Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning we went to the range to shoot some new old firearms before coming in to work, one of which is a new-to-me S & W Highway Patrolman model 28-2 from the early 1960's. It has a 6" barrel and the original not oversized grips, which are very comfortable for me (a geeze-ette with smallish hands), not so much for DH (which mean's this one will be mine!) It has the matt finish, which was less expensive for S & W to manufacture, but it is very well balanced, and very, very accurate! Overall - it was an absolute JOY to shoot! Never even had to adjust the sights and hit the X multiple times with DH's nicely re-loaded 38's! It appears to have been very well taken care of, and before ya'll jump on me about showing a picture of a dirty gun- I took it from the range directly to work here where I could take a picture, and when we get home tonight I promise, on my honor, to clean it well - even bough a torpedo brush at the range just for it!

I really like to shoot these old beauties. I feel that I am very fortunate indeed, to get the opportunity to do so, and wanted to share with you just how "cool" a firearm like this really is. Actually, this isn't really even that old - compared to the Remington model 51 we also shot today (link to post: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/other-handguns/97162-old-remington-51-treasured-find.html). Old firearms have history, character, and make you think about all the folks that may have fired it before you - who were they, what did they do with their lives, what part did the firearm play for them, etc! Thanks for checking in!:)
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The N-frame Smiths are true workhorses....with the Model 28 Highway Patrolman being the Clydesdale of them all.

Classic lines, tough as a tank, and probably the gun that started the "value" line for all other manufacturers onward. It's simply a Model 27 .357 Magnum minus all the bells and whistles.

Congratulations!

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
Very nice.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Very nice gun and it's great you appreciate the history. Shoot it often in good health.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
This morning we went to the range to shoot some new old firearms before coming in to work, one of which is a new-to-me S & W Highway Patrolman model 28-2 from the early 1960's. It has a 6" barrel and the original not oversized grips, which are very comfortable for me (a geeze-ette with smallish hands), not so much for DH (which mean's this one will be mine!) It has the matt finish, which was less expensive for S & W to manufacture, but it is very well balanced, and very, very accurate! Overall - it was an absolute JOY to shoot! Never even had to adjust the sights and hit the X multiple times with DH's nicely re-loaded 38's! It appears to have been very well taken care of, and before ya'll jump on me about showing a picture of a dirty gun- I took it from the range directly to work here where I could take a picture, and when we get home tonight I promise, on my honor, to clean it well - even bough a torpedo brush at the range just for it!

I really like to shoot these old beauties. I feel that I am very fortunate indeed, to get the opportunity to do so, and wanted to share with you just how "cool" a firearm like this really is. Actually, this isn't really even that old - compared to the Remington model 51 we also shot today (link to post: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/other-handguns/97162-old-remington-51-treasured-find.html). Old firearms have history, character, and make you think about all the folks that may have fired it before you - who were they, what did they do with their lives, what part did the firearm play for them, etc! Thanks for checking in!:)
View attachment 56549
Beautiful wheel gun.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Very nice! I don't my seeing a dirty gun.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Love the new old gun:). I have a 1954 Highway Patrolman that I inherited from my dad. Like Miss Kitty's, mine is a 4". To me, the coolest thing about these early 28's/HP's is that that they were likely carried by a state trooper or police officer back in the day. Like you said - "history". Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
It doesn't get any better then a S&W revolver. Yours is sweet!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I love it!

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Very nice wheelie! I have one like that but a snubby.

·
Administrator
41,031 Posts
Carried one of those with a four inch barrel in another life. Excellent duty revolvers! :thumb:

Reactions: Sekol and NYPD

·
Registered
477 Posts
Love the new old gun:). I have a 1954 Highway Patrolman that I inherited from my dad. Like Miss Kitty's, mine is a 4". To me, the coolest thing about these early 28's/HP's is that that they were likely carried by a state trooper or police officer back in the day. Like you said - "history". Thanks for posting.
I have a 4" too, and mine was definitely carried by one, there's barely a finish left on it.

Reactions: Sekol and Rossi

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 32 Posts