Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought myself an early Christmas present a PT 24/7 .40cal Stainless. Brought it out to the local range last week and put 100 shots through it. What a nice shooting gun! Didn't want to stop shooting just ran out of ammo. I was happy with my accuracy having never shot a handgun before. I was able to put around 75% of my shots on target at 20 feet with the others just missing. Most of my shots were low right (right handed shooter). I have figured out what I was doing wrong by searching other forms so now I just to work on tightening up the groups.

Question,
1. Is it OK to dry fire this gun? And if it is OK; Should I have the Mag in or is it OK to practice with it out. I'm thinking there is a lot less chance of accidentally loading a shell that way.

2. Also I just sent in my CCW application to Wisconsin. so Wondering what kind of holsters you guys are using with this gun.

Thanks and stay safe
Bear air

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome from Central Pa and congrats on the new 24/7!!! If yer gonna be dry firing its best to pick up some "snapcaps" to protect from damage to the firing pin.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins....Nice choice on your new gun, and sounds like your really picking it up..You'll love this forum, such nice bunch of knowledgable guys, that know how to have clean fun!!!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Welcome from NW Ohio.

·
Super Moderator
21,438 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Mid TN. Just to make sure make sure you Break it down and clean it well the packing grease is not a lubricant. And can cause trouble. A can of polymer safe Gunscubber and some Breakfree CLP is a good start. The 24/7 is a great gun that should give you many years of enjoyment.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Welcome from East Texas!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

1. Get Snap Caps for dry fire.
2. Remove ALL Ammo from gun and magazine you use to load the snap cap.
3. Put ALL loose ammo and loaded magazines in a different room.
4. Continue to practice all 4 of the gun safety rules even though it is unloaded. Because Rule #1 Treat every gun as though it is loaded.
5. Pick a non permanent object (sticky note) for your target and place it on the wall. Remove it when you are done.
6. When you are done say out loud "I am done dry firing my gun" then return your gun to its carry state (ammo back in ready to go).

These may seem obvious, but when followed religiously you will lessen or eliminate your chances of an ND.

Also follow these same steps for practice drawing your weapon until you are at the range and feel 100% comfortable with your draw technique.

Enjoy your new gun and soon your new carry rights.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome from the Great State of Mississippi!

Please take the time to read the forum rules and guidelines. You will find that the guidelines are fair, reasonable, and sensible; and are in place for the good of all concerned.

Also, each section in this forum contains useful information which can be found in the sticky topics at the top of each section.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ohio!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum from your (very envious) neighbor to the South in Northern Illinois. :(

To practice trigger/muzzle control while dry firing with snap caps place a coin on top of the slide and practice keeping it there through the trigger pull. Stack a few when you get more consistent.

Search around for an IDPA or USPSA sanctioned club where you can practice shooting from your holster and work on your gun safety skills.

Consider taking a handgun safety class to reinforce the safety and handling skills.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web. :guns:

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
A warm welcome from North Texas! My brother lives near River Falls.

You have a great gun! Congratulations! You should get training on how to properly and safely handle your pistol. I suggest that if you want to do dry-fire practice, follow the suggestions above. But also, select a room for dry fire and remove ALL live ammunition from it. Then, go into another room and unload the pistol and make it safe. Always do this, and resist the temptation to fool about with a loaded pistol. It will go off when you least expect it or want it to.

Oh yes, the Cross Breed Super Tuck is an excellent inside the waistband (IWB) holster. I carry a PT140 MilPro in an El Paso Saddlery IWB holster. Check Massad Ayoob's Concealed Carry Manual for suggestions. When you carry, be sure to go one size larger on your waist size. The larger size will help conceal the weapon.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts