Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cruising the pawnshops and found an old pre-decocker PT92. Lots of finish wear but internals were immaculate. Priced at $350 with two magazines. Catch and release as not interested in another SA frame safety metal framed pistol with 5" barrel now. Have plenty of those including in 9mm.

obscura1570026374452.jpg

Went cross town and found a shiny PT917CS. This one appeared to have been used and carried regularly. Anodizing worn to a satin sheen on the front and backstrap. Looks like it was never cleaned.

obscura1570029203020.jpg

obscura1570029083373.jpg

Has a small dent on the front tip of the starboard slide. Probably dropped on concrete. May be a good reason to do a dehorn. Will need to think about that. Nice thing about stainless slide is no refinish is necessary.

IMG_20191002_092651.jpg

Front sight cleaned up sharp after removing grease, dirt, and lint.

IMG_20191002_092404.jpg you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Rear sight shifted significantly to the right. May try tapping the front sight so the rear sight doesn't create a small hangup off the slide. No reason why the rear dovetail had to do all the work. Right white dot not visible but left cleaned up OK. May need to touch up further.

IMG_20191002_092418.jpg

Looks to have the original locking block. No cracks in locking block or slide. Locking block quite loose and can be easily removed by giving the barrel a shake.

Came home with me with one 17 round magazine OEM for $350 plus rendering unto Caesar his share.

15700370636343121184606264617021.jpg

Clean up was Herculean in nature. Magazine spring looks a little weak. A little finicky when going back together. I think it may because the locking block is a little wobbly. Goes right back together easily if I remove and reseat the guide rod and spring.

Replacement mag spring and Beretta centurion 16# recoil spring ordered to fix magazine and provide coil clipping experimentation fun. Beretta 92 D hammer spring on sale at Brownells for $3. Picked up enough to get free shipping.

15700366796846959823622008637161.jpg

I would like a factory replacement spring for the PT917 but not able to find PT917 specific recoil springs at Numrich or other usual haunts for replacement bits. Dropped Taurus USA an email about availability of PT917 recoil springs as the pistol is still sold in the international market.

While awaiting an answer from Taurus USA, acquired a few PT92C springs thinking the barrel length being the same might mean the recoil springs would work. Will compare coils and length as I don't think the previous owner ever changed the recoil spring based on the dirtiness and rough wear on the gun.

Newest locking block and plunger obtained from Beretta USA.

15700369406658553341529114005609.jpg

Thinking about the Wilson Combat short reach trigger modification if I am going to have this thing apart anyway for the hammer spring replacement.

Should keep me busy with tinkering for a bit.

Range report to follow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Chatted with Elizabeth at taurususa.com.
Determined that my pistol was born on April 2009. Old enough to vote but not yet to drink.
Two recoil springs and a set of Taurus safety keys are on the way, gratis of Taurus USA. Will be interesting to see if I get real PT917CS recoil springs or PT92 springs. Will compare with the spring in the gun and the PT92C springs from Numrich. Front sights not available through taurususa.com and rear sights are special order without definite delivery date.

Sent a request to [email protected] for the English copy of the technical specifications as well as a parts list for the international PT917C. The download link for the English technical specifications is broken. Will post if Taurus BR follows through.
https://www.taurusexport.com/en/products/pistols/large-frame/pt-917-c

·
22,017 Posts
I got one of them. Bought it new a few years ago.
It came with an extended magazine.

Good lookin pistol.

·
Administrator
17,813 Posts
Nice find, glad it's gone to a good home, and will be well cared for! :cool:
Glad that you are refurbishing it! :smile:
Congratulations! :smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts