Taurus Firearm Forum banner

New TCP Owner, new to mini-pistols

11K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  911DISPATCHER 
#1 ·
Hello all,
This is my first real hideaway gun. My other handguns are a CZ75 and a Bersa .22. They are both fun shooters and fit my hand well. Both of those are all steel and heavy enough to never disappear. This TCP is just amazing how compact it is.
I just got the TCP last week and haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. It is a C model, so should have all of the improvements.
I have broken it down and down and cleaned it and then done a light lube.
I have cycled snap caps through it 100+ times and am fairly impressed with the consistent feeding and ejecting based on the horror stories. It does leave bite marks on the lip of the case from the ejector, but I don't know if that is good or bad since the snap caps are fairly soft.
I bought a Desantis Nemesis back pocket holster and have carried it enough to get comfortable in how it feels in my pocket.

That DAO trigger is the first thing that stands out. It was a ton better than the LCP and P3AT I checked out, but it is still long. That combined with the small grip area is really going to affect accuracy.
I am assuming that the normal polish job would help the trigger. Has anyone tried a MOS2 lube on the trigger and slide? Any recommendations?
I have seen the grip sleeves and magazine extensions, but I am a little worried about adding on to a gun that I bought because it is small. It will end up being a preference thing, but does anyone have a Nemesis holster with an add-on and have comments?

Last thing is of course ammo. It looks like Hornady Critical Defense is the consensus carry ammo, but what is the bare-bones preference for practice ammo. Right now it looks like it is whatever you can find, but I would like to buy it in bulk when available and don't want a big quantity of problematic ammo.

Love the community

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the TA forum, and congratulations on the TCP!

I have the 709, and although I don't use grip extensions, I do have a slip on grip (Hogue). One consideration you need to keep in mind is, if you do opt for a rubber grip, it can really make it more difficult if you pocket carry. The rubber is kind of "sticky" if you have it enclosed in that manner. I don't pocket carry my 709, so I do use the grip, but if I wanted to pocket it (which is not really an option, unless it's cargo shorts/pants in a large pocket), I wouldn't want the grip in place.

The extensions are a "your mileage may vary" addition. In some cases, people have encountered FTF problems due to their pinky pressure on the bottom of the mag causing misalignment of the magazine. I don't have large hands, but I also was taught years ago to grip mainly with my middle two fingers, even on large frame 1911 style handguns. My 709 feels perfect in my hands. Also, the extension does add to the length of the grip, which may detract from the concealment goal.

You just have to try some options and go with what you like best!

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the ranks of happy TCP owners/carriers. I can't imagine a more concealable and comfortable pistol than Taurus's little .380. I quite often forget, consciously at least, that I'm carrying it. There will be more satisfied TCP owners along who will provide direction to a list of enhancements for it elsewhere in the forum. It's still too early on a Saturday morning for me, I can't find it right now.

I see that you're new here. Welcome to the best forum on the internet! Newcomers get free Saturday brunch at the virtual cafe, so find a virtual table and help yourself to all you can virtually eat. One of our wealthy and overpaid moderators will gladly pick up the virtual tab for you. :D

#5 ·
Welcome from StL. MO! Practice is the key. Reigning in a small gun with a short barrel and ( for sd) a hot round has its challenges. A range where you can draw and rapid fire would be good. Look for an IDPA BUG match. The strings are taylored to lower round counts but you will have at least one mag change per section - another valuable skill. AND if you have a problem (double feed, fte, etc) you will / should learn to fix it on the clock/fly. You can also set these problems up with any form of dummy round. It's all about knowing what to do and muscle memory!

#6 ·
Welcome and practice....I prefer not to climb down any smaller than a compact....The recoil makes it harder for a follow up shot if need be...That is me you have fun and enjoy

#7 ·
Congratulations and good luck with your new TCP. Here are a few comments and/or suggestions based on your post.

I put Traction grips on mine - they're not quite as good as the one-piece Talon grips I use on my other pistol (don't think they're available for the TCP?), but do a reasonable job of improving the purchase on the tiny pistol, without adding to its size, etc. IMHO the improved grip helps with the percieved recoil. I agree the trigger is better than some of its competitors and I haven't felt the need to try to alter it, other than through; use, cleaning and lubrication. I use Super Lube teflon impregnated clear synthetic grease on the rails of all my pistols, including the TCP with good results. For non-sliding areas I use either a light coating of Hoppe's oil, or Remoil spray. My prefered carry load is either Winchester PDX1, or Ranger-T. For practice I like the same grain FMJ from Privi because of its cost and good results with it so far. Of course as we all know, availability may have more to do with what we use for the time being as anything else. After trying a couple different holsters, I've returned to my favorite with my other carry pistol - the Remora with a sweat shield.

#8 ·
I bought some Blazer practice ammo with my TCB just to have somethignh to run through it for break in. It's the aluminium jacketed stuff. It is the dirties ammo I have ever shot... Cleaned it to start with and after 12 rounds cleaned it again. I htink I am just going ot shoot them up and get something else for practive but never Blaszers again.

#9 ·
I haven't had much luck finding bulk ammo online but am on the waiting list several places. No breath-holding at this point. I have only about 50 rounds but I am dropping in several places in the area so eventually will hit something. I just have a problem paying more than $25 a box for range ammo.

My plan is to get a couple of hundred rounds and then go to my parent's farm and do a bunch of paper plate on fencepost shooting. From there I will decide whether I want some grip enhancement. I really like my Hogue Grips on my CZ75 but I can see where a rubber grip on a pocket gun would get hung up easily.

#10 ·
Welcome from Oklahoma. Congratulations on your new firearm.

#12 ·
To improve accuracy with the trigger, I take up the slack, refine my aim, then fire. There is a place where the trigger pauses near the end of the stroke. I find that I can hold it there without having an AD, although I only do that when I am pointing at a target and intend to fire.

A good grip, firm wrist and arm are essential to avoid limp wristing it and having misfeeds. The recoil is very snappy. I put a strip of hockey tape on the back of the grip to tame the cheese grater.

The most dependably feeding SD round in my TCP is Hornady Critical Defense, so it is my carry ammo. The conical shape of the bullets really helps prevent misfeeds where the tip of the bullet stops against the almost vertical feed ramp, which happens with me sometimes using FMJ target ammo.

#13 ·
Welcome from little ole New Hampshire & Congrats on your latest addition !

#14 ·
The hesitation before firing on the trigger pull is more a remembered point than a felt point on mine. A little more polishing and some lube will make any grittiness or hesitation completely disappear.
From a practical standpoint, I will probably end up practicing by pulling all the way through the trigger pull anyway because that is how these little guns would be used in a "situation". Less friction would be less deviation in the point of aim.

On a related note: I have been amazed at the waiting times that people are saying they had to get their guns. My wait was the 5 minutes it took for them to call in the background check. The paperwork took longer than the wait.

#15 ·
Before buying in bulk I would try a few different brands, every once in a while someone will get a picky TCP. Mine was a little picky at first, after a couple hundred rounds it ate everything just fine. Seems to me most people had no problems with PMC for range practice. Same goes with the SD rounds, some can be picky with certain bullet profiles.

#17 ·
Congrats on your 738!

Search through the 700 threads and you will find a lot of good info on small autos. Be sure and read through eGumpher's 738 reliability stickie over in the smithing forums.

Good info on holsters in the Concealed Carry forums. I would suggest a good pocket holster and a good CrossBreed MiniTuck or one of its many clones to handle all your CC needs. The IWB MiniTuck will allow you to CC in a suit and even pull your jacket off without anyone being the wiser about our CCW. In a pocket holster, I look for one that the holster comes off as you draw and if it doesn't you can still fire at least once with the holster still in place, if need be. I like the hook kind that catch the edge of our pocket as you draw.

Use those snap caps and dry fire about a thousand, or more, times. This will allow you to learn control of that trigger (find out where the notch in the pull is) as well as smooth out the trigger itself. Forget about double taps, ain't gonna happen with a DAO.

#19 ·
I will head over to the smithing forums to check out the recommendations. I don't want to go too far before establishing a baseline but it will be a good "to do" list for later.
I have been looking at the mini tuck holsters and I would love to have one, but I have a hard time justifying $50-$100 for a holster for something that slips into your pocket. I keep looking at one of the supertucks for my CZ75, but I just can't justify carrying that big heavy gun if I have the TCP.
The sub-$20 Desantis Nemesis was about my price point and my intended mode of carrying it. I will definitely keep my eye out for a deal if it comes up on the mini-tuck.

Hopefully I will get lucky on my sweep of big box and LGS and find a few boxes of ammo for my first range time. I keep wanting to jump right in and buy in bulk, but holding off to see if it is picky probably makes sense.

As for pictures, it pretty much looks the same as all the rest of the TCPs right out of the box. It is the all-black version with one magazine. Hopefully they will come out with the factory 8rd magazine before long so that I can get that one as a second, but I may end up getting another 6rd in the meantime.

#32 ·
My only .02 would be that my wife just bought a 238 Sig because it's a heavier gun. Heavier usually helps with the recoil, and it isn't THAT heavy (Not a cobra).
She liked the Sig out of the LCP, TCP, Bodyguard and a P230 sig. Me, I got the TCP because I wanted small and cheap. I've got my comfort gun(s) and the TCP is just for carry in summer or camping. Can't beat the feel of a big gun on my hip, but not practical in July in Michigan.

#20 ·
My wife and I have a CPL. She wanted a smaller pistol to carry so we went shopping. Looking at several .380's, she chose the PT 738 stainless version because she said it fit her hand best and liked the looks :). Comparing it to the LCP personally I liked the trigger better on the 738. This is our first Taurus.

I'm not familiar with pocket carries as having a Glock 17 & 26 etc. but it seemed to be a decent pistol and the price was right so we bought it. Her 738 so far has go through over 200 rds with no issues using various ammo, but I first cleaned, oiled then ran the slide a few hundred times before shooting out of the box. I do that with most new pistols out of habit I guess. She cleans it after each session as it does get dirty.

Now I'm looking at getting a pocket pistol for myself. Preferring 9mm there are however no options for one that small, so it will be .380. I spent the last 2 weeks handling several .380's: Bodyguard, P380, LCP, DB8, P238.
These are only my opinions, others may differ:

Bodyguard 380:
Pros- nice feel and fit, just an overall nice looking gun.
Cons- laser is not important to me. I also don't care for a safety, but because of the long trigger really isn't needed. It could be considered an extra safety feature. The sight was too high profile for my liking possibly causing snagging.

Kahr P380:
Pros- I really like this gun, have shot it and know a few that own one. High quality, shoots well.
Cons- Price too high for my taste and purpose (pocket carry & backup). I have also heard there are some rounds that don't feed well on this gun but can't swear to it. If someone could verify this please post.
It should be noted Kahr has announced the CW380, an econo-version of the P380, priced right. Unfortunately it won't be available for another 3+ months.

Ruger LCP:
See above; and have heard of issues with this model, but could be isolated cases. I like the 738 better, one reason is slide open after last shot.

Diamondback DB8:
Pros- cost, nice grip for larger hands. Seems to be a Glock micro copycat in some respects. I seriously considered this gun.
Con- parts availability and not much history behind them. Also, on their website it states using +P and +P+ ammo voids the warranty. That right there turned me off.

Sig P238:
Pros- Just an awesome, reliable solid gun, have shot it several times.
Cons- Heavy (compared to others), basically a baby 1911, single action w/safety; not my choice for pocket carry. Cost is up there too.

I must say after looking at several other pocket carry pistols, and having carried my wife's Taurus 738, I keep going back to it as my preferred choice, but would add a grip extension. It just seems to be the best bang for the buck. If there are other recommendations, please don't hesitate.

#24 ·
Now I'm looking at getting a pocket pistol for myself. Preferring 9mm there are however no options for one that small, so it will be .380. .
Actually there is!!
the Sig Sauer 938.
heres a comparison between the Sig 238, (you know its the same size as the TCP 738), and the Sig 938.
recoil is no worse than the 238, which is waaaayyy better than the TCP738.
I shot both 115 grain and 124 grain FMJ and self defense loads in the 938 (no plus P) and could have shot it for hours with no problem.
it is rated for plus p I just didn't have any with me.

Attachments

Reactions: BMC
#21 ·
I took my wife's new TCP to the range yesterday to cycle some rounds through it. Initially it was plagued by not cycling some rounds, but found one of the mags to be the problem. Taurus is sending another. Also as someone mentioned, the almost vertical feed ramp is an issue for this one. After 100 rounds it seems to have smoothed out some. I did have two fail to feed out of the first 50 rounds, but none out of the next 50. The accuracy can be spot on! Although it's not designed to be a highly accurate range pistol, it can be. Once you find the trigger break point, you can put a round through an existing hole! I was amazed at the accuracy of this pistol. Now with that said, for me it's highly uncomfortable to shoot repeatedly. With not a lot of hand real estate, and a rather snappy double action reset, it pinched my finger a couple of times. But again, a range pistol is not the purpose of this firearm. For what it was designed for Taurus gets an A+! I may even have to get me one, but for now I'm enjoying my new Mil G2. This thing could be a tack driver with some practice. I'm loving it!

#22 ·
Welcome and congrats on your new TCP it is a great little pocket gun. This is my first pocket semi-auto. Beside my s&w 642 its the smallest gun I have/fired. I did get a pachmyr grip sleeve that works wonderfully for me. I carry the TCP in a bulldog wallet holster and it draws smoothly from my back pocket. Good accuracy from at 7 yds and so far completely reliable. A variety of practice ammo is hard to find but it eats the magtech and federal I get here easily.

#23 ·
I love the Hogue grips, and like the Pachmyr but... the purpose of my TCP is small and slim concealed carry. I tried them, and the width defeated my purpose so... I purchased the Tractiongrips and Really like them (I don't have 6 or 12 months experience with them yet) for the price, traction and the ability to maintain the slim factor. I have large (not extra large) hands and the grip just feels more manageable for me now.

I purchased a Remora 3in1 ankle holster setup for a couple of reasons... the remora quality and tackiness is outstanding, the reviews are great, the 3in1 gives me the IWB holster, the ankle option, and the large velcro area (covered w/ IWB) for other creative mounting options. I also wanted their sweat-shield for carry in the summer in South Florida.

I have a high end .380 with 13 shot magazines and used to experience an occasional jam, until I found Pow'rBall ammo. It's awesome and what I use in my .380s. I really like the PDX1 and Hydra-Shock ammo as well... but for my .380's, it's Pow'rBall.

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks for the holster tips. I've been eying the Remora, but there are so many choices its hard to decide. Do you know which one is for pocket carry?

P.S. A year or two ago I never would have imagined owning/carrying a "toy" .380 LOL. I just bought my own TCP, black version, so my wife can still say her bare stainless version looks nicer.

#27 · (Edited)
agreed, if 1/4 of an inch makes that a bigger gun then you are right, but actually by the time that you place them in a holster then i doubt that you will notice any difference at all.
of course in the 1/4 of an inch you get a manual safety, a true set of sights, ability to change grips to any number of choices, and both factory and factory extended magazines.
and the additional weight (which by the way varies by which model that you get, you cite one of the heavier ones! ) helps tremendously in recoil and ability to shoot the gun accurately.
Certainly if one is not happy carrying a cocked and locked weapon then thats an isue, as for whether its carried in a hip holster, a IWB or a pocket holster however i miss that entire arguement, actually my worry if i had one would be more carrying a cocked and locked IWB, but again its just as safe to carry in the pocket as on the hip with a weapon of this type.
what you do get by carrying a single action psitol is a very good trigger pull, the ability of very fast followup shots and generally a better accuracy due to these 2 factors.
But no need for all this heres a side by side the Sig 238 VS the Taurus TCP 738, notice in the one picture that the Taurus is on top of the big old Sig 238.
As I own and carry or have carried both I am a bit familair with both of them.

Attachments

#28 ·
It is interesting the different approaches people take to the pocket guns.
I was looking for an inexpensive pocket gun to do occasional practice with but to prioritize concealability and reliability.
A lot of other people are willing to pay extra for something a little more jewel-like.
I will never really enjoy this pistol as a range gun. My hand would be much happier with a 22 target pistol or a full sized automatic.
To each his/her own.
My next pistol will probably be a target 22 even though the little Bersa 22 I have is fun to shoot even if it is not really target-quality.
My TCP is a niche gun and will probably not see 1000 rounds through it in its' lifetime. It will most likely have the finish worn through several times from holster wear in that same time period.

#29 ·
I got the 2L-ART-SS which gave me a sweat-shield (higher on the side closest to the body) SS I guess; lower on the open side for a little easier access ART I guess; and the 2 is the size for the TCP. It is small and fits in the pocket for carry. Hope that helps some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.