Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a Taurus TCP on Friday. I went to shoot it yesterday and with the first shot experienced a VERY big problem. The slide is locked. Not back, but forward--as in it will not move but maybe 1/8 of an inch.

The first shot locked it pretty tight, so that I had to put some effort into working the slide, though not a lot more than normal. I dismissed it as a fluke and continued shooting. I shoot three more shots without a problem, but then...
The fourth shot locked it up so tight no amount of force, begging and pleading to a variety of deities will dislodge the round stuck in the chamber or move the slide. I have no idea why this has happened.

Other information:
It is a series B TCP, two-toned stainless slide. I was shooting TulAmmo steel-cased 91 grain ammo that is FMJ. (I shoot this in my AK and Glock all the time and have never had a problem). I cleaned it very good before shooting. The Security lock is off.

-------Forgot to add:
There is a Live Round now lodged in the chamber. I am given to understand I can't send the blasted thing back with a live round lodged in it, correct? I would think the mail would frown on mailing loaded guns.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Yes, that's a big problem. It's hung up with a live round in it, yes? I can't offhand think of any safe thing other than trying to get it in battery and firing the cartridge. If you can't get it in battery then the effort will be to get that cartridge out somehow while keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Squeezing the slide in a padded vise comes to mind. Then one can more or less pound fore and aft on the frame until that sucker is out and the gun is safe to send back to Miami.

I bet there are five guys on this forum, at least, with better ideas.

·
Super Moderator
40,578 Posts
Did you buy it locally or from the internet. If locally take it back to the dealer and let them help you. Sorry for the bad luck, I'm sure someone will be along to offer more help.

By the may Welcome to the forum you are in the right place for help with your Taurus.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
First call Taurus and let them know what's up. If they can't help you over the phone, see if they'll foot the bill for a gunsmith to get the slide off and the round out of the chamber. I love Bre, but in this case I don't think I'd pound on it with a hammer with a live round in the tube. It's a dangerous situation, so be careful.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Can you take out the take down pin? I've been able to get mine out without having the slide locked open.

If you can get the take down pin out, you should be able to pull the slide forward off the frame.

Another thing is, there is a small pin in the top of the slide in front of the rear sights. That is the firing pin retaining pin. I could see if that slipped down into the gun part way that the slide would not be able to move backwards. That retaining pin is supposed to be flush with the top of the slide.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Here's another thought too. Another member recently had a PT145 IIRC and he had difficulty removing the slide. He traced the problem back to the key lock which was partially engaged. It still allowed the weapon to fire, but was obstructing the slide and preventing it from coming off. I'm not sure how the key lock works on the TCP, but it might not be a bad idea to make sure it's fully rotated to the off position. JAT.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I agree with -call Taurus.

If you get this resolved.....then rethink your ammo choice. Tula is not worth the savings. I have had trouble with it in 2 380's.
I also have the "B" series TCP in the 26,000 range. I have only had trouble with this gun. I have not had it a year yet, only 78 rounds through it, 3 trips to the factory, after it returned the last trip- I retired it. I'll do something with it- but I will not shoot it again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd only shoot steel cased stuff in AR's and AK's, etc... even then I'm not a fan of it when there is brass that's not much more expensive. Best of luck getting it fixed, mine is at Taurus as I type, but I'm willing to give them the chance to repair it (take down pin worked its way out).

With a live round chambered that's a tough one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
With a live round in the pipe I would do nothing until I called Taurus.. Life is to short ( And could be shortened ) For you or someone else if you make a mistake !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all, thanks everyone for taking the time to offering advice and comments.

Yeah, I'm going to be giving Taurus a call in the morning. I've always had bad luck with 380s so hopefully they'll help me break the curse.

As far as Tula goes, I do think I'm done with it in everything except 7.62 and you're all correct about the savings thing (Federal was only $2 more on the box, which I only noticed after paying for the stuff I had. I suppose that happens when you have a three year old son with you bouncing around trying to get into everything his little paws will reach). Even if Tula didn't aggravate a preexisting condition on the TCP, I don't think I could much bring myself to load another magazine of the stuff.

The thing I hate worst about the whole situation was how in love my wife was with the TCP. She already laid plans to get her CCW and was shopping for carrying options, holsters, and the whole shebang.

But here's to hope that it will get fixed and be 100% after taking the trip to Miami.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
First of all, thanks everyone for taking the time to offering advice and comments.

Yeah, I'm going to be giving Taurus a call in the morning. I've always had bad luck with 380s so hopefully they'll help me break the curse.

As far as Tula goes, I do think I'm done with it in everything except 7.62 and you're all correct about the savings thing (Federal was only $2 more on the box, which I only noticed after paying for the stuff I had. I suppose that happens when you have a three year old son with you bouncing around trying to get into everything his little paws will reach). Even if Tula didn't aggravate a preexisting condition on the TCP, I don't think I could much bring myself to load another magazine of the stuff.

The thing I hate worst about the whole situation was how in love my wife was with the TCP. She already laid plans to get her CCW and was shopping for carrying options, holsters, and the whole shebang.

But here's to hope that it will get fixed and be 100% after taking the trip to Miami.
Yeah - don't give up on it yet. Lots of members love their TCP's. And every manufacturer lets one get by them from time to time. Did you see the post from the member who had to send his ruger back in? They replaced most of the pistol and sent it back to him with a bunch of new parts. Unfortunately the barrel they installed didn't have any rifling in it! And you can find horror stories about every manufacturer out there. Every manufacturer doesn't provide a lifetime warranty that transfers with the weapon though. And in the first year Taurus will even pay the shipping to and from. Call 'em, send it in if that's what needs to happen, and test it thoroughly when you get it back. You might still wind up loving it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh Yeah, I fully understood I was buying a $200 pocket pistol when I got it, Not a $2,000 custom 1911.

I mean, yeah it sucks but eh it happens.

I'll just do my normal 300 rounds when I get it back and proceed from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its the ammo... I bought a few boxes of tulammo myself a few weeks back got in my car hopped on the forums read some reviews and was a little bit upset, seen that there were others who have bought this ammo and noticed it was holding the slide back and they would have to force it to seat correctly, got home went to load one in the chamber to see and it did the same, held it open slightly and was extremely hard to eject... also read that one guy broke his gun (tcp) with this ammo. I own a tcp myself and have put a little over 500 rounds thru it and am completely satisfied.... I shoot remington, pmc bronze for target and have the horandy critical defense for protection... try other ammo u will be happy with ur gun. As far as the live round in the chamber I don't know what to tell u

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Oh Yeah, I fully understood I was buying a $200 pocket pistol when I got it, Not a $2,000 custom 1911.

I mean, yeah it sucks but eh it happens.

I'll just do my normal 300 rounds when I get it back and proceed from there.

it can most definitely happen regardless of brand! My TCP is one of my handguns that I've NEVER had an issue with. I'm sure you'll get this problem squared away...best of luck and remember to keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
It's the Tula, I've had the same problem. I pulled the pin and and removed the slide/barrel. Then a little tapping with a plastic mallet on the exposed portion of the barrel in the ejection port freed it. Tap, don't hammer.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
With my cast bullet design work, I have managed to lock up a action more than once. Working with cast bullets your bullet is always .001" to .002" over groove diameter for a good seal so it doesn't take much from there to end up with a very tight fit in the forward part of the chamber when the case thickness is added to that increase bullet diameter. I realize that you are not shooting cast bullets but I suspect the thickness of the steel cases completes the math that binds the cartridge.

With the Taurus and cast bullets this is complicated by their use of over bore spec barrels on their semi autos, so the bullets need to be even larger in diameter, yet the chambers are still cut to the SAAMI spec. It makes for a very critical fit in the bullet design.

What I do is use the edge of my target backstop frame against the one of the upper corners of the slide while applying pressure to the stock. Before this starts, I make sure I have my eye and ear protection is in place and I am wearing good work gloves. The gloves are to protect my knuckles more than anything. When I do this, I do it on my range with the pistol in a position to where if it discharges it is pointed safely at the berm behind the target backstop fram. I've never had anyone around when I do this, I spend a lot of solo time on my range, but if there was I would want them to move well behind me. Without saying it, this is a golden opportunity to shoot yourself. I've never had a problem but I go slow and and always have the muzzle safely downrange. I would also agree with pulling the take down pin first but I've had slides with so much pressure on them that the pins will not come out.

You do not list your location but if you were close enough to me, I would take care of it for you.

Once clear, there is no doubt that the ammunition should not be used. Even if the slide where to go into battery, it is obvious that the tight fit could cause some pressure issues inside the chamber as the case is going to have a tough time letting the bullet go.

As luck would have it, I had come into the house for a bit of a range break and saw this post. I thought about responding but wanted to finish up working out some issues with a new PT25 and my 25 ACP cast bullet. This pistol has the same over diameter barrel that my 25PLY has but the chamber is just a tad tighter so the cartridge is seating hard in the chamber. The hang up is right at the step and into the leade. Within a few minutes of leaving this post, I had a case failure because of this tight fit.

The case at the web let go because there was just too much of a bind at the front of the case. The bullet left the barrel and struck the target. This is a blowback action so it is not as bad if this had happened on a locked breech like the TCP.

I

I used an "easy out" to remove the remainder of the case. I have 250 Speer 35-grain Gold Dots that I will go ahead and run through the firearm. This will provided a little erosion to help with the tight fit at the junction of the step and leade.

I would check around with the local gunsmiths to see if any will unstick the cartridge. Once that is done I would shoot another brand of ammo as I suspect that this will not be an issue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are you sure it has a live round in it? You can check by sliding a pencil down the bore eraser first until it stops, make a mark on the pencil at the end of the barrel, remove the pencil and hold the pencil beside the slide with the mark at the end of the slide. Where the end of the eraser is should tell you. If it does have a live round I would try Ranch Dog's suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
With the Tula, I blame the extractor groove for this. When I tried to use these with the moon clips on my M380, you couldn't close the cylinder. Remove the clips and they shot fine.

With the TCP the Tula .380 worked, until I sent my TCP back to the factory and it ended up with a new extractor. Then it locked up on the first round. It shoots everything else perfectly. If you compare the Tula to just about anything else you'll plainly see how thick the rim is aft of the extractor groove.

Of course the TCP got a new barrel too. But once I got it freed up a Tula cartridge would chamber fine, but I couldn't slide it under extractor manually. It's only with the .380 that I've had this problem with Tula. My PT638 does seem to work fine with it though. I pretty much just avoid it now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you Chicharrones problem solved

Another thing is, there is a small pin in the top of the slide in front of the rear sights. That is the firing pin retaining pin. I could see if that slipped down into the gun part way that the slide would not be able to move backwards. That retaining pin is supposed to be flush with the top of the slide.
I was able to get the pin out with the slide locked forward and found that firing pin thingy was indeed dropped down. So I pushed it back flush, my next question is what causes it to drop out like that and can it be prevented?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts