Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a nice earlier 6-shot 66 blued in 6" length. I picked it up for $220 from a gentleman parting out his late father's collection. I didn't hesitate to make a grab for it, even though a newer 7-shot version was on my list for twice as much. I'm impressed by it's tightness after years and a claimed "few boxes" of ammo it has digested in it's life. I can still see some factory grease. It's cherry. I was just reminded to check the barrel to cylinder gap. It's 0.003". That's three thousandths of an inch. I believe 0.005-0.007" is more common from the factory. I can't wait to shoot it, but wish I had a chronometer. Photos to come.

I'm meeting him again soon to pick up a 4" stainless Ruger Security Six with Pachmayr's for just a bit more.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on what sounds like a really nice find.

We will let you know for sure once we see the pics!:D

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Good luck with your new acquisition

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Great buy. Taurus really is a bargain USED in a Smith and Wesson crazy market like down here. I picked up both mine at gun shows, the 3" for 180 bucks, the 4" for 200. The 3" is older and has obviously had a LOT of rounds through it as it's a little looser than the 4". The 4" is like new. Both guns shoot great! My 3" will hold its fav loads into 1.5" at 25 yards off a rest and the 4" will hold 1" at 25. That's as good as my old eyes can do with open sights.

I had a 4" security Six for years, traded it on my 6.5" Blackhawk. I made a good trade. The Security Six was a tough, strong design, but it had quite a bit more felt recoil than does either of my 66s. It also wouldn't shoot .38 loads for squat, wadcutter into about 4" and way off both windage and elevation from the 140 JHP .357s it preferred. It shot .357s just fine, about 1" at 25 yards, but the .38s frustrated me. The Blackhawk is a MUCH better shooting gun and even stronger in design being a single action. I love that thing as a hunting and outdoor gun, so it was a good trade and I have the 4" 66 for hiking and the 3" 66 for occasional concealed carry, now, as medium frame DA replacements for the Security Six.

I would buy another Security Six again, especially a 2.5" Service Six, if I could find a deal on one. I just didn't much care for the one I had and wanted that Blackhawk real bad. :D

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Nice score at a great price. The Taurus 66's are fine revolvers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts