Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have got to say I have been lurking around this site for quite some time now since I purchased my first handgun a few months ago, Taurus PT709. First of all I have to say wow what a gun! It shoots anything I put in it and is deadly accurate. I have been wanting to start carrying it since I live in a somewhat sketchy apartment complex and go for walks quite often. However, I have been having trouble concealing it, maybe because I have a weird shaped body? I dunno, but I do have a Uncle Mike's size 12 IWB(noob holster I know) that seems to be an okay holster. I am about 5'6-5'7 and weigh around 160lbs. When I have the gun and holster in my waistband, my pants feel really tight and there is an obvious "omg that guy has a loaded gun" bulge showing in my shirt. I was just wondering if you guys could suggest anything to help me out, should I consider buying a size bigger pants? Also here's a picture of the gun, hope you guys like it! taurus.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

A size larger pants or looser shirt may do the trick. Where on your body you carry it may have something to do with it as well. If you are carrying it at 3 o'clock it will stick out more than say 4 o'clock. If you're not familiar with the terms I'm using think of your belly button as 12 o'clock and your spine as 6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am familiar with the terms. I have been trying it out at 3:30-4:00 position but still too tight/bulgy. I plan on getting some bigger pants soon although I do need to hit the gym lol. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia. :wave:

I'm a big guy and have no problem concealing my 740. I have mine in a DeSantis Sof Tuck #106, I wear it in the 4 o'clock position comfortably. Size up on the pants and shirt, trust me it aids concealment a lot and a good, quality, belt is a must. Depending on what you want to spend, there are some pretty good holsters out there in every price range. The DeSantis I use can usually be got for under $25 and is probably one of the best for the price IMO.

Reactions: Wino and TXEric

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Agreed with the DeSantis 106 - that's what I use. I'm 5'8"/160-ish, with a bit of "Shiner Bock Belly" going on. Definitely want pants an extra inch larger, and an undershirt, with a large T-shirt or Hawaiian/bowling shirt untucked. Carries comfortably at 4:00-5:00 position, with minimal printing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome from Southeast Texas. This is the best site on the web, everyone's helpful and nice. Great for us new Taurus owners. My latest carry is a pt25 and a 709s. Both are fantastic guns. I already have a bag full of holsters that didn't quite make it, concealed, comfortable or fits the carry correctly. But I just got a few more from Well Armed Woman and Amazon. All three of these work well. Good luck and may the force be with you, on the search for the perfect carry holster. :wave:

·
Registered
75 Posts
One more vote for the Desantis 106. I carry at 5:00 and it seems to work well. How you dress plays a huge role in concealing well. I have no problem using my normal pants size with carrying at 5 0'clock. I did run into some problems moving it to 3 0'clock however, and it is very easy to pick up that there is a gun in my waist at 3 0'clock.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I've been in the same boat. Would you recommend the 106 in left hand for 6 o'clock carry?
You could, but would suggest getting right hand with the DeSantis 106 - with the adjustable cant, you can wear in just about any postion from 12 to 6 - at 6, you need to cant it to right and will require a wrist twist to draw and it won't sweep your butt/back when drawing. Using the left handed, you'd sweep your butt/back when drawing - and if you're right handed, 6 would be about the only position viable. That's my take, anyways. LOL

EDIT: Left out cross draw with the Sof-Tuck - so 10-12 to 6. Very versatile holster with the adjustable cant.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
It is always difficult to fit an IWB holster to a woman. You will need to have pants that provide enough room for the holster to fit inside the waistband. If you go with a CrossBreed style IWB, you can tuck your blouse inside, just make sure there is a washer of some type between the belt clip and the leather, or your blouse will bind when you try to pull it out with your off hand (meaning you won't be able to get to your gun). If you decide to carry tucked, make sure you practice pulling your blouse out to get to your pistol. Nothing worse than not being able to get to it when you need it. If you can wear something like a jacket to cover it, a good OWB holster carried behind your hip, like a Blackhawk Sherpa, will work well.

Here is a Crossbreed type holster I made for my DIL, who has a tiny waist that makes it really hard to fit an IWB holster for her.

I put a leather washer under the clips, and because she will never wear a 2" wide gun belt, I cut the clips down to handle a max of 1.5" wide gunbelt. Thinner belts will still work, but the top of the clip will peek out. I also make sure to cover the mag release so you don't accidently pop your mag out. The guard on the bottom prevents you from popping out your pistol when you sit on something that can push against the barrel. The guard is really optional and may not be an issue for a woman. I use horsehide, not only because it handles sweat better, but because it is much tougher than cowhide and you can use a thinner, more flexible piece. On a woman's waistline, even an 1/8" makes a difference in comfort and appearance.

This is another one without the guard but on a very thin piece of horsehide and .060" Kydex for a 738. This is the thinnest one I've ever made, so I am waiting to hear back on how it holds up.

I make my own holsters as a hobby, so I've done a little research. I just wanted to pass on a little of what I've learned to show you what to look for. MY DIL was having a hard time finding a holster that worked for her until I sat down and figured out what would work for her. As I said, it is not easy to fit a holster to a woman. Rather than buy off the shelf, I would call around to some of the holster makers, like CrossBreed, and ask if they make holsters specifically for women. Better to pay a little more for a good holster than buying several trying to find the one that works for you.

Reactions: sasquatch40

·
Registered
80 Posts
I carry my 709 in a Remora holster also, and it works well. A little larger size shirt will help conceal (one with a pattern) and a size larger pants will make it more comfortable. Welcome to the forum, lot of good info.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Jessie, I am about your size at 5' 6", 150 lbs. I've been carrying my 709 in a Galco IWB holster. It works pretty well in a pair of jeans that fit a little loose and a pair of khakis the same. I cover with a loose shirt worn tail out. Polo shirts work OK too if they are not too tight or clingy. The best are Hawaiian or outdoor oriented styles. I tried the De Santis 106 but it did not fit the 709 at all. Fits my 5 shot .38 great though. I don't carry the .38 because the cylinder is too wide. The 709 is much flatter. I just ordered a Simply Rugged Cuda and will post a review when it comes.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Check out the you tube video review of Remora holsters by Faliaphotography. It is a good good review of the holster, and she shows where she positions it, how it conceals with clothing, etc.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Appendix to 2:30 should work well for concealment with your build too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts