Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum. Today I bought a PT 740 and was curious about others experiences with this handgun. As a female with small hands, I really liked the feel of it in my hand and the fact that I can easily conceal it. I have not been to the range yet, but I expect a good kick with it. I'm not afraid of that, I've been shooting all my life, all different long guns and handguns. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was.
Thanks in Advance!

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum. Today I bought a PT 740 and was curious about others experiences with this handgun. As a female with small hands, I really liked the feel of it in my hand and the fact that I can easily conceal it. I have not been to the range yet, but I expect a good kick with it. I'm not afraid of that, I've been shooting all my life, all different long guns and handguns. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was.
Thanks in Advance!
Welcome to TA.net!

I don't own a 740 but there are plenty of folks here who do and I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this weapon.

· Registered
15,049 Posts
Welcome to TA.net!

I don't own a 740 but there are plenty of folks here who do and I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this weapon.
Ditto what Marinevietvet said. And welcome from South Tulsa.

· Registered
123 Posts
I own the PT 740, bought it new a couple weeks ago. My first trip to the range with it was good. I fired 80 rounds of target ammo with no problems. However my wife, 5'10", I would consider strong didnt like the gun. Too much snap for her. She did however shoot a 1911 .45 that same day and loved that gun. Of course thats a full frame gun and a pleasure to shoot in anyones hands I imagine but too big to carry in a purse etc...

Dont want to discourage you, its all personal preference. Its definitely a more than ampul gun for conceal carry. My wife is going with a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380

As far as quality, its a good solid gun. Taurus is a good company with a lifetime warranty and for the price its hard to beat.

Good luck, let us know how you like it

· Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, glad to have you. Are there any gun ranges where you are that rent guns to use at the range? If so see if they have a 740 you can rent and try out. I have a 24/7 G2 in 40 S&W and love it. This is my carry gun and I like it so much I just bought one in 9MM to gift to my dad after I break it in. Now the long wait until it comes in next week.

· Registered
8,812 Posts
You'll really like the 740. It's my favorite CCW. Does beat me up on the the range (arthritis), but she's accurate and dependable. Have the 709, too. Really adore the Slims. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine - and pretty sure you will.

Also, welcome to the forum.

· Registered
312 Posts
Welcome from north Louisiana! I too have the 740 and love it. You may want to get the Pearce grip extensions and hogue grips for it to get a better hold on it. I have the extensions on mine, and i have the grip, just haven't put it on yet to try it out.

· Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
Thanks in Advance!
Greetings from the Magnolia State…Mississippi!

We are always pleased :D when a new member joins our ranks.

My opinion of the Taurus PT740 Slim pistol is that it is one of the finest handguns on the market today for concealed carry. It is slim, compact, lightweight, easily concealed, and mine has been 100% reliable for the past eighteen months that I've carried it.

The recoil of the little dynamo is quite snappy, but keep in mind that the Slim series pistols were not designed to be used primarily as "range pistols"...they were designed to be what they are: excellent self-defense carry pistols.

Should you ever have a mechanical or safety issue with the pistol, it is reassuring to know that Taurus International will repair it for the lifetime of the firearm.

Attachments

· Registered
40 Posts
Like others have said, the Hogue Handall JR slip-on grip with Pearce mag extensions will help you keep a grip on it. Haven't shot the 740 but it's next on my "to buy" list. I have the 709 and it has less recoil than other 9mm's I have shot. Mainly from the heavy recoil spring. Makes it harder to rack especially with the thin slide but it tames the recoil well. Not sure if the 740 is similar.

· Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from Dallas!
I have the 709, and although I don't use grip extensions, I do use the Hogue Jr. grip on it. I basically grip any handgun with my middle 2 fingers anyway, and didn't want the extra grip length due to better concealment. I love it.
I think you'll enjoy the 740. Like Wino said, it can get to be a beating at the range, but for CC and self defense it's one of the best.

· Registered
7,865 Posts
Welcome.

The 740 is my first Taurus. it does have some snap, but it's far from punishing. In my mind, its not much different from similar size 9mm. For it's size, it's deadly accurate. Very easy to land a full mag into a paper plate at 20 yards. Well, once you figure out how to move the trigger back without disturbing the aim! Always a chore with small guns.

I mentioned the 740 being my first T, that's because last week I picked up my second. All the colts and springfields are starting to worry...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.