Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just got a model 605, I'm new to the revolver seen, and was wondering what defense ammo everyone uses, and does anyone have any experience with hornady cd 357 loads. I have seen lots of bad comments on YouTube looking for lots of good advice.

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
While you can shoot .357 mag in the 605, I'm going to suggest you just buy one box of .357 mag at first, and nearly any quality hollow point will get the job done. In a 22 ounce revolver with a 2" barrel, it will not be fun to shoot. If you are a recoil junky and can hit with it, then ignore me.

I'm not a recoil junky and do not enjoy shooting full magnum loads in my bigger framed 4" barrel Mod 66 S & W.

I just keep a good name brand +P 130 grain hollow point load in mine and toy with ordering some +P+ hollow points.

The beautiful thing about the 605 is you can shoot a wide range of loads from mild to wild.

As to what you will want to shoot, you really need to shoot different power loads and bullet weights to decide what you are most comfortable with.

Were it me, I would shoot a 158 grain standard load .38 special in that revolver in any premium hollow point, but you aren't me.

Reactions: JerryMac

·
Registered
37 Posts
I LOOOOOVE the hydra shok 158 grain hollow point. It'll take the bad guy down and everyone in the room behind him though. Good solid round, packs a wallop!!

·
Registered
32,089 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for that link Jake.

I have my 605 loaded with Corbon 125 grain JHP +P+ .38 Specials. I have pumped quite a few magnums through mine, but I get follow up shots on target faster with the +P+. At 1250 fps the CorBon +P+ are still quite a handful in a snub.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congratulationf on your 605. Every revolver liked different ammo. I'd suggest trying as many as you can to find what works better in yours. .38 special is the only way to go for range ammo. It will help you learn trigger control and general handling of your gun. Just an FYI, I installed Hogue monogrips on mine which many of us like much better. I also like to carry mine in a Don Hume JIT belt holster. Go Bucks!

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
I looked at some of the criticisms on YouTube but hey, who the hell are those guys anyway? Do they know what they're doing?
I have some Hornady Custom .357 140 gr XTP. They are different than Critical Defense -- they are jacketed hollow points. No plastic tip -- scored.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Since you've said you're a novice to .357 revolers, I'd suggest a oremium .38 spl. defense load.

There is not a nickles worth of difference in their street performance, try several and stck with the one you shoot the best in your particular revolver.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The gun shop where I bought my 605 recommended Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Since you have a .357 magnum revolver, load it with .38 Special for the range if you want to, but when time comes to carry it or place it on the nightstand next to your bed, be sure you've loaded it with the powerhouse .357 magnum ammo.

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
Inside your home, you do not want to shoot a full magnum, particularly in low light or the dark. The first shot will blind you and deafen you and nothing for 8 walls will be beyond reach.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I use Federal's non +p 110gr Hydrashok hollowpoints in my S&W .38. It actually gives excellent performance because of the bullet weight, and it has the advantage of less recoil as well -- a good thing because the .38 is my wife's go to firearm.

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
I went to the range today and fired some Critical Defense .38 spcl, 110 gr. FTX. It's accurate on target out of my snub nose 817. No recoil to speak of. The muzzle flash was somewhat surprising. Really bright fireball. Anything close to it would be burned to a crisp. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to the range today and fired both the 357 mag critical defense and .38 specials and the cd fired great I was off alot at 20 ft with the 38 spl though. Since it was my first time I will give it a few more times with the 38spl and see what I think. so far had easy time with both, except double tap. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I want to the range today and fired both the 357 mag critical defense and .38 specials and the cd fired great I was off alot at 20 ft with the 38 spl though. Since it was my first time I will give it a few more times with the 38spl and see what I think. so far had easy time with both, except double tap. Thanks to everyone for your advice.
csxman5115, fixed sight 357 Magnum, AND 38 Special fixed sight revolvers are designed to shoot POA (Point of Aim) with 158gr ammunition. Properly regulated, the POI (Point of Impact); will equal POA.

I carry a 605 as a primary and carry
Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition as a carry load. It is as powerful as the much touted Remington® 158gr LSWCHP +P, achieving the same velocity and foot pounds of energy w/o the higher pressure or recoil. If you want to push the limit in 38 Special+P ammunition this is superior stuff: Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition. Lastly, if you wish to use 357 Magnum ammo for self defense try the Remington® Golden Saber® 125gr BJHP at medium velocity (1220fps). It is a great load for a light snub nose 357 Magnum revolver; much more controllable than the full tilt 125gr 357 Magnum at 1450fps.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The gun shop where I bought my 605 recommended Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Since you have a .357 magnum revolver, load it with .38 Special for the range if you want to, but when time comes to carry it or place it on the nightstand next to your bed, be sure you've loaded it with the powerhouse .357 magnum ammo.

I totally disagree with this. You don't .357 rounds in a nightstand gun. The flash will blind you, and the bang will do great harm to your hearing! You're much better off with the lessor .38 special.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to the range yesterday, the recoil was easy to deal with. I think this is a great little gun with great power. I'm going to try some golden sabers and critical defense in 38spl.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts