Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I picked up a used 709SS off of gunbroker for a potential carry weapon. $250 shipped, no FFL fee ( I know a guy). So i'm pretty happy about that. 2010 model. Checked it out and it looks pretty good. Tiny holster wear mark, but the feed ramp looks well polished.

Dissasembled and gave it a little cleaning, it was pretty clean and well lubed.

Took it to the range a few days ago, and it shoots low left. After reading the VERY helpful posts here on the subject I was a little prepared, so I moved the windage all the way to the right, loaded one round only, did the best job of benchresting I could with no sandbag at the time and high target,(seated, firm grip, both elbows on the table, SLOW trigger pull till the break point, slow pressure to release the sear, and really concentrating on the front sight).

Still low left. It does group.

Elevation on the sights move up and down, but the bottom 3 clicks don't seem to move the sight. I took it apart and did the best cleaning I could with what I had at the time, it looks OK in there.

I Just ordered a Hogue Jr grip, and snapcaps, and am going to rig up a cheap laser pointer on the slide to try and see if it's trigger control, but other than that, any suggestions?

I'm far from a newb to handguns, but aside from the Ruger SR22 I have, this is the smallest pistol yet.

The good news is it fired through 50 walmart (fedral I think) hollowpoints without a hicckup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To Add:
O guess I have average hands with long fingers, and I had 1/2 of the pad of my index finger (obviously) on the trigger.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition of the PT709 Slim!

Its slim design and light weight make it a fine carry gun.

I have the 740 and, for a concealed carry self-defense pistol, I think it is "tops". :rating10:

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I added the Pearce Grip Extention to mine and that seemed to help a little with the low and left. The more I shoot it, the better I am getting with it. Because of it's small size, I believe I am pulling it down when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Ditto to #3, #4 & #5. My 709 rear site was warranty replaced on Taurus trip to Miami. Has been much better since, and way better from rest. Gotta work on the shooter now.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
If you REALLY want to know where the barrel is aimed compared to the sights, $30 will get you the answer.

Sightmark Laser Pistol Boresighter: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

I use these to sight in rail mount lasers. Just load it by the magazine and aim at something 25ft away to check the open sights. I like to dial the rail mounted lasers in at 25-50 yards.

With all the chatter about Low/Left, I popped one into my 740 and the dot was high right compared to the sights. I can still jerk it down to make the POI low/left. BUT when I smoothly and slowly position the trigger rearward, it puts holes in the center of the target. A buddy that shot it CONSISTENTLY jerked it down 3 shots in a row. Flinches are wondrous things....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts