Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up separating the brass and stainless media a little bit ago. Now, while it did an awesome job cleaning the inside and primer pockets in a pretty sizable load at about 500 pieces or slightly more, I did notice some bits of brass as I poured the solution out. I wouldn't say it was a terrible amount but it was enough to raise concern. Should I be worried?

I'm using a Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler that stated 1000 case capacity for .223/5.56 which is what I was cleaning.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,245 Posts
The operation of making a flash hole leaves a little brass inside the case. The steel pins tend to knock some of it off. On brass that I have uniformed the flash hole, I seldom have brass flakes.

ymmv

·
Super Moderator
40,644 Posts
The first time I tumbled brass with stainless pins I noticed this as well. Upon some observations I believe it is from the flash holes. Then they are punched little burs are left and the pins knock them off. I am basing this on my .500 S&W Brass. I saw it the first time I tumbled once fired brass .500 S&W Brass and have not noticed again as all my .500 S&W brass has now been fired several times and I no longer see the tiny brass flakes.

All my other calibers my fired brass along with other brass picked up so I still see tiny flakes in that. I do have some .357 Mag brass that is all my reloads already tumbled. I guess I can run them and see if there are any flakes in there.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had 2 reasons for my concerns and thinking maybe I was doing something wrong (overloading?). One was the obvious loss of material. The other was an effect like shot peening making the case harder/more brittle. Maybe I just worry too much. If everyone else sees it, doesn't worry about it and loads it without catastrophic failure it should be fine. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that saw little bits of brass.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
As everyone has said the bits of brass are probably from the flash holes. Good riddance to them. The tumbling process is actually pretty gentle. When you tumble that sale brass again you probably won't see any. Tumble away!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts