Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to carry a SW jFrame .38 and this is my first Semi-Auto. So I'm new to Taurus, Semi-Auto, and the .380 caliber itself! I have searched this forum and found "TCP 738 reliability enhancements by egumpher" and a few ammo recommendations threads. My question today is what are the recommended steps to break-in the TCP 738? I plan to put 200 rounds of mixed FMJ and a box of critical defense through it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Oh and my serial is 37xxxB. Two-tone black and stainless with two mags and a fanny pack. :D

IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1200.JPG

·
Registered
85 Posts
Really all that's needed is a thorough cleaning and then shoot a couple of boxes of ammo. If any other issues show up they can be addressed as they come up. I doubt you'll have any problems, they run well. If you have feed problems you can make sure your magazines are properly shaped as detailed in the thread on modifying them for reliability, but that seems to have only been an issue with the A models. Just remember that at this size the pistols can possibly be picky about ammo so be sure to take an assortment of ammo with you to test.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
1) field strip the weapon, get some pressurized synthetic safe Gun Scrubber, and regular cleaning kit, spray the gun scrubber in all the little nooks and crannies (including the firing pin hole) then clean with the regular solvent in the gun cleaning kit, clean the weapon throughly , lubricate it ( running it just a tad on the wet side) then reasseemble, be sure and disassmble the magazines and clean them as well.
2) get yourself some 380 FMJ projectiles that have round noses and run them through the gun.
once that you feel the weapon is functioning 120% then try different self defense ammo until you find one that works in the gun.
3) understand that the micro 380 compact is a totally different world than a revolver,any revolver!
you need to present a good firm platform and good support arm and grip for the pistol to function properly.
welcome to the forum and hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife bought me a cleaning kit for christmas but I will have to get some "Gun Scrubber". Thanks for the tips. I field stripped it tonight but I will wait to clean it. What oil do you recommend? I have Wal-Mart and Academy close by or I could order online. Oh yea pics added in the first post!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 2 pt738 and they only need a little oil at first they aren't that dirty like the Taurus models that come from Brazil they are made in florida and not greased up like the others, just check it and see but give it a little extra oil for break in not to much but a little extra and about 100rds or so will loosen it up good and use FMJ until its running good use any name brand gun oil then clean it after brake in and always carry it clean .Good luck

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
What oil do you recommend?
Personally, I prefer RemOil in the pressurized spray can. I've been using it for years on both my long guns and handguns.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
My wife bought me a cleaning kit for christmas but I will have to get some "Gun Scrubber". Thanks for the tips. I field stripped it tonight but I will wait to clean it. What oil do you recommend? I have Wal-Mart and Academy close by or I could order online. Oh yea pics added in the first post!
I reality in the urban enviroment (not the jungle, arctic, or hot sand of the mideast) any good gun oil will work, actually many people use motor oils actually, I don't personally.
if you have a gun cleaning kit then use the solvent and oil in it , do get the gun scrubber for the hard to reach areas.
after the pistol has been used a bit and once you see how it functions you may want to go to some of the higher quality lubricants for the weapon.
Personally I use Hoppes #9 to clean, CLP to lubricate anything that pivots or turns and i use tetra grease on the slides and rails.
I would mention that the gun scrubber is not to only remove oils /grease that are/may be in the inner workings of the pistol but also metal/polymer filings and shavings, just good cheap insurance in my opinion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also just picked up a TCP, so thank you for all of the advice. I'm going to get some remanufactured ammo from a well known guy here in Michigan for a little over $10/box so I'm excited to give the TCP a try here real soon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello,

Congratulations on the new TCP......

Your two tone TCP looks great.....got-to luv a stainless steel slide....

Shoot the pistol enough to get confident with it. A 380 compact kicks pretty hard and I find it hard to put more than 100 rounds through it without pain...your approach is sound.....I would shoot two 50 round boxes of name brand range ammo first.......start with well known name brand stuff....then move on to defensive ammo...

Congrats and best regards
Eric

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
One more thing, if you are going to shoot more then 50 rounds in a range session, I suggest taking the cleaning kit with you. While I was breaking in mine I started to have problems around the 50 round range. A field stripping and cleaning was all it took to be problem free again. Think it also gave the little gun some time to start to cool down. 700+ rounds and I have found PMC works the best for practice rounds and Critical Defense has been 100% problem free after 3 boxes of 20. A little expensize but well worth it to me if it is problem free.

Reactions: thoricuncle

·
Registered
45 Posts
One more thing, if you are going to shoot more then 50 rounds in a range session, I suggest taking the cleaning kit with you. While I was breaking in mine I started to have problems around the 50 round range. A field stripping and cleaning was all it took to be problem free again. Think it also gave the little gun some time to start to cool down. 700+ rounds and I have found PMC works the best for practice rounds and Critical Defense has been 100% problem free after 3 boxes of 20. A little expensize but well worth it to me if it is problem free.
What revision TCP do you have?

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I can shoot the tcp 738 more than 50 rounds but honestly really don't want to.
the recoil is stiff but what gets me and my old beat up fireman hands is that they start to cramp up a bit from holding the little gun.
and good advice about overheating the lil heater as well, i give mine generous cool period when loading th mags and will even walk away from the firing line if it begins to heat up to much.
Every weapon is different in what ammo it eats, mine and "A" model pretty much runs on anything so far except the USA 380 FMJ thats a flat point, it will choke occasionally on that but runs on the Winchester thats the same basic setup????
who knows???
several self defense rounds seem to work pretty god like Hornady FTX (critcal defense) , Speer gold dot and Remington Golden Sabres,Corbon powerball, but any gun can dislike any ammo so check them for function!
remember there are no "time Outs" in a gun fihgt, maybe a football gmae but not a gunfight.

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
What revision TCP do you have?
Serial# 19xxxB

When I first got mine I could not get over 50 rounds with out problems. A quick cleaning and I was fine. Last trip to the range I shot 78 rounds problem free with out cleaning. If I remember correctly after around 250 rounds I did not have to clean it any more in the middle of a range session.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Serial# 19xxxB

When I first got mine I could not get over 50 rounds with out problems. A quick cleaning and I was fine. Last trip to the range I shot 78 rounds problem free with out cleaning. If I remember correctly after around 250 rounds I did not have to clean it any more in the middle of a range session.
I just got one that is 14XXXC. I'm not sure if C is another revision or if it is simply one labeled as C due to not including two mags and that pouch thing. Mine came in a black plastic taurus box with one mag, keys, and the manual. I'm going to take mine to the range hopefully soon and see what I can put through it without any issues. I will get it a thorough cleaning and look over some of the tips people put on the forum here before going. I will be shooting re-manufactured ammo since it is so cheap and hopefully that doesn't give me any issues. We shall see...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put alot of rounds through my 738. I have large hands. I found it is very controllable with the Pachmayr palm swell sleeve and the magazine extensions from Gunz N Gripz Home Page. I find that with these mods it is now quite comfortable to shoot. I still think it needs a little stronger recoil spring because now and then I get brass in the forehead. This is my lightweight pocket gun and the extensions don't make much difference in the carry aspect, either size or weight.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just use good 'ole 3 in 1 oil.
If my hand starts to get tired shooting the TCP I switch over to something else and give my hand a chance to rest. You could always practice shooting weak hand too...

·
Registered
85 Posts
You got it in a plastic case? My B came with the two mags/pouch but a cheap little cardboard box! I can't see the 1mag and pouch being worth $75 in price difference and on top of that you got a proper box with it. Sounds like the current C model buyers are getting a REALLY good deal on the TCP nowadays!

·
Registered
45 Posts
You got it in a plastic case? My B came with the two mags/pouch but a cheap little cardboard box! I can't see the 1mag and pouch being worth $75 in price difference and on top of that you got a proper box with it. Sounds like the current C model buyers are getting a REALLY good deal on the TCP nowadays!
Yeah it is a newer package deal with less stuff/fluff for less money. The case isn't bad by any means and I didn't want to pouch thing. I am in the market for an extra mag or two though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts