Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pastor/hunting buddy bought a new truck and needs to sell his old hunting truck. It's an early 2000s F150 4x4. It's got big tires on it, not sure what, but they do sing on the pavement. Every redneck wants a singing truck, right? ;D So, it's gonna cost me $3500. The thing runs great, 120K on it, very little on the engine. It's been rebuilt. I won't pick it up until my wife gets home from her quilting retreat Sunday afternoon. This will be the second used Ford I've ever bought. I was never a Ford guy, but can't resist a 4x4 for the price. I'll probably want a winch on it, eventually. That's the best insurance against getting stuck. Oh, I don't mean using it to get unstuck. But, since I put one on my ATV, I can't seem to get the thing stuck. :D Stuck it twice before the winch. :confused:

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Congrats on your NTY truck. I can't see a need for puttin' a winch on a Ford, though...:mellow:...the tow truck'll have one. :icon_ poke:

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
You got a good deal there, NT. Congrats! You need to fill in all the missing details - year, engine size, wheel and tire size, etc. And pics. We'll give you three days* after you get it to post some pics.

I didn't realize that if I get a winch for my pickup, I'll never get stuck. I have a receiver built into my aftermarket front bumper, so I don't need to leave it hanging out there all the time. Hmm, that might be something to consider.

* Daily time extensions for those pics are available for a modest fee.
:D

·
Super Moderator
35,541 Posts
Sounds like a solid deal...congrats on finding a holy roller! :D

Reactions: nevadabob

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
My pastor/hunting buddy bought a new truck and needs to sell his old hunting truck. It's an early 2000s F150 4x4. It's got big tires on it, not sure what, but they do sing on the pavement. Every redneck wants a singing truck, right? ;D So, it's gonna cost me $3500. The thing runs great, 120K on it, very little on the engine. It's been rebuilt. I won't pick it up until my wife gets home from her quilting retreat Sunday afternoon. This will be the second used Ford I've ever bought. I was never a Ford guy, but can't resist a 4x4 for the price. I'll probably want a winch on it, eventually. That's the best insurance against getting stuck. Oh, I don't mean using it to get unstuck. But, since I put one on my ATV, I can't seem to get the thing stuck. :D Stuck it twice before the winch. :confused:

$3500 for an early 2000's sounds good, then throw 4x4 on top and it sounds like a really good deal.

Pastor: Should be telling the truth about any issues.
Hunting buddy: His life is in your hands when out in the wilderness.

I think you can trust the guy.

·
Super Moderator
35,541 Posts
^^ A match made in heaven/

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
Congratulations on the new-to-you F-150 4x4 and may it serve you well! :cool:
My friends and Family have gotten very good service from F-150's in the past.

The thing runs great, 120K on it, very little on the engine. It's been rebuilt.
Why was this Engine rebuilt and which Engine is it?

·
Administrator
39,378 Posts
Congrats, NT, on the new to you Ford! I’ve loved all my Fords, and I will definitely buy another. After all, Texas is Ford country.:thumb:

Reactions: jwc007

·
21,951 Posts
America is Ford country.

That is a great deal! We look forward to more details!

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, I've only had one other 4x4 and it was a Toyota that I bought 6 years old and drove 18 years. :D But, I've at least ridden in this one to Uvalde last hunting season and it made it back. :rofl: The wife will get the Chevy mainly because it hasn't been sitting up and gumming anything up. I'm more worried about that than any wear items. Engine runs good, though, was rebuilt before Pastor James bought it.

And, yes, these women have their little sleep overs and immerse themselves in sewing their quilts. You know, gun folks could learn from these ladies. I might enjoy a shooting retreat. :D

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
My only question is:
There's such a thing as a Quilting Retreat?
Yes there is! When I was a kid, "quilting bees" were still fairly common. I can tell you from experience, that if you come home and the women are quilting...:blink:...you're definitely gonna' wanna' retreat. The only thing worse, was the one time my grandmother took me along to a friend's "loom party". :sad:...holy crap.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Holly got home this morning and when I got home from church, we ate and went and got it. I drove it home. My memory fails me, but it's not a standard floor shift, it's an automatic. Only shifter on the floor is the 4 x 4 shifter. And, the engine is a dog. It's a V8, but is a small block. I'm quite sure it wouldn't go far towing our travel trailer. It's why we bought the chevy. It runs okay on the highway, just nothing to bet your title on. :rofl: I have to remount the front brush guard. The front license plate mounts to it. It's a 2004 model and came with a cassette deck. :rolleyes: Oh, well, I still have a cassette recorder and can probably find blank cassettes via google.

No problems with the engine other than it's not exactly race tuned. :rofl: So long as it gets me there and back, all that matters. I'll get a pic of it when I can and post it.

Oh, yeah, interestingly for a Texas A&M graduate of Wildlife and Fisheries sciences, on the door faded out after the lettering was removed, you can see the lettering "Texas A&M Wildlife Research, King range research unit" on it. :D Well, I think it's cool. They could have kept the letters on it far as I'm concerned. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, the AC works now. I charged it with leak stop and Freon. I had to google for the location of the danged low pressure valve/port, but I finally found it. Chills out, now, just in time for hunting season and cold fronts. :rolleyes:

We went to town and got the title in our name today. It is officially ours, now. NOW, the wife wants to drive it. :rolleyes: I told her it's a man's truck, probably the wrong thing to say. I'll never again get to drive it. :rofl: So, I compromised and told her to get a big plastic box the size of the back seat and if she wants to carry fabric in it, I can pull the box out when I need the truck to go hunting or fishing.

The Ford is a bit rough riding, steers a little heavy, doesn't have the brakes or the motor the Chevy has (found it's a 4.6 liter Ford V8 with a 3 speed automatic vs 6 speed automatic in the Chevy). So, I'll probably get the truck in the end and, if not, at least I can use it when I really need it. :D

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Everything in moderation:

4.6L V-8 Engine
4-spd auto w/OD Transmission
231 @ 4,750 rpm Horsepower
293 @ 3,500 rpm Torque

Have you checked or replaced the air filter?

·
21,951 Posts
Wow, tuning obviously matters. I had an expedition with the 4.6L, and it was one of the most responsive engines I've ever owned.

Still no pictures though...

·
17,579 Posts
OK, the AC works now. I charged it with leak stop and Freon. I had to google for the location of the danged low pressure valve/port, but I finally found it. Chills out, now, just in time for hunting season and cold fronts. :rolleyes:

We went to town and got the title in our name today. It is officially ours, now. NOW, the wife wants to drive it. :rolleyes: I told her it's a man's truck, probably the wrong thing to say. I'll never again get to drive it. :rofl: So, I compromised and told her to get a big plastic box the size of the back seat and if she wants to carry fabric in it, I can pull the box out when I need the truck to go hunting or fishing.

The Ford is a bit rough riding, steers a little heavy, doesn't have the brakes or the motor the Chevy has (found it's a 4.6 liter Ford V8 with a 3 speed automatic vs 6 speed automatic in the Chevy). So, I'll probably get the truck in the end and, if not, at least I can use it when I really need it. :D
Well,she can drive it as soon as those quilted seat covers are finished....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts