Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! I just got the ball rolling on my conceal/carry permit. I think I've picked out the gun I'd like to get as well. (not specifically for conceal)

Taurus Raging Bull 444SS6.

First off, I'd like to know what people think about my choice, as far as my uses.. I'm an avid outdoorsman, hiking, camping, backpacking. I stay in the backcountry, campgrounds, and the likes.

I need a gun that's fun to shoot (targets), has enough boom to scare a bear, and protect myself from it if scaring it didn't work. Will protect my family in home, and while away from home. That being said, the occasional conceal would also be nice.. (with the proper holster) I'm not worried about carrying an additional 6 pounds while backpacking, if trading the weight for fun is worth it.

All in all, I was hoping to get some outside thoughts about this, as well as holster options. I've got a shoulder holster for my Contender, not really sure if it'll work for conceal or while wearing my backpack. Anybody have any ideas?

Administrator
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

Sounds to me like your Raging Bull, will suit your purposes just fine. Concealed carry? Maybe not so much! :D

Registered
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins.. and to the greatest forum around!!!

Registered
Welcome from Kentucky!

Registered
Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.:wave:

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks for the warm welcomes! I forgot to mention that I'm from SLC, UT.

Registered
Welcome from Ohio!!

Registered
Welcome.
A couple of points...
  • I wouldn't try scaring a bear. A bear can move about 60 fps. So for a bear in effective handgun range, you've got less (way less) than 2 seconds to draw, aim, and fire. To try to fit a warning shot in - and decide it didn't work - is futile.
  • Like in any defensive confrontation - don't draw unless you intend to shoot to stop the attack.
  • Caliber is less important than shot placement - and luck. There is a recent example of a man stopping a Grizzly with a .45 ACP. And I'm sure we could come up with examples of bears absorbing multiple .30-06 hits.
  • The best way to use a handgun to defend yourself against a bear attack is to draw and immediately shoot your buddy in the knee - thus ensuring your ability to run faster than he can. (That's a joke - not actual advice :D )
  • I've tried carrying a Contender in a shoulder holster (hunting upland birds with a .410). It is not fun. I'd rather carry a long gun. And wearing it under a jacket makes for a convoluted and very slow draw.
Anyway... :wave:

Registered
Welcome from Central Texas! Good choice for everything but the CC, I think.

Registered
Welcome!

Registered
Welcome from New Mexico.

Registered
Welcome from Lubbock, TX....it has been a while since we had much trouble with GRIZ!

Registered
Hello and welcome from Southeast Tennessee;;

Registered
Welcome from Arizona! You can always buy another pistol for conceal carry :)

Registered
The Raging Bull would work OK for backpacking and field use, but I would look at something more socialable (read smaller and less over penetration) for home and self defense. JMHO!

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
Welcome to the finest handgun forum on the Internet!

I do believe your Raging Bull should be most adequate for the needs that you listed. I'd say, however, that it will be a tad on the heavy side to carry concealed all day long.

You may want to consider one of these for concealed carry:

Taurus M605 .357 Magnum

1 - 20 of 44 Posts