Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I just got a new to me PT92 without decocker. I took it to the range and was impressed with the accuracy.

Since the grips are a little worn I ordered a set of Hogue Pau Ferro grips and a Pro Carry IWB holster. Figured Brazilian hardwood grips made sense.

So my question is this, does anyone else carry this and how do you carry it. Debating between cocked and locked or pointing at the neighbors yippee dog and carefully lowering the hammer.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 88keys

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Sounds like you already know the two choices available, cocked & locked or riding the hammer back down. The 92 is perfectly safe C&L because the design of the trigger isn't as sensitive as a 1911, you're probably not going to notice the hammer cocked while carrying unless it pokes you when you bend over.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Congrats on the new to you 92!

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine"state.

State of "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

Cocked and locked if it were mine.

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
I don't carry my non decocker 99 anymore, its a home defense weapon.
IT rides hammer down caught by the firing pin safety , so its basically a DA/SA, no fumbling around with a safety in the middle of the night, simply pull the trigger after aiming.
You can safely (but cautiously) lower the hammer by holding the hammer, pulling the trrigger gently and let it go as the hammer starts to release, you will find the hammer will catch, if you care to lower it farther then gently hold the hammer and pull the trigger lightly once again, it will rest against the back of the firing pin.
just like putting the hammer down on a 80 series 1911, just control the hammer fall with your fingers.
weapon should be pointed in a safe direction all this time.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
My 99 doesn't have one of those decocker contraptions either, (bought in 1985). My decocker has always been my thumb. Yes it can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the advice, I have heard a lot of issue with Taurus products in the past but after shooting this I am wondering if I may of been misled.

How are the newer model PT92s I may want to get a model with a decocker in the near future. Any suggestion on after market mags with higher capacity?

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have current production PT-92 AFS that is absolutely reliable. I have maybe 3K-5K rounds downrange from it with no issues. I had to clean out the firing pin channel once, but that was simple to push a pin to remove the extractor. It is a great design and Taurus has made a bunch of them.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your "new" pistol. Welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
Congratulations on your vintage/older PT92 and may it serve you well! :cool:

As for manually decocking your PT92, I consider being able to safely manually decock a Pistol to be an essential skill of Pistol handling.
I happen to use other DA/SA handguns,notably of the Cz75 pattern, that have no automatic decocking mechanism, and I use them DA first shot- Safety off, in most cases.
I'll load and decock my carry or house Pistol on my back patio, with the muzzle pointed at the dirt in my back yard.

Any suggestion on after market mags with higher capacity?
Yes! The new Mec-Gar Anti-Friction Coated 19/20 round Magazines are excellent, in my experience.
Don't bother with the ProMag 30 rounders unless you just have to have them for the novelty effect. In my experience, they tend to bind a little, internally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, been practicing decocking it with snap caps and I got the hang of it.

jwc007 I appreciate the advice on the mags. I am going to a show Sat and will see if they have any. If not I can get some ammo for my new to me Enfield No 2 MK1*

(It is great to have a wife who likes to go shooting. No one is there telling me no)

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Thanks all for the advice, I have heard a lot of issue with Taurus products in the past but after shooting this I am wondering if I may of been misled.

How are the newer model PT92s I may want to get a model with a decocker in the near future. Any suggestion on after market mags with higher capacity?

First, welcome to the forum DS!

Second, yes, you have been misled

Third, the new models are great, only draw back is the rail (it reduces the sex appeal of the gun)

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Congrats on the PT-92.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the Taurus family from NJ !

New Jersey.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts