Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I went to the range and for the first time fired re-loads that I made. I've just gotten into the re-loading hobby. I was nervous, but all went well. I was way off my targets, at first, but then I started getting better. I re-loaded .38 spls. using Speer LSWC in 158 gr. and Bullseye powder with CCI primers. I shot them using both my model 66 .357 and my Blackhawk .357. My only .38 is an LCR, and I don't want to shoot anything but factory ammo in it. At least for now. To make a long story short, I think I will enjoy reloading. Thanks to all who post on this forum. It has given me a lot of good information.

·
Super Moderator
35,510 Posts
It's a great feeling to be able to lessen your dependence on the ammo shelves, cut costs and tailor your ammo to your needs. I also find it to be a relaxing experience.

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
It's a great hobby. I found that when I started reloading, my shooting habit increased as well, and in the long run I spend just as much on ammo as I always did... I just get to shoot more.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new to reloading too. I always find that the first shot is the hardest for me. If my gun doesn't blow up then I feel pretty confident in shooting the rest, LOL. So far I've reloaded a couple hundred rounds of 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal Magnum for my LCR and now I'm reloading .45 ACP with 185 grain XTPs, using a Lee single stage breech lock press which is great for beginners. I've only loaded with True Blue powder but I really like it. Burns fairly clean and meters well. I will also be reloading 38 spl/357 Mag once I get my revolver back from Taurus.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Be careful and pay attention. If you have the slightest doubt about something you put together take them all apart
and potentially save yourself. I just took apart 60 rounds of .40 that I put together having used a powder charge
for .45 ACP. Painful but worth the effort AND I got to reload them AGAIN!

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I hand loaded my first round in 1956, been at it ever since. Seems there is always something new popping up that keeps it interesting; new cartridges, new guns, new chambering in old guns, wildcatting, shooting paper, steel, clay pigeons, or just going to poke holes in the air.
Keep good records of every load and/or combination you ever try. I use 3 x 5 recipe cards because that's what I started with and they work. Make notes on the cards after you test the load. Hopefully you'll keep the cards and refer to them years later and maybe not end up repeating mistakes. Good Luck, Good Shooting and pay attention to every detail and keep records.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
My process is to check, then double check all load data no matter how many times that I have loaded a particular round BEFORE I begin.
then randomly double check weights of powder say every 15 or so rounds, same with OAL about every 25 or so rounds.
I use a Turret press as I don't like the limitations of a progressive press and ability to check whats going on, the faster you go many times the farther you get behind.
I likely need to buy myself a new bullet puller as mine is about 7-8-9 years old now and has been used maybe 12 times and that was because of a split or chipped case after loading.
anybody know IF thats near the life span of a bullet puller?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Eight year old thread......
Yes another Revenant but I at least will cut the newb some slack.

rev44 a new thread would have been more appropriate and easier to follow and direct towards you. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your reloading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts