Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to semi autos. Taurus Spectrum
Im familiar with shotguns and revolvers but no experience with semi autos. I plan on purchasing a taurus spectrum .380 for 229.99 for the purpose of target practice, concealment and self defense. I am on a budget and it looks like a great deal but I hear people crap on Taurus so much Im a bit hesitant to buy. All the review videos on this particular pistol look positive. Thoughts on this firearm and alternatives in similar function. I really want this gun but am hesitant with so many giving horror stories and mixed reviews on Taurus. The spectrum in particular I can’t find many reviews positive or negative.

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
All I can say is it's a good price. I carry Taurus revolvers, myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear good things on revolvers but as far as a semi like the spectrum goes? I plan to purchase before too long. Since I may not be able to purchase another firearm for at least 6 months to a year I would like to make sure it’s not going to malfunction at the range or in a self defense situation.

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
I think there have been a few problems with triggers, just read in a couple of posts. It's SO new, there's not a lot of experience with the Spectrum, yet. Personally, I don't think I'd wanna be a beta tester at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can understand not wanting to be a beta tester haha. I may give in and give it a shot. Currently only other option is the LCP 1st gen. For same price

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
There are lemons out there as far as the Taurus brand goes but no one I know personally has had a single issue with theirs. I have a PT840C I trust with my life.

As was said, the Spectrum is very new so it's hard to say anything about them reliability-wise. Everything I've read from Taurus suggests they are ramping up on the QC so take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: loudviking

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
I don't know what the alternative .380s run, don't keep up with 'em, but I've seen the 738 TCPs going for around 200 in sales at Academy. I kinda like Kel Tec and the P3AT kinda started all this polymer pocket 380 stuff, if not my original George Kelgren design Grendel P12, no longer available.

One observation, though, these little .380s tend to have more recoil than you'd think, they're so bloomin' light. Don't bother me so much, but might bother a new shooter.

·
Administrator
40,562 Posts
If you have interest in the Spectrum, check this forum out.

SPECTRUM

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
77 Posts
I currently recommend against the Spectrum for self-defense purposes.

I bought one specifically for testing. It fired less than half the time with light primer strikes being the result for most ammunition. That was with multiple brands of ammo, etc.

After several days of trying to reach Taurus, I finally got a human and shipped the gun back. They replaced the extractor, firing pin, spring and more before shipping it back to me. (I have no idea why the extractor was replaced.)

Took it back on the range, and I am getting the same exact problems - though at a smaller rate. Maybe one in five rounds will fail to fire due to light primer strikes. It is uncommon to shoot an entire 6 round mag without a failure to fire. So, back to the company it will go.

Interestingly, the Taurus documentation shows the gun was test fired with three different loads. All three were Federal/Speer, which are regarded by many as having the softest primers on the market. My failures were with Winchester and other brands. I'm starting to wonder if this is a design problem that will require a redesigned firing pin or heavier spring to reliably detonate all common primers.

If you are looking to purchase a subcompact .380 ACP pistol in the near future, the LCP and LCP II are both reliable pistols in my experience. Also, the trigger of the LCP II is much better than the Spectrum. Finding holsters, etc. for the Ruger pistols will likely be much easier in the near term as well.

-Richard

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I currently recommend against the Spectrum for self-defense purposes.

I bought one specifically for testing. It fired less than half the time with light primer strikes being the result for most ammunition. That was with multiple brands of ammo, etc.

After several days of trying to reach Taurus, I finally got a human and shipped the gun back. They replaced the extractor, firing pin, spring and more before shipping it back to me. (I have no idea why the extractor was replaced.)

Took it back on the range, and I am getting the same exact problems - though at a smaller rate. Maybe one in five rounds will fail to fire due to light primer strikes. It is uncommon to shoot an entire 6 round mag without a failure to fire. So, back to the company it will go.

Interestingly, the Taurus documentation shows the gun was test fired with three different loads. All three were Federal/Speer, which are regarded by many as having the softest primers on the market. My failures were with Winchester and other brands. I'm starting to wonder if this is a design problem that will require a redesigned firing pin or heavier spring to reliably detonate all common primers.

If you are looking to purchase a subcompact .380 ACP pistol in the near future, the LCP and LCP II are both reliable pistols in my experience. Also, the trigger of the LCP II is much better than the Spectrum. Finding holsters, etc. for the Ruger pistols will likely be much easier in the near term as well.

-Richard
I have heard and seen the same things with the Taurus Spectrum from other owners.

I would look at the Ruger LCP and LCP II versus the Taurus Spectrum if I was in this market. Ruger customer service is outstanding, and this comes from first hand knowledge. Taurus customer service is, well, let's not go there.

In my own searching for .380 autos, I found the Rugers at very similar prices to the Spectrum. And those I know that have and use them praise them and Ruger's customer service IF there is a problem.

Call me paranoid, but after the Class Action Lawsuit dealing with certain Taurus semi-autos, I have been leary, at best, about Taurus semi-autos.

Reactions: ColoradoJim

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Better to get something tried and true for your first semi-auto than to be a guinea pig.

For $200-$250, you should be able to purchase a number of excellent, solid firearms. Taurus PT111 G2, (EAA) SAR BP9, SAR ST9, SAR CM2, Ruger EC9, Ruger LCP Custom or LCP 2.

Any of those are an affordable choice for an auto-loader within your price range. Checkout online retailers and reviews.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Good to see someone exploring a new venture (beginning auto loader) before just running at the first opportunity they see. I went the opposite direction: I was into autoloaders for 6-7 years before beginning to move into the world of revolvers. And I did my homework when I did.

Personally, I own a Taurus 738 and a Ruger LCP. Due to my long spindly fingers, I usually carry my Taurus when I carry one. It has a tad longer trigger pull which can be a good thing on a gun with such a small frame and long fingered shooter.

Don’t have any experience with the Spectrum other than handling a few at last year’s NRA meeting in ATL.

Take your time, do your research see if you can rent or borrow some for range trials. And, don’t forget Smokewagon’s recommendation to check out our Spectrum section here.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
One thing to consider is the cost of the ammo. 380 ammo is almost twice the price of 9mm (9x19) ammo.
I second this. And the suggestion to get a PT111 Mil G2.

Reactions: jeb and TurtleTamer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The PT111 is an option. If I choose to opt for a Ruger LCP would there be much of a performance difference between the first and second generation besides trigger pull? Is one more prone to malfunction? That’s my biggest fear at moment. Hence why I didn’t just buy the spectrum already

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Since this is your 4th post, all in this thread, I think it only appropriate to say-

​Welcome to the Forum from Gulf Coast Florida!

·
Registered
541 Posts
As a Spectrum owner/early adopter, I will recommend that you do alot of reading in the Spectrum specific forum before you decide. And then, decide very, very carefully.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Get the PT111 G2 and you will be good to go!......................

Reactions: jeb and TurtleTamer

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
PT111 G2 is a tried and true cheap way to go. I have three of them.
The TCP shoots well and the trigger much better than the first gen LCP.
I would not get a first gen LCP. The trigger was really bad ànd it was painful to shoot.
TCPs can be hit or miss. I would guess the spectrum would be similar.
LCP 2 I'm told has a much better trigger.
Good luck with your choice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts