Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone this is my first post on this site, I own many taurus weapons but this is my first 24/7 mod, I bought it so I could have a 45 with a longer barrel to get out and reach things outside of the 50yd range of my pt145 that I use as my carry weapon, I was looking for a oss mod but it seemed like they were all bought up so I went with the pro long slide, it has the same barrel part number as the oss so it seemed like it would fit the bill, I do have a few questions about the weapon and thought this would be the place to get the answers, first is this sst 24/7 mod rare ? I have looked thru the site here and havent found any like it yet, also what years were they made from what I can find it was only made from 09 to 10 but im sure someone in here can tell me for sure, second the sights on the weapon are dove tailed and have a set screw in the center of them, how do you adjust them, do you loosen up the set screw then wack the side of the sight to move them for windage, or does the screw move them when turned or is the screw used for elevation, my new to me weapon was made in 2010 was that a good yr or bad yr for these ? also this weapon has a match grade barrel will it be a good shooter out to 100yrds. I love the looks of the weapon, the stainless slide really makes the gun look nice and it fits my hand well, I will be taking it to the range this weekend to air it out, is there anything I should look out for, thanks and yall have a great day

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome from TX and congrats on the 24/7 LS .45. Your LS is very similar to my OSS .45 and the whole original 24/7 series are discontinued now. I can say that all of them, from the compacts to the LS & OSS ones are excellent pistols. I know we have many members that own the LS pistols so please wait for their input.

You can check your model on this page.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

·
Registered
36,019 Posts
First welcome to the forum.
I have seen 4-5 Long slides but they were all 24/7 Pro LS( never seen a Pro LS D/S personally), not really sure how long they were made or how many, of course the 24/7 is /was a very mass produced weapon so collectors value likely isn't going to happen.
you can go to the Taurus website and go to find my model, put in the serial number and it will/should give you the manufacture date of your weapon.
I would imagine that they were nor produced very long as the OSS hit the market the LS went away as they are close to the same weapon (minus the ambi safety).
a for the sights they are windage adjustable only, to change elevation you will need a different height sight or use different weight/speed ammunition to get zero.
as you thoguht lossen the screw and tap the sight over for windage adjustments, be aware thta the screws are different size between the front sight and the rear sight.
Enjoy they are normally very accurate weapons.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins.. I know you'll enjoy this forum, its the nicest one around!!!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
olfarhors, does the LS have a match grade barrel and does the 24/7 LS barrel have the same length as the OSS barrel? The OP's 1st post confused me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info guys I did ck the ser no and it came back as a 2010 build date, and thanks on the sight info, is there any aftermarket sights made for this that are good but wont break the bank, could anyone put a round about value of this 24/7 ls ds, ive seen the oss mod selling for what I thought was a give away price at buds for around 337.00 but those were blued slides and are sold out, this one is stainless and it has had about 100 rnds thru it, to me it still will need a few hundred more for a proper break in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi before i bought the weapon i called taurus and they told me that the barrel on the 24/7 pro ls ds has the same barrel part number as the oss that has the match grade barrel, to me that was one of the selling or should i say buying points for me.

olfarhors, does the LS have a match grade barrel and does the 24/7 LS barrel have the same length as the OSS barrel? The OP's 1st post confused me.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
If I remember correctly, before the LS guns totally disappeared, Bud's had the stainless LS .45 for around $350 cash price. I remember the price because I was wanting to buy it then I changed my mind and got the SR9c instead for a bit more.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
hi before i bought the weapon i called taurus and they told me that the barrel on the 24/7 pro ls ds has the same barrel part number as the oss that has the match grade barrel, to me that was one of the selling or should i say buying points for me.
Thanks! The reason I asked was because I remember the LS was listed on Bud's as having a 5" barrel whereas the OSS barrel is 5.25".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hahaha I try to keep a close eye on bud myself, my next buy from them will be one of those kal tec ar15 pistols for 499.00 if they ever get them back in, ive seen them run out of them 3 times now but ive got my coins saved up for the next run of them

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I own 2 LS DS models, one SS 40 S&W and one blued 45. Not for sure but I believe these were the OSS before there was an OSS. Have not tried any 100 yd shots but I know 50 yds they are fairly accurate.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad your got your hands on the five inch barrel!:)

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
:nopics:

Reactions: Long_Shot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well took it to the range today and shot at 50ft, it shot low and to the left about 2in off the bullseye, it did put all rounds almost in the same hole, well it put 19rnds in a cut out area about 1.in in dia a one flyer about 2in away, looks like i will have to get some aftermarket sights for it does anyone know of some for this weapon that are good but not too expensive thanks guys

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Oh, about the sights again. It's best to shoot the gun a while, several hundred rounds, to get a feel for the need to drift the sights at all. Your hand gets used to the gun and you work on accuracy as is and the shots just seem to get closer and closer to the point of aim.

Once your sure of the need to drift a sight, learn from my experience.Those screws will be very hard to turn with an allen wrench, because they are usually set with the help of something like Loctite. It will take some scratching around in there to even get a purchase with the correct wrenches. Then work it loose and tighten it again, looser and tighten, looser and tighten again so the screw sorta cleans out the threads. It shouldn't take much to have the sight loose enough to slip that tiny bit with the help of a punch or something. If you're sure it moved then it's good to tighten it up and shoot it see if you got close to what you wanted. When you'e satisfied, scrunch them down again and put a dab of red (?) Locite to discourage those screws from ever coming loose.
I had sights about to fall off before I got wise about that.

Others with far more wisdom and experience on this forum can advise you further.

Oh, and welcome to this forum.

Reactions: Long_Shot

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
looks like i will have to get some aftermarket sights for it does anyone know of some for this weapon that are good but not too expensive thanks guys
Depends upon which LS version you have. If you have the 24/7 Pro version, you will need the same sights as the Millenium Series Pistols. If you have a 24/7 Pro DS, you will need the 24/7 OSS series Rear Sights, as the Rear Dovetails are quite different between the two.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well it says pt 24/7 pro ls ds so would that mean I need the oss sights, the weapon looks like an oss. thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks bre I was shooting from a rest today and almost putting the rounds thru the same hole every shot so its shooting well, im going to try 50yrds in a few days and see how that goes, im sure I wasnt pulling my shots but maby a little more down range the rounds might get more on center, ive had a few weapons that have shot like that before, but I would like to have a good set of sights to dial it in any way. again thanks for the info.

well took it to the range today and shot at 50ft, it shot low and to the left about 2in off the bullseye, it did put all rounds almost in the same hole, well it put 19rnds in a cut out area about 1.in in dia a one flyer about 2in away, looks like i will have to get some aftermarket sights for it does anyone know of some for this weapon that are good but not too expensive thanks guys

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
hahaha I try to keep a close eye on bud myself, my next buy from them will be one of those kal tec ar15 pistols for 499.00 if they ever get them back in, ive seen them run out of them 3 times now but ive got my coins saved up for the next run of them
Well, whatever you do, don't "clown around" :icon_ poke:and spend that money on something else before the next run comes along!:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts