Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to address as many things as i can from what i read while waiting for my pistol to arrive...Picked up my TCP yesterday and put rounds through it today after a good cleaning (was a "c" model, out of the box pretty clean and sorta buffed). Found that I could disassemble without tools other than my fingernails and had no problem putting the assembly pin back in after full removal (take an angle on it going back in). Fired mixed brass reloads (my own) of 100 gr JRN, 90 gr XTP JHP, and my own 102gr cast LRN (from wheel weights). Had no problem slingshoting rounds into the chamber or feeding them using the slide release, I was shocked at the accuracy at 35 ft...really great! This gun has about the best DA trigger of any gun I own (many)... Really smooth, long enough to be safe, not so long to be a distraction. had a few FTE through 70 rds fired, found that when I really concentrated on gripping the gun tight, FTE's went away, I've not had that problem with any other pistol...(of course, I don't have any other pistol that only weighs 12oz fully loaded). Also, I tend to load my rounds around 10% below max recommended for plinking rounds, when I loaded up loads near max, the gun cycled 100% (and threw the brass way over my head), but was a handful to hold on to. I LOVE this gun! Don't be afraid to give it a chance. I carried it in a pocket holster today, this is the first gun CCW that I ever truly "forgot" that I was carrying! Pics to follow tomorrow. I am going to give it the "spa treatment" tomorrow after another 100 rounds.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net, the friendliest handgun forum around!

Congratulations on what seems to be one very reliable and accurate little PT738 TCP.

Whether you’ve joined us to learn more about your particular Taurus handgun, or you just enjoy sitting down with a group of friendly, like-minded individuals and talking about anything to do with handguns, you have certainly come to the right place.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Nice :thumb: glad you like it, mine fits in my hand real nice. You are correct about carrying it, don't even know it's there. When mine was new I had to clean it every 50 rounds to not have feed issues, after a few hundred rounds teh break-in process has me 100% confident in its performance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll definitely follow any further reports you have on your 738 as I am on the cusp of purchasing one myself as a winter BUG and summer EDC. I've hefted one or two 738's and dry fired them. I agree the trigger is really impressive. Also, the lockback on the last round is an excellent feature omitted from Ruger and Kel-Tec (disappointingly). Does anyone have details on the action? Something I read somewhere that's distinctive about the Taurus (hinge? action vs. something more standard). Also, I saw that the extraction and reload is really fast on a few GunWebSites videos on YouTube. Which bodes well...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fired another 50 rounds to adjust my reloads and then another 25 of Hornady Critical Defense rounds to check for reliability. No Malfunctions. For me, seems to be all in the gripping of the weapon. The only rounds that I found difficult to control were my 102 gr Lead Round Nose that I had loaded near the upper end of the limit. I brought the powder down in them, and increased the powder a little bit in my 100 gr JRN and the Hornady XTP 90gr JHP... They now react identical (don't know about velocities, don't have a Chrono) to factory Hornady Critical Defense rounds and that is very comfortable to handle (though I don't see the expansion at the 380 velocities in the XTPbullet that I want, I won't use them in a carry round for the 380, but the FTX bullet in the Critical Defense Round has a lighter jacket and does just fine).
The extractor definately leaves a mark on my brass so I'll have to work on that a bit, but I hate to mess with it since everything is working perfectly. The difference in action that you are referring to I think is the "Locked Breech" (barrel moves when cycling the round) vs the "Blow Back" design (stationary barrel)... I have both types of weapons and they both work very well. If you have a Blow Back design, they tend to weigh more as the weight of the slide in concert with the recoil spring impacts when the chamber is allowed to open and begins it's cycle.

My favorite pistol for shooting is the Bersa Ultra Compact (not very compact) 9mm, my "cooler weather" carry is the KelTec P11, can pack 13+1 rounds of 9mm at 21.5 ounces, The awesome thing about the 738 is that you can carry it in pretty much anything that has a pocket so I will always have something on me now. Couldn't say that before. There were many days I couldn't "dress around" the P11 or I just didn't want to pack the weight on my ankle. Give it a "shot" if you're considering it. $199 with 1 mag is pretty common out there for a price and I think it's well worth the effort.

·
Registered
227 Posts
GET THE FINGER EXTENSION!!!!! its a must I had the same issues i couldnt grip it right it felt weard in my hands I ordered it from e bay for 22.00 with shipping makes a world of difference. I love mine need to get pics up though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts