Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK All, I am new to the TCP. I have done some searches and saw some of the feeding issues others are having. But my feeding issue is a little different.

The slide seems to lock back almost always with 1 round still left in the mag. It happens about 80% of the time. Ran about 100 rounds today - brand new.

I saw some of the issues were feeding issues on most rounds in the mag. Mine is always a locked slide with only a single round left.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Josh

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Forum!
Now, is this happening with only one mag, or multiples? There is an enhancement sticky on this 700's board that has great pics and how-to do enhancements.
i would check out the mag closely to see if it has any extra plastic that is catching where it shouldn't...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey BMC, thanks for the welcome, and the reply. The gun only came with a single mag but a buddy also has a TCP and used his mags. Same thing. So it appears that the problem is with the gun. I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same issue.

The other strange thing about the failure is that the mag comes out freely - meaning the round is not jammed into the feed ramp. So the slide is actually locked back.

Any idea??

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are you using Winchester white box ammo? Switch to other brand. When new my TCP,s did not like winchester ammo. I reload now so my two TCP,s work fine with any ammo so far.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are firing a round nose bullet, try something with a "narrower shape". I cast/reload a 102 gr round nose that gives me that problem. It doesn't happen with any other ammo. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
There's a chance the last round is hitting the slide lock, Sometimes it's just the last round I think because the magazine follower is holding it in a slightly different position compared to the other rounds in the mag, which all have another round under them, causing them to be in a slightly different position. Mine did this a little, but not every round. It eventually went away.

In the TCP enhancements and reliability sticky there's a procedure for rounding of the slide stop. A different bullet profile may fix the problem too.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/40279-tcp-738-reliability-enhancements.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to update everyone - I bought a new Taurus brand magazine for it and the new magazine will NOT go into the gun without pressing in the mag release.

Any idea what that is all about??

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I want to update everyone - I bought a new Taurus brand magazine for it and the new magazine will NOT go into the gun without pressing in the mag release.

Any idea what that is all about??
Which series TCP do you have (A, B, or C)? Then second part to this which type of mag did you get from Taurus? If you have an earlier than 60,000A series you need certain mags...and the flip side is that mags for the early A series won't work in the later A, B, or C series TCPs...

clear as mud?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey BMC, thanks for the welcome, and the reply. The gun only came with a single mag but a buddy also has a TCP and used his mags. Same thing. So it appears that the problem is with the gun. I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same issue.

The other strange thing about the failure is that the mag comes out freely - meaning the round is not jammed into the feed ramp. So the slide is actually locked back.

Any idea??
Mine did the same thing. Filed a tiny bit off the corner of the slide stop and no more problem. See post 18

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/40279-tcp-738-reliability-enhancements-2.html

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Since you have an A series gun, the mag you purchase is probably for the B and C model. You should definitely take a look at the TCP enhancements link that has been offered up on this thread a couple of times. They really do help the TCP function better. I did them to the wife's C model and her gun has been flawless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts