Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I think you should find a gun range that allows testing of their guns on their range using their ammo. Deals can be had for a flat rate where you can try what they have in stock. They can give you some training as well. Go with the gun you get the best results on the range with. Picking a gun without a knowledge base is bad practice. What you need is experience. The deal I describe is one way to get that experience, safely, surely, and with verified results, ie the targets you shoot at.

Browse around this site, these shops are in KC area, but many more shops offering similar training and familiarization around the US.

https://frontier-justice.com/

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Personally I would go with the Walther. My son and I rented one at the range and it felt great in the hand and shot point of aim.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
Welcome to the site. You will find no lack of opinions and recommendations around here.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I would tell a rookie to firearms : Buy a Taurus G3 ( cheep ) and lots of ammo

Would you buy a Corvette for your first car

·
Registered
305 Posts
The Tristar C100 is a nice gun (I have one), but I've had no experience with either of the two you mention. This is a tough time to be gun shopping--all the stores have severely limited inventory right now due to the double whammy of Covid-19/"Protests".

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
21,962 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum! This is a great place to hang out, learn, kill time, be enabled if you're considering spending money (especially on guns)!

Now, on to your question, I'm going to ask one of my own. What are you going to use it for? Tough to answer without hearing you discuss that.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Ok, is it common practice if you don't know whether to buy the Escalade or the Tahoe and ask the Ford dealership? Taurus makes some fantastic low cost firearms and also some rather expensive ones. On a TAURUS firearms board, we would only be serving our best interests by recommending Taurus firearms. Unlike other brand based boards, if one's a piece of garbage, we'll tell you that as well. Our "loyalty" must be earned with quality, not brand name.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I agree with Trotline.
I am not familiar with the Tristar T100, but i do have a Creed. It's a very good, basic gun, and the price for it is good. I like my Creed!

Guns are like cars, people have different needs and wants in their cars.
Some are willing to pay a lot of money for a Top of the Line product (for a car, think Mercedes Benz - for a gun, think Sig Sauer).
Some want a big glitzy shiny piece of chrome (Car: 60's era Cadillac - Gun: nickel plated Colt Python)
Some want something big, stable, and dependable (Car: Ford Explorer - Gun: Glock 17)
And then there are some that want value and dependability (Car: Toyota Corolla - Gun: Taurus G2C)

I think the Taurus G2C delivers the best product for the price (best value). I like that it has an external manual safety, as well as some inner safeties; I like the Round-in-Chamber indicator that can be felt in the dark; I like the capacity of rounds that it holds (especially for a small gun); I like how easy it breaks down for cleaning; and I like the way it feels.
If you want a full size gun, you might also consider the Taurus G3, or TH9.

If you get a Taurus, the Sig boys will look down at you the way the Mercedes people look down at Toyota.
BTW, I drive a Toyota Corolla.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i have a tri-star t100 .made in turkey .aluminum frame . i like the fact its hammer fired and double action - single action . non -operators like my self can carry it with a round in the chamber more safely . the tri-star t and c series guns are cz 75 clones . cz grips , magazines , and springs kits are interchangeable . i liked it enough to buy a longer barrel version
of it ---------

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The gun would mainly be for carrying in the car/home defense as there was recently a "protest" less than a quarter mile from my house and I didn't feel protected. The t100 felt great in my hand and it was tungsten finish if that matters (I personally like the aesthetics of it more). Joined this site because you guys seemed more friendly than any of the other forums and more objective.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Try before you buy if you can. There's nothing like having 1st hand experience to use to as a base for a decision.

What fits my hand might not fit yours. If it's uncomfortable to shoot, you won't shoot it. If it's too big or small for you to manipulate well, you won't shoot it well, will get frustrated and won't shoot it.

Either way, not shooting it means you won't get better with it and you're responsible for every round you send down range in a self defense situation.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
The gun would mainly be for carrying in the car/home defense as there was recently a "protest" less than a quarter mile from my house and I didn't feel protected. The t100 felt great in my hand and it was tungsten finish if that matters (I personally like the aesthetics of it more). Joined this site because you guys seemed more friendly than any of the other forums and more objective.
Thank you. That has to be some of the kindest words a new user has ever said to us. I have tried the creed and it was "eh, another 9mm". the Tristar I have not but if it's patterned off the CZ75 it will be a much nicer firearm.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
17,582 Posts
Hard to go wrong with anything Walther. You might check the price and availability of magazines and holsters. Sometimes the brand name guns have more stuff available.

·
21,962 Posts
The gun would mainly be for carrying in the car/home defense as there was recently a "protest" less than a quarter mile from my house and I didn't feel protected.
Okay, that's about what I expected, but working from assumptions ain't smart, especially unnecessarily. You say you're new to guns, so now's your chance to get some good habits started. It also means you need a lot of practice. You want safe, simple, and good ergonomics. Capacity matters, but even with today's unrest I haven't heard of anyone swapping magazines or running dry.

I like the size of the guns you've picked. And the quality, especially of the Walther. I absolutely do not like the Walther's striker fired system with no thumb safety. I know there are tons of shooters who disagree with me, but I consider these sorts of Glock-like systems to be unsafe. Sure, all you have to do is be perfect with your trigger discipline (keeping your finger off the trigger until you're on target, ready to shoot). I believe in a perfect man, but I've yet to meet Him face to face. The creed has a 6.5# trigger pull and no external safety whatsoever. I consider that like carrying a 1911 in condition zero. I wouldn't do it on a $1000 bet, and I've been shooting for decades. If a family member told me they wanted to start off with this guy, I'd offer to pay for something safer out of my pocket to dissuade them.

The T100 is very old school in that it's a DA/SA mechanism. The first shot is like a revolver being fired double action, and I've read that it's a heavy trigger pull in this pistol. Then, after that first shot, the next shots will be single action; much lighter pressure to fire, and much less trigger movement to fire. This was sort of popular - maybe common is a better word than popular - in the 90s, but has fallen out of favor for a while now. I'd say for good reason. The feel and quality of the trigger are a huge part of using a handgun. It's very, very important. A radical change in trigger behavior between the first shot and the second is a really bad idea. Yes, I know that's what the Army's Berettas did. I qualified expert with it. I really dislike it. I don't own a single firearm that uses this system. But at least the Beretta and most other DA/SA guns have a decocker. That's a lever that lowers the hammer to make the pistol ready for that first DA shot, with little or no risk of the hammer slipping and firing the gun accidentally. Well, the T100 requires you to pull the trigger with one hand while lowering the hammer with the other. Automatic disqualification in today's world. Heck, even the Soviet Makarov designed in the 1950s did better than that. The worst part about the Makarov? That first DA trigger pull was awfully heavy, making it very hard to put the first round on target, and then you get to switch to those light, radically different SA next shots. Well, I've also read that the T100 has a very, very heavy DA pull.

Having said all that, if you can find a T100 to try out, and you think you'll like it and be able to learn the system, go for it - especially if it fits your hand well. I'm sharing some conventional wisdom here, and some very personal opinions that few would call conventional wisdom. There are folks who absolutely loving doing carpentry with feet and inches, and some who love the metric system. It's your gun. But since it's your first, food for though is useful.

So, now that I've shared thoughts about those two, what else could I suggest?

Let me make two suggestions. Whatever you get, you need to practice. Modern pistols have gotten a lot more intuitive and ergonomic, but training and practice are still essential. So whatever you choose, learn the system and practice a lot.

Which brings me to my first suggest. The most versatile, useful handgun around is a 3" .357 revolver. They aren't too hard to shoot well, because of the sight radius of the 3" barrel. But that barrel isn't too hard to conceal, either. And .357 is one of the greatest handgun rounds of all time. I'd say it and .45ACP pretty much are the best two. Which is better depends on the application. But .357 can be a lot to handle, so the icing on the cake is that a .357 will also shoot .38 special. So that revolver will shoot anything from pussycat .38 target loads to hard cast lead slugs that would ruin a mountain lion's day. Models worth considering include the Ruger GP100 or SP101, the Charter Mag Pug, the new Colt King Cobra (spendy), or the Taurus 692. Full disclosure, I've held a grudge against S&W since the Clinton administration, and they can take a hike. But I have heard some very disturbing things about their quality control and customer service recently, too.

Now, here's another big advantage of a double action revolver, that's particularly relevant to you. Stuff some snap caps in there, and you can do some really effective training dirt cheap. If you want to, you can also buy laser rounds for even better training, although that takes the cost from $20 to $120. But you can train exactly as you'd fight. Very, very effective. And of course most of these revolvers give you the option of using the safe, smooth DA trigger, or thumb cocking for a more precise shot. It's one of the best advantages of the traditional modern revolver.

The other suggestion I'd make is something similar to the Creed, but with a thumb safety. Options I know of include the Sig 365 (they make them with thumb safeties - those are the ones I mean here); the Taurus G2C (yes, this is a Taurus site, but we're independent and we call a spade a spade around here - the G2S and related pistols are really good.) or G2S/PT709/PT740 if you want it to be slightly easier to conceal; the Springfield XD models that have a thumb safety; and there are a couple more. The metal framed alternatives, which generally have better triggers in my experience than anything polymer framed, include the Kimber Micro family (excellent), the Sig P938, the Rock Island Baby Rock (.380), or any Commander size 1911.

That's what I'd get if I were in your shoes. A 1911 with a 4" or 4.25" barrel. The 1911 is the greatest fighting handgun of all time. The ergonomics are exceptional, the trigger is The Best, .45ACP is one of the two Greats as mentioned above, and if you want to you can also get them in .40 or 9mm.

Okay, that's probably about enough from me. For now. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 777Driver
1 - 20 of 50 Posts