform, Welcome to the forum from Ft Worth,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the welcomes and info. I picked up a 100 rounds of 230gr fmj yesterday. It will be this weekend before I can go shoot. I'm sure I will love it this was my main reason for trading was to get a 1911.

It's good to know there are problem areas with this piece. I know I have a lot more questions, but I am going to hang back and do more reading ans searching here rather than flood the page with questions that have been answered a hundred times before.

Thanks again

Joe

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Glad to have you aboard!

Congrats on your "trade-up" to the PT1911.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts