Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to WV a few months ago from Murderland, eh-hem, Maryland and even though i know its legal to open carry here, i am very apprehensive about it and still have not carried anywhere. With all the stories about the "swatters" and cops harassing open carriers and me just now getting used to the idea of actually having gun rights, i'm still scared to open carry. Is anyone else here in WV that can help put my mind at ease? do the cops screw with you here or do they just let you go on about your business?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I live in Georgia open or concealed carry is fine (with weapons carry permit), the question is do you really want the bad guy that walked in the store behind you to know you have a gun? He may just take you out first before going for the cash. But if concealed you may catch him with his attention elsewhere.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I live in Georgia open or concealed carry is fine (with weapons carry permit), the question is do you really want the bad guy that walked in the store behind you to know you have a gun? He may just take you out first before going for the cash. But if concealed you may catch him with his attention elsewhere.
This really isn't directed specifically toward you but I really wish people would just stop caring one way or the other on the oc versus cc thing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It's all about being comfortable. I seldom go full OC, even though it is legal here (I too live in Georgia). I regularly 'lazy CC', though. Full frame pistol in an Aliengear IWB without a cover garment. Sometimes II deep conceal, usually at business meetings where I don't want firearm rights and opinions to be part of the conversation. If you are really nervous, get a small voice recorder and stick it in your pocket. Turn it on when you leave the house. It's not as good as video, but it's lots better than nothing. You can buy one that is a USB stick with a mic for under $20 on Amazon.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
AZ is an open carry friendly state, and the wife and I have done it a few times, but I think we both feel a little less "self conscious" when we pull the t-shirt up over it. One, I feel odd advertising it to potential BGs, swatters, attitude-adjusting-power-control-trip cops, etc. Two, I think I prefer the element of surprise, by not being the tubby guy who curls up on the floor begging for his life, but instead being the tubby guy no one expected to put up a fight.

OTOH, as soon as I get a nice show-off holster for my pt1911, I will prob carry it open more.

·
22,836 Posts
We do have some WV members on the site. Hopefully they'll weigh in soon. But I've never heard of the police in WV displaying a Maryland attitude about guns.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
In this part of Michigan open carry is pretty much no big deal, about the only attention you get is by the five year old kid in the store tugging on his mom and pointing at your firearm. Open carrying while riding my Harley attracts much more attention from the tourists from out of state than the LEO's and they generally have better things to do than bother bikers, but I prefer to CC and not attract the attention but that is just me.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Hi SUZUKIBRUCE, I live in Southern WV, on the border of KY. I don't OC. I don't have a problem with OC, but the local sheriffs office and city pd both recommend against it. No one locally (that I've seen) open carries. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but where I am I just never see it. My thought is this, if no one else does it then I don't want to be the one to shake the tree. If the new Constitutional Carry legislation goes through I might try and OC; then again, I might not.

If there are others in your area that OC, maybe give it a shot. Also, I'd ask around the local gun shops and see if you can get a feel for what the local PD think about the subject.

Those are my thoughts. YMMV. BTW, my wife and I are both former MDers. Welcome to Almost Heaven, WV!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I live in the mountains in the western end of Va. (in the half of the state that is still Va) and I don't see a lot of OC. However, when I
do see or do it, nobody seems to pay any attention to it.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I talked to our local sheriff about open carry about a year ago and found out he was a big support of our gun rights in WV. He said that his people were well aware of all of the gun laws in our state. Check with your local sheriff for more details. I open carried for months before getting my permit. Now I do not have to worry about weather it is covered or not.. I never leave home with out my side arm..

Reactions: Waltherfan01

·
Registered
232 Posts
AZ is an open carry friendly state, and the wife and I have done it a few times, but I think we both feel a little less "self conscious" when we pull the t-shirt up over it. One, I feel odd advertising it to potential BGs, swatters, attitude-adjusting-power-control-trip cops, etc. Two, I think I prefer the element of surprise, by not being the tubby guy who curls up on the floor begging for his life, but instead being the tubby guy no one expected to put up a fight.

OTOH, as soon as I get a nice show-off holster for my pt1911, I will prob carry it open more.
Forgive the ignorance, but what is a "swatter?"

rd

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I live in SC but right on the SC/NC border so I spend a good bit of time in the Charlotte area. I open carry when I go to some of the smaller towns around Charlotte but not actually in Charlotte as it has become a more liberal leaning city with all of the northerners moving south.

One town(my wifes home town) where I always OC has 4 sheriff deputies assigned to the area, I know all 4 by name and have even helped one break up a fight in the Walmart parking lot.

All this to say, most officers in gun friendly states(especially smaller towns) know that the people who open carry are not the people who they should be concerned about. Start small, take a trip to Walmart or the grocery store with a jacket or other garment that can be used as cover if you become uncomfortable. But you will realize that most people don't care or won't even notice.

·
Super Moderator
19,939 Posts
Welcome to our humble site. And welcome to firearms freedom. I'm another Georgian so OC and CC are fine here. And, with all due respect to the OC naysayers, there is absolutely no evidence that OC is less safe than CC. Only thing I ask us to carry yourself respectfully if you OC. Remember that the folks you encounter when you OC are the ones who will be voting on gun related legislation, etc.

Reactions: bigC

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome!!
I am allowed to open carry, but don't.
I prefer to have the unknown upper hand in case of an altercation.
The only place I open carry is on my property.

btw, I see many OC in Wally World. Called the W-W walk.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Forgive the ignorance, but what is a "swatter?"

rd
A "swatter" is someone who sees someone carrying a weapon and deliberately calls 911 and hysterically claims there is someone with a gun waving it around and threatening to shoot people. The police respond with the S.W.A.T. team to take the poor schnook down. They usually have no idea what is going down when it happens. Some have been shot by overly aggressive S.W.A.T. actions. The actual perp (usually an anti gunner) frequently gets away laughing. Recently, police have been arresting some of them for filing a false police report.

Swatting was also used against neighbors who the perp doesn't like.

Reactions: daytonaredeye
1 - 15 of 15 Posts