Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked a new TCP 738 last week. Soul purpose is to carry as a back up/secondary firearm for working purposes. I went with the Taurus TCP for a few reasons. Mostly that I already own 2 24/7's and have been very pleased with them both.
My report as follows:
I shot approx. 100 rds of white box Winchester. The firearm performed flawlessly. Not one single problem to report. I was worried after reading the recent posts and the problems some members were having.
I have no pictures, but I was able to keep all rounds within a 6" circle at 7 yrds, a 6" to 10" circle at 15 yrds.
I shot approx. 20 rds at 25 yrds, hitting an 18" circle 11 times and inside a 24" circle the remaining 9 rds. With being a back up weapon, I foresee any use up close and personal and am more then pleased with its performance.
I also shot 20 rds of my intended carry rounds. Winchester PDX1 95 gr. I concentrated my practice at the 5-10 yrd range. I was able to put all 20 rds inside a 10" circle.

I will comment though it did take some getting use to. The grip is extremely thin and short. I had to try several different holding techniques until I found one to work. I had to hold onto the firearm extremely tight for at times I felt as though it could come out of my hand during recoil. I will be looking at either some type of Hoque grip or pinky type extension.
I do not want to due to much to increase size or weight because the whole reason I purchased is for its size and conceal ability.

In conclusion:
I would highly recommend this firearm. I have already ordered another one prior to my range testing. My wife wanted one as soon as she saw mine. I can only hope that the next one is as good as this one. Probably the best $ 195.00 I have ever spend.

Reactions: clloydm

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Well, good luck with it.
Mine is on its way back to Miami for the 3rd time. Total round count is 160. I can't seem to get over 50 rounds through it before a major malfunction.
Mine is a "B" model in the 26,000 range. I am not happy with it at all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm happy with mine. I took it to the range last friday and put all rounds in a 4" circle.

I put a Crimson Trace Lasergrip on mine. I wasn't really big on lasers but this one has made me a convert. Not only is it great in low light situations but it's a great dryfire training aid.

I"ve gotten use to the grip and it doesn't bother me that much. It does take some getting used to.

One more thing, mine loves PMC ammo but does not like Wally World federal. It does ok with Winchester White box but I've never had a problem with PMC>

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, good luck with it.
Mine is on its way back to Miami for the 3rd time. Total round count is 160. I can't seem to get over 50 rounds through it before a major malfunction.
Mine is a "B" model in the 26,000 range. I am not happy with it at all.
Very sorry to hear about your 738. I have been following your issues. Once you said it was a "B" series I checked. Mine is in the very early 10,000 C. I have been really lucky with all 3 of my Tauruses. No problems with any of them and very accurate. I hope they can get you squared away. Good Luck!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FAST 20-
I am looking into them. I think that is about all I would need or want. Just a little something to offset the slickness.

If possible, could you let me know where and approx.rice for the pachmyre. Is there a model number?
Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
I made a mistake and got a Hogue Handall Jr. for my 732. It did not fit the extra short grip very well. Even though I ended up having to trim off the finger bump, the extra girth and traction are very nice. Definitely go with the Pachmayr Grip Glove. I'm going to add one to my next order for ammo or whatever. They're about $10 online. I believe the Pachmayr # is 05176.

Reactions: dingo3497

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made a mistake and got a Hogue Handall Jr. for my 732. It did not fit the extra short grip very well. Even though I ended up having to trim off the finger bump, the extra girth and traction are very nice. Definitely go with the Pachmayr Grip Glove. I'm going to add one to my next order for ammo or whatever. They're about $10 online. I believe the Pachmayr # is 05176.
You are correct with the model number. I just ordered 2 for 13.00ea./ free shipping. With just the littlest added grip as these will provide will make the firearm perfect for my needs.
Thanks for the info.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Dude...where are they selling for $195.00?

BTW...Congrats on your great range report.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dude...where are they selling for $195.00?

BTW...Congrats on your great range report.
My local gun dealer ordered me one. I had to wait a little longer then quoted. Original price was 219.00 out the door including all back ground checks and taxes. When I arrived he gave me it all for $195.00. The only thing I did not get was the holster that comes with most. Everything was there, new in the box. I brought it home and my wife liked it so much that I had to order another one. The dealer said I could get the same deal. I guess he likes me or something. My serial number is in the low 10,000's C So I assume it is fairly new.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts