Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a brand new Taurus owner and picked up my TCP yesterday at my LGS. I have a couple of questions and I'm hoping you fine folks can help me out.

1. I broke down the gun to clean it yesterday and for some weird reason, I can't get the disassembly latch to go back in all the way. I've lined up the hole properly, but when I insert the latch, the slide won't move forward. Any suggestions?

2. Does anyone know of a place online that sells replacement latches? I broke part of the lip off yesterday when I was trying to remove it.

I want to get this gun to the range so bad, but it's out of commission for now until I get a new latch and figure out why the slide isn't cooperating.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! You might google TCP takedown and assembly and find a helpful video. I'm personally not familiar with the TCP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from West Texas! You might google TCP takedown and assembly and find a helpful video. I'm personally not familiar with the TCP.
Thanks for the welcome! :)

I have tried some vids on youtube and they all make it look easy. For some reason mine is being stubborn like a mule.

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
I am guessing you did not clear the retaining spring and pushed it forwards when re-inserting the pin. You may have bent the spring catch doing so. All polymer pocket .380's have this retaining spring. You have to work the retaining pin past this spring when you initially re-insert the pin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am guessing you did not clear the retaining spring and pushed it forwards when re-inserting the pin. You may have bent the spring catch doing so. All polymer pocket .380's have this retaining spring. You have to work the retaining pin past this spring when you initially re-insert the pin.
I can see the metal spring inside th hole and am inserting the pin in. Its just for some reason the pin isn't seating all the way flush and the slide won't move. I took a small wooden dowl, inserted it just to check function and with the dowl, the slide works. So it must be something with the pin itself.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would take the slide back off and insert the pin into the frame to see if it will go all the way in. There is a groove in the pin near the head that the spring should pop into when the pin is inserted all the way in. If it goes all the way in, then you have a problem not related to the pin.

Before you inserted the pin, was the muzzle end of the barrel even with the front of the frame with the slide locked back? If not, that could be your problem. As you are inserting the slide, you have to push the chamber end of the barrel down so it will release from the locked position in the slide. Otherwise, the barrel will be too far back in the frame.

E. J.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Once you have the barrel hole lined up with the hole that the pin goes in, I have to point the pin up and to the right a little bit to get it past whatever that lil thing is that is in the way. I don't FORCE it but try to coerce it in. If it doesn't work, take it out and double check everything and do it again!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I start the pin in the frame first before I install the slide. I make sure the pin is flush with the inside of the frame, then install the slide. seems to work best for be? Almost need a thrid hand to hold the slide back align the barrel and install the pin.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net!

I had a TCP PT738 for a while, and the pin in mine was always a pain in the butt to re-insert. (Very frustrating!)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net!

I had a TCP PT738 for a while, and the pin in mine was always a pain in the butt to re-insert. (Very frustrating!)
what did you do with it or why did you get rid of it? Message me if you want. Tx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts