Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Taurus fans, This looks like it will be a good forum!!!

Does anybody have any info on the new PT 809. It looks like it's a Hi Capacity 9mm? I don't see a lock on the slide like on my PT145 or the 24/7. It looks to be SA/DA with decocker and take down levers like a Glock?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've never heard of this, but it reminds me some of the OSS 24/7 with the decocker/safety and the SA/DA. Is this a polymer frame? Interesting... what other calibers or just the 9mm?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting, very interesting. I haven't heard of this model before. It looks pretty neat though. Going to have to do some research on it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Red.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yes, very interesting new offering from Taurus. I'm always intersted in new 9mm products. Do we know what the capacity is? It looks like a double stack. Is it available yet? Does it come in .40 S&W or just 9mm?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ran a search on the taurus gun selector and found no matches. Must have been a prototype at the shot show. Will keep looking for info anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
looks nice...i want one in .40 or .45 :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Wonder if this could have been a JCP prototype? But that program has morphed so many times I'm not sure what it's status or requirements currently are.

Steelheart

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just noticed the ambidexterous (SP?) safety. This is getting to be a more common feature. I'm seeing other manufacturers coming out with this now.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Steelheart said:
Wonder if this could have been a JCP prototype? But that program has morphed so many times I'm not sure what it's status or requirements currently are.

Steelheart
Took another look at the pic myself. I must have been on something strange when I thought about the JCP prototype. Noticed the above mentioned ambi safety. Then spotted the Glock-style takedown levers. The grip is reminicent of the 24/7 family and it's obviously a poly frame. Then you toss in the rail. The external hammer makes me suspect a DA/SA action. Barrel length is what, 3-4"?

I'd suspect we will see this gun in both 9 and 40 with a slight chance of 357 sig.

I do like that the safety works the "right" direction, down is fire. Just like the 1911 family. 8)

Steelheart

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Looks like a Poly Framed replacement for the recently discontinued PT909. Could the rest of the PT900 series (PT911, PT938, PT940, PT945) be far behind in being replaced by Poly Framed models?

In general, I'm not into the Poly Framed Pistols, these days, but I could be tempted by this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To me it looks like a 24/7 combined with a Beretta PX4. Look at the shape, the removeble backstraps, the glock type takedown lever, exposed hammer and decock, and the unmistakable vertical line design on the grip all like the PX4. I like it as it seems to combine the best of two great pistols!

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I believe that the barrel length will be only 4.00", as it was on the PT909, which this pistol replaces. Would be nice for Canada if they would extend the barrel another 0.25". Perhaps a Canadian Model could be made. The barrel would stick out from the slide a bit more, but I wouldn't care, were I in Canada!

The frame does have some design similarities to the Beretta PX4 and Walther P99, but the locking system is more like the SigArms and Glock Pistols. The Beretta PX4 uses a rotating Barrel Lockup, as is present on the Beretta Cougar Series Pistols.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
It's on the 'must have' list now. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts