Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a 738 the other day, cleaned it, put some nail polish on the sights (red front, white rear) and took it to the range yesterday with my girl for a quick 100 rounds, but we had some issues. First off I want to say, it's a great little gun and fits the hand well. The trigger feels pretty good for this type of pistol as well. It is also surprisingly accurate. We thoroughly enjoyed it and I would love to carry it daily.

Unfortunately like I said, there were problems. So the big issue I was having, was that if I pulled the trigger really slowly, sometimes the hammer would not fall and I would have to re-cock the slide. Whenever I pulled the trigger quickly or even semi-slowly it was fine, but while taking my time to make shots, it would sometimes plain not fire (it's like the trigger wanted to travel just a hairrrr further to fire, but could not go any further). It seemed like the issue went away the last 25 rounds or so, but I cannot be sure. Anyone had this issue? Should I send it to Taurus?

Other 3 issues were minor.
1 - One FTE while my girlfriend was firing, which we attributed to limp-wristing.
2 - Shot about 2 inches low. I haven't tried off of a bench to be sure, but I suppose I may be filing a tad off the front sight. No biggie.
3 - When I initially field stripped the weapon, during re-assembly I had trouble with getting the barrel to come all the way forward in order to insert the pin. I had to play with it a bunch and finally after trying like a gazillion times, it just worked.

So if anyone has any suggestions about what to do or any comments about any of this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh and Hi :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
You need to completely pull the trigger through to ensure you reset the trigger. The trigger pull is long but smooth.
1 - you are probably correct
2 - there is little enough sights to begin with and as the gun is meant for close range, i wouldnt shave off any sight. The TCP is fairly accurate. Try it from a bench first.
3 - inserting the pin into the TCP is notoriously difficult. Just takes patience. There are other suggestions on the forum for possible easier ways to mod the pin, etc etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You need to completely pull the trigger through to ensure you reset the trigger. The trigger pull is long but smooth.
1 - you are probably correct
2 - there is little enough sights to begin with and as the gun is meant for close range, i wouldnt shave off any sight. The TCP is fairly accurate. Try it from a bench first.
3 - inserting the pin into the TCP is notoriously difficult. Just takes patience. There are other suggestions on the forum for possible easier ways to mod the pin, etc etc.
Trust me, I let the trigger all the way out and pulled it all the way back and it happened several times. This was not the false reset problem I read about, it was that literally, the gun would not fire when pulling the trigger realll slow.

1- Agree ;)
2-Yeah maybe I'll just leave it. And you're right, verrry accurate for what it is.
3- The problem wasn't inserting the pin - it was that the barrel wasn't going all the way forward to be in position for the pin to go in. A whole bunch of times, the barrel only stuck out like half an inch from the slide instead of going all the way out and flush with the bottom half. It was literally impossible to get the barrel to come out any further or to get the pin in. Then magically on the last try, the barrel came all the way forward and the pin slid in (of course).

In any case I'll probably take it out again next week. Next time I'll get the problem on my gopro if it occurs (I was actually filming but no FTF/FTE happened during filming).

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Y'all may want to fix her grip. Left thumb where she had it is a surefire way to get snakebit.
Nice clear video. Very good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you reassemble the slide onto the frame, you need to push the chamber end of the barrel down as you push the slide back to engage the slide lock. That will allow the barrel to stay in the forward position so you can insert the pin. When you put the barrel and the spring back into the slide, it is held in the locked position by the pressure of the spring. The pin is what cams the barrel down out of the locked position in normal use. With the pin out, the barrel will remain in the locked position unless you push the chamber end of the barrel down manually while returning the slide to the frame.

I hope I explained that clearly.

E. J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y'all may want to fix her grip. Left thumb where she had it is a surefire way to get snakebit.
Nice clear video. Very good.
Thanks I didn't notice. It was her first time with a pistol and we were in and out rather quickly.

When you reassemble the slide onto the frame, you need to push the chamber end of the barrel down as you push the slide back to engage the slide lock. That will allow the barrel to stay in the forward position so you can insert the pin. When you put the barrel and the spring back into the slide, it is held in the locked position by the pressure of the spring. The pin is what cams the barrel down out of the locked position in normal use. With the pin out, the barrel will remain in the locked position unless you push the chamber end of the barrel down manually while returning the slide to the frame.

I hope I explained that clearly.

E. J.
Sure did, thanks.

Still wondering wth is going on with the trigger though.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Brand new? Needs breakin.
Couple hundred more rounds should smooth it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brand new? Needs breakin.
Couple hundred more rounds should smooth it out.
I hope so but we're not talking about smoothing out anything - literally the gun will not fire sometimes. To me this sounds like a pretty serious issue that would prove rather shitty should I ever have to actually use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts